Linux version of Logos Bible Software

Page 38 of 40 (783 items) « First ... < Previous 36 37 38 39 40 Next >
This post has 782 Replies | 44 Followers

Posts 1015
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2019 8:27 AM

Yes thanks so much! I noted one of the other devs said it was looking good and could be included in dev? What do you think?

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 821
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2019 8:53 AM

I'm still having problems with my Logos installation in a container finishing indexing. It gets stuck at 5% even after several hours. I can tell indexing is not finished because I can't do searches and the performance is really slow. Does anyone have suggestions for how I can address this?

Posts 1015
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 20 2019 9:06 AM

Did you set your wine version to win xp? That seems to fix some indexing issues? I have found that indexing can finish but it only reports a small percentage done. The evidence it is done is that the process is idle and when quitting it doesn't continue like it would if it had work to do... but then all my searches work. Is there a limitation on the container? Is chrome os throttling it for some reason?

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 821
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 21 2019 8:22 AM

Rik Shaw:

Dirk, glad you got it working! You could run wasta-logos-setup again (do NOT create a new prefix) and it should repair your launcher. Alternatively, you can manually adjust it. Here is what my launcher has:

Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/rik/.wine-logos" /opt/wasta-wine/bin/wine C:\\\\windows\\\\command\\\\start.exe /Unix /home/rik/.wine-logos/dosdevices/c:/users/rik/Start\\ Menu/Programs/Logos\\ Bible\\ Software.lnk LC_ALL=C

For some reason my launcher had Exec=env WINEPREFIX="/home/wmadan/.wine-logos" /opt/wasta-wine/bin/wine C:\\\\\\\\windows\\\\\\\\command\\\\\\\\start.exe /Unix /home/wmadan/.wine-logos/dosdevices/c:/users/wmadan/Start\\\\ Menu/Programs/Logos\\\\ Bible\\\\ Software.lnk LC_ALL=C

I underlined the extra / characters.

I had to remove the extra / characters from the launcher. Then it worked.

Posts 821
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 21 2019 6:35 PM

The second way to install Logos on a Chromebook is to run "crouton" -- essentially, a desktop Linux within a chroot within ChromeOS. Why would you want to do this as opposed to installing Logos within Crostini on a Chromebook (as an earlier post of mine documented)?

• You have full access to all of your hardware. In my case, I have the full 16gb of RAM that is installed on my Pixelbook.
  • Logos appears to run much better in crouton than in Crostini.
  • You can use crouton to run all of your Linux programs rather than Crostini. Some apps may not run in Crostini, I am told.
  • I experienced some nagging issues running Logos in Crostini (launcher icon wouldn't work, indexing wouldn't finish, graphic tearing and artifact issues.)

The drawback of running a chrooted Linux environment on a Chromebook is that it requires you to run in developer mode, which disables ChromeOS's security protections. You can read about this particular issue on the crouton Github page. That, and when you reboot, you have to make sure you hold down the ctrl and D keys or else your whole setup could be wiped out.

That said, Logos runs really well in crouton. If you want to know how I installed Logos in crouton on my 2017 Pixelbook, here are the steps: How to Install Logos in Crouton on a Chromebook (Google Doc).

Posts 8
Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 26 2019 8:19 PM

If you are not familiar with the company, Pine64 has a slew of quality and cheap Linux products. The newest is the Pinebook Pro and soon to be are the PinePhone, PineTab, and PineTime.

Any thoughts on how Logos would run on the Pinebook Pro (arm64, RK3399 4GB RAM) or similar hardware?

Logos lists 2GB of RAM as recommended and only OS, storage, and screensize.

The PineTab would have less hardware (and the PinePhone would hopefully be able to run Android apps sometime, that or the Logos web app) but if you think it'd run on the PBP, the PBP would be a $200 Logos on Linux machine.

Posts 77
aaylnx | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 27 2019 9:18 AM

Taylor, the Pinebook Pro looks like an excellent little device, but I do not believe that Windows apps compiled for x86 will work on ARM chips via WINE.  Don't think that problem can be overcome.

Posts 821
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 27 2019 6:27 PM

Is it normal behavior for Logos on startup to open with a blank screen and no layouts? If I go to settings and tell Logos to open the last layout, it doesn't work.

Posts 77
aaylnx | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2019 2:23 PM

Unfortunately, that is normal for me under Linux.  It is not normal under Windows.  It is a minor annoyance.  I'm not sure what the issue is here, but hopefully it will work itself out eventually.  Is anyone NOT having that problem?

Adam

Posts 77
aaylnx | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2019 2:24 PM

Taylor,

The Pinebook Pro sounds great.  However, since WINE cannot run x86 programs on ARM, this will be a no go.  To bad though.  These look like nice machines.

Adam

Posts 43
Rik Shaw | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Nov 29 2019 10:21 PM

aaylnx:

Unfortunately, that is normal for me under Linux.  It is not normal under Windows.  It is a minor annoyance.  I'm not sure what the issue is here, but hopefully it will work itself out eventually.  Is anyone NOT having that problem?

John reported on the Google Doc the following:

"I have set to another layout without a problem... I would suggest they try to remake the layout. I've had similar happen on Mac, so it may not be a platform specific problem."

So if people can try remaking custom layouts and see if they "stick". Sorry I am not enough of a Logos user to know much about this, but if anyone has tips / tricks to make it "remember" please post back.

Posts 77
aaylnx | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 30 2019 9:27 AM

Once Logos is open I can choose from any of the layouts available, and it will open them no problem.  However, whether I set it to open the last used layout, or even designate a particular layout for it to open to, it will not open to that layout.  Still needs to be manually chosen after the program opens.  Creating a brand new layout makes no difference unfortunately.

Posts 9
Benjamin Galan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 30 2019 1:38 PM

Greetings to all. I'm very excited with Logos 8 in my linux laptop. I have one issue that started a few days ago. Every time I open the library, the system crashes. Everything seems to work well except for the library. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

This is the file that I saved after it crashes. If I need to load any other log files, please let me know. I'm running Ubuntu 19.10. Many thanks!

Benjamin

Posts 8
Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 30 2019 1:43 PM

The general belief is that the library database becomes corrupted sometime during the setup process and thus needs to be recreated. The simple solution is to rerun wasta-logos-setup after moving the library downloads out of the .wine-logos directory, then moving them back in after Logos is ready to be run from the application menu.

When I faced this issue, I was on Kubuntu 18.04; I attempted a reinstall but it failed. I upgraded to 19.10 and reinstalled and it worked flawlessly.

The directory you want is found at

~/.wine-logos/drive_c/users/$USER/Local\ Settings/Application\ Data/Logos/Data/

You can also move the Documents and User directories aside as well (also in the Logos directory) and move them back into place after the reinstall to save on additional downloads.

Posts 9
Benjamin Galan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Nov 30 2019 1:51 PM

OK. Thanks for that. I'll give it a go tonight and let you know if it worked. Thank you! 

Benjamin

Posts 648
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 1 2019 12:31 PM

Benjamin, you can also navigate to the directory that Taylor referenced. Rename the files located there to .bak and then try to run Logos. If it Logos reloads correctly it should rebuild the library files.

I had to manipulate a few of the directories like this during the download of my library. It is an old trick learned from Beta testing days

This could save you some work if the Library files are the problem

Posts 821
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 1 2019 5:03 PM

I thought that I'd give an update on the experience of using Logos on my Chromebook Pixelbook. I installed it within an Ubuntu Bionic container using the Chromebook's Linux feature and in crouton, which is an Ubuntu Bionic chroot environment running side by side ChromeOS. Previously posts in this thread have Google Docs explaining how to set up these installations.

Of the two, crouton is faster and I was able to get the launcher icons working. The installation also did not require me to add the i386 architecture before installing wasta-logos-setup like I had to for the container installation. 

I had fits and starts with the container method simply because indexing would not finish no matter how long I left the computer running. In order for me to get around this, I used method 2 of installing Logos on multiple computers that you can access from the wiki. This took care of the indexing. The container method runs a little slower, but still works really well. I could not get the launcher icons to work though, and had to create a script to run Logos from the command line.

With both installations Logos will open up to a blank slate and I must select a layout to use.

I prefer the container method since it does not require me to put the Pixelbook in developer mode and bypass ChromeOS's built in security. 

Posts 1015
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 3 2019 3:49 PM

Useful update: LC_ALL=C can now be dropped from the launch command.

What it did was to address an issue where Logos got stuck in a loop endlessly generating a terminal message like '0009:fixme:path:parse_url failed to parse...'

This was an issue affecting many .NET applications not just Logos but appears to have been fixed in wine 4.18 (though it slipped under my radar). It would be helpful if others could try dropping it and let me know if you see any problems emerge.

A key benefit of dropping it is that you will no longer load to a blank layout but can select the layout of your choice! Enjoy.

Special thanks to Nick Andrewes who noticed the change;)

Posts 648
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 3 2019 6:10 PM

John, I dropped it from my launcher and so far so good! Opens to the correct layout instead of a blank layout. Haven't noticed anything out of place.

Having the layout load fixes one of the two things I was missing from Windows. Now if we could only get the Print function to recognize the printer and print.

Thankful for all of you who have puzzled this all together - I'm over a month without Windows, as Logos was the only program keeping it on my system - love it!

Posts 821
Bill Anderson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 3 2019 8:10 PM

I dropped it from my shell script and it loads my layout! That's progress! I would love for the launcher to work, though.

Another question: What is involved in trying to get Logos installed within a Debian Stretch or Buster container as compared with the Ubuntu Bionic container I am running now? On Chromebooks, a Debian Stretch container is the default, but you can modify the sources.list file to switch it to Buster. I'm wondering if I would see improvement running this from Debian.

Page 38 of 40 (783 items) « First ... < Previous 36 37 38 39 40 Next > | RSS