Linux version of Logos Bible Software

Page 11 of 45 (883 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next > ... Last »
This post has 882 Replies | 44 Followers

Posts 12
sjm | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 6 2011 9:47 AM

Aaron Blumer:

The differences are just really not that numerous....

Maybe another/better question is: how hard would it be to run Android on my PC?

Maybe another/better question is: how hard would it be for Logos to write a native Linux version if they already have an Android app?

Posts 215
Simon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 3:05 AM

Maybe it is an idea for Logos to release a kind of API, and let the open source community build a Linux app based on that. That can be an API based on the Android/Ipad app, or on the Windows/Mac version which is build on .NET.

Posts 2
Dan Guinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 5 2011 8:21 PM

It should be an ethical one. Windows and the like are literally killing ministries and non-profits. They have convinced so many people that the only way to do things is to pay for them. So ministries are putting all their money into expensive "out of the box" products that rarely work, when all they need is are open source solutions and developers and freedom. If Logos knew the computing ability of Linux, they would radically change their direction on this... and save their company some money.

You don't find a market for Linux, Mr. Pritchett, it simply exist.

Posts 2
Dan Guinn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 5 2011 8:25 PM

I really like this idea Simon.

Posts 54
Andrew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 5 2011 9:07 PM

Dan, can you clarify? I might take you to be saying that ministries and non-profits should never pay for software. Also, what computing ability does Linux have that might cause Logos radically change their direction? What direction would they go? How would it save them money?

Are you saying that if Logos created a Linux version that enough people would purchase the product to pay for the development effort? It is certainly clear that not many people were willing to help post a bounty towards a working solution.

It is not clear to me how well an external API would work, but, it would be a nice start. Frankly, I was very sad that the Apple version was not developed using a cross platform solution (such as QT).

Posts 28041
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 5 2011 9:24 PM

Dan Guinn:
If Logos knew the computing ability of Linux

I am sure they already do.

Dan Guinn:
they would radically change their direction on this...

Nope. Nobody uses Linux. Why waste time on it?

Dan Guinn:
and save their company some money.

It would cost Logos a considerable amount to make a non-viable product.

Dan Guinn:
Windows and the like are literally killing ministries and non-profits. They have convinced so many people that the only way to do things is to pay for them.

I believe that volunteers in ministry are a good thing. You are right... churches don't have to pay for everything. However, most churches do not have anyone who can adequately help them with their "out of the box" computers, let alone Linux. It would be bad stewardship for most churches to invest any time learning Linux.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 5 2011 9:40 PM

Dan Guinn:
It should be an ethical one.

It is a practical issue. The Linux crowd can't even get Logos to work under WINE. Bob Pritchett has offered a reward to anyone who does make it possible. No matter how many penguins you toss out of a helicopter, you aren't going to get any of them to fly.

Dan Guinn:
Windows and the like are literally killing ministries and non-profits. They have convinced so many people that the only way to do things is to pay for them.

Hudson Taylor said, "God's work, done God's way, will never lack God's supply."     Maybe God is not behind every venture that bears his name.

PS  But we can all dream..    

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 5 2011 10:11 PM

Giving my two cents...

First of all, it's not that "easy" to port Logos over to Linux. The development tools to get it over there aren't quite ready yet. It'd pretty much be a broken experience, even if the Logos team brought all of the finest Linux guys in to try to work on it. To get the back end over to Linux, some major things would have to happen first. I do work for WeatherBug, and our map engine is similar to Logos 4's engine, and we couldn't even get a simple map engine to sing on Linux. Imagine a huge library engine.

Market share is another issue, and so is the diversity (won't say fragmentation, since Linux isn't really fragmented, but diverse). If Logos were to "work" on Linux, they'd have to either ensure it works on just about every Linux distro out there (Red Hat, Fedora, Ubuntu, the possibilities are endless), or select certain distros to support, which would probably lead to someone getting upset that Logos didn't support their particular distro. It could be a mess. With Windows and OS X, Logos has a somewhat more simplified platform to work with.

And of course there are other options, one is virtualizing Windows like you're doing now. Another is getting a Mac, which is quite Linux like, and running some of your open-source goodness on OS X (I do this with a lot of my geeky weather apps). Plus, don't forget, you can read all of your Logos books on Linux without Windows. It's called Biblia.com. Runs in any web browser and contains your entire Logos library. It's searchable, and just works, anywhere you can browse the web. Instead of investing in a Java client (which would be really puny), or trying to support certain Linux distros, I'd rather see Logos invest where our world is heading anyway. The Cloud. Being able to walk up to any browser anywhere, type in my Logos credentials, and see and search all my books, is fantastic. Add some fancy HTML5-based automated reports and additional tools that draws on your current Logos settings, and it'd be ideal. Then no matter what Linux distro or platform you'd decide to use, your Logos would go with it.

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 27989
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 6 2011 12:36 AM

Dan Guinn:
are literally killing ministries and non-profits.

Welcome to the forums Dan. Fortunately what has happened to ministries in your experience, I have not seen.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 401
Timothy Ha | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2011 6:45 AM

Simon:

Maybe it is an idea for Logos to release a kind of API, and let the open source community build a Linux app based on that. That can be an API based on the Android/Ipad app, or on the Windows/Mac version which is build on .NET.

Yes, even a closed-source API would be a good start.  And even a closed development group (maybe off-site and on-line) to make a closed-source thing.

Open source would be a problem for Logos licenses.  Books would be transferred through the API to more open things.

JesusChrist.ru - Russian Christian Portal, with free Bible software; Timh.ru - blog

Posts 118
Nicholas van Oudtshoorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 8 2011 7:32 PM

Well, there's the biblia API - but I don't think that allows the storage of any resources locally. (And if you can't do that, why not just use biblia).

What would really get the ball rolling would be if logos provided a mono/.net library for loading resources. Said library could take care of en-/de-cryption of resources, authentication of credentials etc. Being closed source wouldn't be a problem - as long as the API was documented, it would be possible to create a linux front-end. I'm guessing all this code already exists, and that separating it out/abstracting it into a general purpose library wouldn't take too many man-hours. (If it's nicely designed code, it might already be abstracted out....)

Will logos actually do this? Doubtful. But maybe if there was a developer agreement/licensing contract signed by anyone working on the code....

As for me, I haven't used logos4 in windows for *many* months - and use biblia (tweaked somewhat, I must admit!) exclusively.

Still dreaming of the complete package running in linux, though :-)

Nick

Posts 1
Larry A. Silva | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 20 2011 11:56 AM

I am in support of Logos for linux and periodically check in the hopes that there will be one.

Posts 824
GregW | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 20 2011 12:25 PM

I'm not remotely interested in this, but someone on the Spanish forum appears to have got it working on Ubuntu.  Haven't translated it as it's quite a long post. 

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/41174.aspx

Running Logos 6 Platinum and Logos Now on Surface Pro 4, 8 GB RAM, 256GB SSD, i5

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 20 2011 4:44 PM

alabama24:

Dan Guinn:
they would radically change their direction on this...

Nope. Nobody uses Linux. Why waste time on it?

... No one uses Linux... funny. We would have no Mac or PC if it weren't for Unix/Linux

Posts 28041
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 20 2011 5:02 PM

Ryan:
We would have no Mac or PC if it weren't for Unix/Linux

Unix. Not Linux.

I am not trying to be insulting, but it is the truth. Logos is a newcomer to Mac. I have a feeling that they would not have joined the party except for the large number of new Mac users. Walk around a college town and see all the MacBooks. Even still, MSFT has 85% of the market; Mac 10% at best; which leaves 5% or less for all the rest. There is NOT 2% using Linux.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 12
sjm | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 20 2011 7:27 PM

The Spanish post says basically (for Ubuntu 11.10):

1a. Install Wine

1b. Install Logos4 from following the PC installation here: http://wiki.logos.com/Getting_Started_with_Logos#Installation_.2b_Indexing

or

2. Install WinXP SP3 or better in a VirtualBox VM and then install as if you are in Windows (really because you are).

My thoughts:

A. Neither is a native Linux version and option 2 still needs Windows and it's license. 

B. It's the first I've heard of Logos working under wine (if he actually got it to run).

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 21 2011 1:44 AM

sjm:
B. It's the first I've heard of Logos working under wine (if he actually got it to run).

Using Google to translate => Software Logos en Ubuntu: SOLUCIONADO noticed a paragraph at end of Wine install:

• Well, now we have installed Wine. We can also look at the center of software: Super Button + "software center." Then we downloaded the installer Logos4 PC, we can find it in http://wiki.logos.com/Getting_Started_with_Logos # Installation_.2b_Indexing . Then, when we have the downloaded file, click the right button, properties, permissions and click on "Allow executing file as program". Once done, open the file with Wine: Right click, open with and select Wine. If it works you're a lucky! If not, friend, go to Method 2, which is infallible.

Doing a google search for wine wpf found a Microsoft development forum discussion => http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en/wpf/thread/0a4c924d-ef24-45a9-a552-6d58e5578e3a that Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) does not have a viable linux implementation (using other technologies needs significant code modification).  Logos 4 uses WPF so a Windows virtual machine is the only option for running Logos 4 on linux, which needs a valid Windows license that includes virtual use.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 152
Ryan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 23 2011 7:48 PM

alabama24:

Ryan:
We would have no Mac or PC if it weren't for Unix/Linux

Unix. Not Linux.

I am not trying to be insulting, but it is the truth. Logos is a newcomer to Mac. I have a feeling that they would not have joined the party except for the large number of new Mac users. Walk around a college town and see all the MacBooks. Even still, MSFT has 85% of the market; Mac 10% at best; which leaves 5% or less for all the rest. There is NOT 2% using Linux.

Except for the fact that server usage of Linux is dominating... The number of things you do on a daily basis on computers is powered by Linux. Google, Amazon, NYSE, NASDAQ... the list goes on.

And out of the top 500 fastest computers in the world, 93% of them are running Linux. (See http://www.top500.org/)

Almost all of our smart phones are running Linux.

Programming Logos for Linux would allow many people to have Logos that otherwise would not, whether it is a super fact Windows machine, or an overprice piece of junk with a fruit starting with "A" on the case, or a trusty Linux box that runs like a charm.

Posts 27989
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 23 2011 10:28 PM

Wikipedia's article of OS market share http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems doesn't appear to encourage development of an end-user Linux app

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 24 2011 12:45 AM

MJ. Smith:

Wikipedia's article of OS market share http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_operating_systems doesn't appear to encourage development of an end-user Linux app

Looking back at Bob Pritchett's reply on page 1 of this thread => http://community.logos.com/forums/p/121/991.aspx#991

Bob Pritchett:
The decision is simply a business one; at this point we don't have any evidence that there's a significant market for a Linux version, which doesn't make the investment worth it. We don't have massive margins, and developing on a new platform costs a pretty large percentage of what developing on the first one costs; I imagine we'd need to see consumer (not server or business -- we don't sell there) marketshare for Linux reach 8% before we could justify the cost.

Noticed the Codeweaver bounty for Logos has expired; months ago had seen pledges that were 1 % of amount needed to develop Logos for linux.

Ryan:
Except for the fact that server usage of Linux is dominating... The number of things you do on a daily basis on computers is powered by Linux. Google, Amazon, NYSE, NASDAQ... the list goes on.

Logos sells to consumers, not servers.

Currently, the only viable way to use Logos 4 on linux is using a Windows virtual machine.  Oracle's VirtualBox is still free (updated 4 Nov 2011), but does need a valid Microsoft license for virtual Windows use.  In June 2011, VMWare ended support for their free VMWare Server product; could use VCenter Converter to create a virtual machine from a physical computer, followed by using VMWare Player to run the virtual machine (with potential Windows license issue about virtual use).

Ryan:
Programming Logos for Linux would allow many people to have Logos that otherwise would not, whether it is a super fact Windows machine, or an overprice piece of junk with a fruit starting with "A" on the case, or a trusty Linux box that runs like a charm.

Observation: this year Intel funded $ 300 million to assist several manufacturers with Ultrabook start-up costs to produce some competitively priced models compared to Apple's July 2011 MacBook Air models.  Looking at used Mac's currently available for purchase, noted several G4 models over 8 years old that still have a viable resale value => http://www.powermax.com/preowned_macs (with option to run older version of Mac OS X or install an open source distribution).  Logos 4 Mac needs a newer Mac with an Intel processor.

Many Apple models are price competitive: iPad, iPhone, iPod, MacBook Air, 13" MacBook Pro, Mac Mini, and 27" iMac while some models still have premium pricing: e.g. 17" MacBook Pro.

Ryan:
Almost all of our smart phones are running Linux.

A blog offers "6 signs Android really isn't Linux" => http://jeffhoogland.blogspot.com/2011/07/six-signs-android-really-isnt-linux.html

Article: "Linus Torvalds on Android, the Linux fork" => http://www.zdnet.com/blog/open-source/linus-torvalds-on-android-the-linux-fork/9426 includes summary: "There’s still a lot of distance between Google’s Android and its parent operating system Linux, but eventually, the gap will close… eventually." and mentions Android drivers were dropped from the main linux kernel in 2009.

Wikipedia article about iOS does not mention linux => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IOS but does mention Darwin foundation => http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_%28operating_system%29 that technically is not linux (uses a different kernel).

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 11 of 45 (883 items) « First ... < Previous 9 10 11 12 13 Next > ... Last » | RSS