Linux version of Logos Bible Software

Page 4 of 40 (782 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last »
This post has 781 Replies | 45 Followers

Posts 1
William Laky | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2009 3:42 PM

Logos should go in the direction of cloud computing like the rest of the world. I am sure that they have already considered it. Sites like the ESV study Bible, etc, are where it will be at in the next few years.

- Bill

Posts 84
Nigel Cunningham | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2009 4:28 PM

Cloud computing is fine if you have a fast and reliable internet connection with a big download limit, but not everyone has that.

Regards,

Nigel

Posts 54
Andrew | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2009 4:32 PM

How does cloud computing apply to Logos?

Posts 25096
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2009 7:08 PM

WilliamLaky:
Logos should go in the direction of cloud computing like the rest of the world.

Which world do you belong to?

Remember that user files in the cloud have limitations; size is one, privacy another and the fact you cannot use it offline.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 25096
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2009 7:12 PM

AndrewPitonyak:
How does cloud computing apply to Logos?

Thankfully, Logos see it as an adjunct to what we keep on our PC - look for posts from Bob Pritchett (Logos CEO) e.g. Conceivably, we could deliver some richer experience through Moonlight, since we'll be using .NET technology moving forward (in relation to Logos on Linux).

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 150
Jim Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2009 7:25 PM
My feelings on this are quite strong, and very simple. I will *never* choose to pay for software that is outside of MY control. Once I buy it, I own the rights to it (for my use, that is). A cloud environment allows someone to take away my use of it if they choose - and my only recourse would be legal action. I will *never* willingly put myself into that situation, if any other option (such as harcover) exists. Period.

=============
Redeeming the time (Eph.5:16+Col.4:5) ...
Jim Dean

Posts 25096
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2009 8:01 PM

JimDean:
My feelings on this are quite strong, and very simple.

I agree, including the PeriodSmile  I like to keep my feet on firm ground.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 3 2009 8:06 PM

JimDean:
My feelings on this are quite strong, and very simple. I will *never* choose to pay for software that is outside of MY control. Once I buy it, I own the rights to it (for my use, that is). A cloud environment allows someone to take away my use of it if they choose - and my only recourse would be legal action. I will *never* willingly put myself into that situation, if any other option (such as harcover) exists. Period.

They can take my Logos off my computer when they pry my cold dead hands off the keyboard.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2009 5:34 AM

Bob Pritchett:
(Conceivably, we could deliver some richer experience through Moonlight, since we'll be using .NET technology moving forward. We'll have to see.)

Actually I was waiting for a comment like that one Bob.  With the shift away from Com/IE backbone I would anticipate that Mono/moonlight and wine/crossover may have a much better chance of running Libronix natively on Linux. 

I wonder about the potential of hiring one Linux UberGeek once 4.0 is out the door.  Tell him His job is to work with crossover/wine and make it work.  Give him a set period of time to do everything he can do. 

Of course it's possible that Mono has already done the work necessary to bring Libronix to Linux.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 67
Brian Whalen | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2009 10:48 AM

There is also the security privacy concern with cloud computing, at least for now.

Brian Whalen

http://www.mcnazarene.com

Posts 10595
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2009 4:01 PM

George Somsel:

JimDean:

They can take my Logos off my computer when they pry my cold dead hands off the keyboard.

Add my vote to the "No Cloud, Never, Ever" list

Jack

Posts 1929
Donovan R. Palmer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 5 2009 12:53 AM

JackCaviness:
Add my vote to the "No Cloud, Never, Ever" list

Maybe in another 10 years North America, Europe and parts of Asia will have 100% internet coverage through some form, but at the present moment there are too many places that I go that don't have access. Presumably, a percentage of Logo's customers live permanently in these areas that don't have internet access, and that's before we start to take into consideration missionaries, Bible translators, etc. who span the globe working in non-connected areas.  To have to be tethered to the internet to use my Bible programme would not be a good thing.  I could see the lines getting blurred in the future, but in the foreseeable future there has to be an offline mode.  Even with Google apps, I can access my calendar, contacts and email without having to connect.

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 5 2009 9:16 AM
The internet can be a distraction for me, so often I take my laptop to a place without any internet to do my sermon preparation, Doctoral studies, etc. I also spend time at my parents house, and they have no internet connection. Being permanently tied to the internet, is not a positive for me personally.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 118
Nicholas van Oudtshoorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 17 2009 1:48 AM

Hi all!

I too am hanging out for a Linux version. I realise that the market share is probably not high enough to make a full port commercially viable right now. But I suspect that getting it to run under wine would not involve that many man hours. (Then again, who knows! From experience, these things tend to escalate!)

A year or so ago, I managed to at least get the basic interface up and running (ie. the main window showed; minus all toolbars etc.) Every now and again I jump in and spend one of my days off trying to diagnose exactly where wine is falling short.

I guess I'll just keep trying with each new version of wine!

Niholas

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 4 2009 7:56 AM

Ok....dumb question:

What is the advantage of running Libronix using VMware/Windows?

Why not dual-boot?

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 4 2009 9:08 AM
Robert Pavich:

Ok....dumb question:

What is the advantage of running Libronix using VMware/Windows?

Why not dual-boot?

Dual booting separates your operating systems of course and creates a very real possibility of having documents in one OS (Linux) and Libronix in the other OS (Windows). Now if you're writing a document and need to research something you have to reboot your system into another OS to research and then hope you can remember it well enough to get back to your word processor when you reboot again.

It is possible to install two instances of your word processor (Say OpenOffice.org) in both Windows and Linux and then make your documents accessible from both OS' but then you lose the benefit of one OS or the other depending on which one you are using.

Virtual computing (VMWARE - etc) enable you to share the benefits of multiple OS simultaneously.

For example, boot into Linux as your base operating system, load a virtual system (e.g. windows + Libronix) and get all the security benefits of Linux and the programs you prefer while still having access to Libronix in it's native (windows) environment. Properly set up you can then share your clipboard contents from one OS to the Other and voila, all the benefits of both OS' are yours.

This all may become moot if Moonlight and Mono can run Libronix 4 in Linux, but we'll have to wait at least until some kind of beta stage to begin testing that. Or perhaps wait until full gold release.

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 54
Andrew | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 4 2009 7:13 PM

The only advantage would be that you do not need to dual boot. Windows has sometimes responded poorly to a dual boot and over-written the dual boot loaders...

Of course, the disadvantage to VMWare, is that running directly is more performant.

Posts 694
Jerry Bush | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 6 2009 2:19 PM

2 things:

1) I say NO to cloud computing. My internet went out yesterday for several hours. If Logos had been in the cloud, I could not have done my study. That would not have been a good day.

2) I will probably be revealing huge ignorance with this idea, but here goes: Rather than write a new Logos for Linix, is it possible to write some sort of porting software to make the windows version work? Kind of like a custom version of Wine? It would only be for Linux and would do nothing to help other windows programs. I would pay for it. Seems like an easier and cheaper way to get it done - if it can be done at all.

I want to switch over to Linux via Ubuntu, but Logos is the only thing keeping me from making the jump. I will give you money for this Logos! Geeked

Win7 - - Intel Core i3, 530 @ 2 .93GHz - - 6GB RAM ATI Radeon HD Samsung 500GB SSD

Burning Bush Ministries

Posts 118
Nicholas van Oudtshoorn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 6 2009 6:29 PM

Hiya Jerry,

1 - couldn't agree with you more.

2 - writing a custom version of wine just doesn't make sense, I'm afraid. In the windows world, things are pretty interconnected. Porting software just for Libronix would end up looking like just a subset of wine! I think the best bet is getting Wine (or the Codeweavers version of it, at least!) to run Libronix properly. Believe it or not, it's not that far away. Might I suggest heading over to Codeweavers and casting your vote? If lots of people do that, the developers of wine might find some justification for working on getting it running!

Nicholas

Posts 38
jcc | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 10 2009 3:46 PM

How about writing logos for linux so I can run it under maemo with the Nokia N900 phone. :)

Actually, a lot of the linux development can be cross compiled onto Macs and PCs, but not the other way around.  It's probably too late for this, but I wished that when they developed logos for Mac, they done it with a more linux centric view and also allow it to compiled to the MAC (and PC) platform in addition to linux.

Right now, that's they only thing that's keeping me from switching to linux.  (I did run linux for awhile, but running logos under vmware is too slow, and dual boot is too cumbersome).

Page 4 of 40 (782 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS