Quality Control: Missing Images and Diagrams in John Frame's "A History of Western Philosophy"

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 29 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 753
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 1:41 PM

I apologize for the delay on this one. I also apologize for being over-zealous in my estimate on when it would be updated. There are other projects ahead of this in line and we're looking at finishing it by April. 

Posts 383
Adam Olean | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 21 2016 12:10 PM

Kyle G. Anderson:

Adam Olean:

Kyle G. Anderson:

We've now gotten feedback from P&R. We can begin the process of including the images. At this point it's too early to give an exact date that work will be done. I'm hopeful it will be with in a month.

Thanks, Kyle! I am looking forward to the update. I assume it will include the excised "Illustration Credits," as well.

Now that there are illustrations to credit it will most certainly be included.

Kyle, I know it's been a while since the creation of this thread. I just wanted to add, however—in case you or any of your fellow Faithlife colleagues see this—that in the future, I would expect Logos to include "Illustration Credits" and accurately represent the actual text, table of contents, and general content of a book regardless of copyright restrictions on some or all its images. Even without the images, some users might actually want to track down references in their research and reading. They might want to know what's missing, so they can look it up. Moreover, they might assume that the table of contents in their "Logos Edition" actually reflects the table of contents in the print edition. How am I and other users supposed to know that Faithlife employees decided that a heading in the table of contents or the book was superfluous and, thus, excised it? As I stated above, "I would rather Faithlife accurately represent the content that's there (e.g., [the] text) [rather] than excise it [altogether] [i.e., the text this is not restricted together with the images that are restricted], even if there happen to be copyright limitations on several images. I hope that such editorial liberty in 'Logos editions' is the exception, not the norm!"

It really raises questions about just how reliable "Logos editions" actually are when the content of the text can be unnecessarily excised from the table of contents and back matter as it was in this resource. So, rather than you saying, "Now that there are illustrations to credit it will most certainly be included." I would rather hear you say, "It should have been, and will now be, included regardless of their being illustrations to credit." Please take this as constructive criticism. I hope it helps to keep in mind the perspective of those who may be using Logos for reading and research. The text and table of contents need to accurately represent the actual content that's in the book (copyright issues permitting, of course).

Thanks again for taking care of the missing images and diagrams in John Frame's A History of Western Philosophy. I'm looking forward to the update. It's these kind of books that suit the Logos/Noet platform so well! I really appreciate the excellent work that you all you do. Yes

Posts 31
George Simopoulos | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, May 23 2016 4:45 PM

Hi Kyle,

I've ceased reading this book, expecting the images to come in relatively soon. I was just wondering what the ETA is now. Thanks

Posts 753
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, May 24 2016 8:52 AM

George Simopoulos:

Hi Kyle,

I've ceased reading this book, expecting the images to come in relatively soon. I was just wondering what the ETA is now. Thanks

The updated version with diagrams and images is being pushed out on Tuesday.

Posts 383
Adam Olean | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 26 2016 11:32 AM

Kyle G. Anderson:

George Simopoulos:

Hi Kyle,

Thanks for the update, Kyle! It may a good time to tackle this book for those of us who haven't yet. Yes

Posts 834
Michael McLane | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 26 2016 1:01 PM

I am assuming that is next Tuesday, the 31st?

Posts 1092
Liam | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2016 8:56 PM

Anyone know whether the images have been added by Logos yet? Im considering this one soon. I'd also be interested in more detail given in which pictures are not included. how many images are cut out? What types of images are they? How will their absence affect my reading of this book?

Posts 12344
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 3 2016 10:26 PM

Liam:
Anyone know whether the images have been added by Logos yet? Im considering this one soon. I'd also be interested in more detail given in which pictures are not included. how many images are cut out? What types of images are they? How will their absence affect my reading of this book?

The images have been added back in. If there are still a few missing, I haven't noticed (but I don't have a print book to compare)

Posts 753
LogosEmployee
Kyle G. Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 6 2016 9:37 AM

I contacted our marketing team to have the product page updated to remove the callout.

Posts 383
Adam Olean | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 14 2016 3:50 PM

Kyle G. Anderson:

George Simopoulos:

Hi Kyle,

Hi Kyle,

It appears that there is one small problem left to resolve. If you look at the "Contents" section of this book, it does not does not include the "Illustration Credits" (as mentioned earlier in this thread and illustrated below). Otherwise, the update has been a very welcome improvement, indeed!

Page 2 of 2 (30 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS