Linux version of Logos Bible Software

Page 46 of 47 (930 items) « First ... < Previous 43 44 45 46 47 Next >
This post has 929 Replies | 47 Followers

Posts 52
Rik Shaw | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 26 2020 11:28 AM

Daniel Ribeiro da Silva:

Rik Shaw:

Do other users have any comments on if Logos is updating for them or not?

Yes, it is.

But i'm not using wasta-wine, so maybe it isn't relevant.

Daniel, what version are you now on, compared to what version was originally installed? Just trying to figure if it is because it won't migrate "major" versions or?? And is there a setting you know of about enabling / disabling updates (distinct from the general "use internet" option)?

Posts 32
Daniel Ribeiro da Silva | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 26 2020 11:39 AM

Rik Shaw:

Daniel, what version are you now on, compared to what version was originally installed? Just trying to figure if it is because it won't migrate "major" versions or?? And is there a setting you know of about enabling / disabling updates (distinct from the general "use internet" option)?

I'm using the installer (https://github.com/ferion11/LogosLinuxInstaller).

My main installation on my personal PC, started on "8.10.0.0032", and updated many times till "8.12.0.0017" (which is the last version in this day).

Posts 7
Jim Rutledge | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 2 2020 7:05 PM

Daniel Ribeiro da Silva:

I'm using the installer (https://github.com/ferion11/LogosLinuxInstaller).

My main installation on my personal PC, started on "8.10.0.0032", and updated many times till "8.12.0.0017" (which is the last version in this day).

What program is the file supposed to open with once you make it executable? All it does for me is "Open With Text Editor," so I'm getting nowhere. I'm not familiar with running scripts. Sorry for my Linux ignorance here, but I am one who greatly prefers graphical user interfaces when they are available, because I have never been all that technically inclined unless I absolutely have to be. And even then, I make use of step-by-step instructions if they're available.

Never mind. Finally got it working with the terminal.

Posts 71
David J. Ring, Jr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 3 2020 2:31 AM

Wonderful news!

Posts 84
aaylnx | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 16 2020 10:20 AM

Daniel,

I tried out your installer recently.  It works very nicely.  Thank you so very much for your work.

I am curious about your updater script - "WineAppimage.sh" does it only update WINE?  I have not run it yet.

I think there would be great merit in joining what Rik and you are doing.  While I really appreciate everything Rik has done (really we wouldn't be here at all w/o all of his incredible work!) I value your approach of working with an AppImage.  Only the AppImage approach will work on non Debian/Ubuntu distros.  Moreover, the AppImage approach avoids users having to do some extra steps like add PPAs.  

While I myself am an Ubuntu user, I appreciate a non-distro specific approach to Logos for Linux.  I think it would even be better if the installer could be made into a Flatpak, but that might have some unique challenges of its own.

Adam

Posts 32
Daniel Ribeiro da Silva | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 17 2020 5:56 PM

aaylnx:

Daniel,

I tried out your installer recently. It works very nicely. Thank you so very much for your work.

I am curious about your updater script - "WineAppimage.sh" does it only update WINE? I have not run it yet.

I think there would be great merit in joining what Rik and you are doing. While I really appreciate everything Rik has done (really we wouldn't be here at all w/o all of his incredible work!) I value your approach of working with an AppImage. Only the AppImage approach will work on non Debian/Ubuntu distros. Moreover, the AppImage approach avoids users having to do some extra steps like add PPAs.

While I myself am an Ubuntu user, I appreciate a non-distro specific approach to Logos for Linux. I think it would even be better if the installer could be made into a Flatpak, but that might have some unique challenges of its own.

Adam

Well, the Logos Bible can update itself, then the "update_wineappimage.sh" is for update the AppImage of Wine only.

Rik is trying to get the Logos working with your installation of linux. But i'm using the AppImage to avoid using your installation of linux (your packages), so you can have your own updated wine from your linux distribution and run other apps with it (include the Logos Bible from Rik) at the same time, but the Logos installed with the script will run with that AppImage.

ok! That said, this AppImage ins't only "wine", it have all libs that the wine need to run (include it's own very basic glibc). So you can call it one mini-linux (that's the reason that it have "archlinux" in its name, not because it need the archlinux, but because it have one mini-archlinux compressed inside it). Then why i need to go that far? Well, my system (Gentoo Linux no-multilib profile) don't have any libs to run wine or any 32bits apps, then i need it. But the main advantage is that i can control the version of the libs inside it, and only update something that work better with this AppImage without affecting your system.

Posts 106
J. Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 23 2020 4:28 AM

What's with the PowerPointViewer.exe that's being downloaded?

Posts 32
Daniel Ribeiro da Silva | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 24 2020 1:36 PM

J. Erik:

This is the way that "winetricks" script get some basic Microsoft fonts using one legal way, so don't worry.

Posts 106
J. Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Apr 24 2020 9:34 PM

Daniel Ribeiro da Silva:

J. Erik:

This is the way that "winetricks" script get some basic Microsoft fonts using one legal way, so don't worry.

I see 🤗 Thanks!

Posts 2
Thiago Serra | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 29 2020 12:17 PM

Hi everyone!

I miss a step to step for a clean instalation of Logos on Linux.

I alway using Logos on a VM, but it is very slow... so I decide find a alternative.

I wrote to faithlife to help write a Linux Version off Logos... but I get no answer until now... so I discover this topic!

there is a guide or how to?

Thiago Serra F. Carvalho

Estudante de Teologia

https://thiagoserra.github.io/

Posts 32
Daniel Ribeiro da Silva | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 29 2020 3:16 PM

Thiago Serra:

Hi everyone!

I miss a step to step for a clean instalation of Logos on Linux.

I alway using Logos on a VM, but it is very slow... so I decide find a alternative.

I wrote to faithlife to help write a Linux Version off Logos... but I get no answer until now... so I discover this topic!

there is a guide or how to?

Hi! There is this guide here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Gms_Bc2Q_OOH3G5lmP6twXnqiSWxrFFT7lCN3nRyymw/edit

And this one here: https://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=38306#notes

And if you wanna one more ref., this here: https://github.com/ferion11/Wine_Appimage/wiki/Logos-Bible

Posts 671
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2020 5:00 PM

I found an issue that I haven't yet experienced. I had been running 64bit across the board, but for a couple months have been dealing with some graphical glitches. The glitches would have a black box covering the pop-up boxes that show the library loading and on exit. At times, it would also randomly cover my layout with a black box that once tapped on any resources cleared the black box.

I decided to do a fresh install, purged Wine, rebooted and used Daniel's script to do the fresh install. Even allowed a fresh download of all the resources, rather than importing from my back-up of the data folder.

Everything runs fine - only issue is that the shortcut under the Wine Applications Folder will not open Logos. It show the icon for a split second on the taskbar then nothing. The desktop script shortcut from the installer works perfect.

I personally prefer nothing on my desktop and my shortcuts on the taskbar. The script shortcut appears to not be able to be added to the taskbar.

Has anyone else found the Wine Logos shortcut to not work? Or is there a way to get the script shortcut added to the taskbar, so I can delete it from my desktop?

Update:

Playing around a little more and I was able to drop the created shell script into the notifications area of the taskbar. Once there, I was able to drag it onto the taskbar, but if I removed the script from the Desktop, the shortcut of course did not work. I moved the script and realigned the shortcut. So, I have cleared my Desktop of icons, but would like to be able to get the Logos links in the Applications Menu to work.

Is this possible or is this a limitation of running off of AppImage?

Posts 2
Thiago Serra | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 30 2020 7:20 PM

Thanks!

I just installed in a clean instalation of Ubuntu 20.04.

For me  worked run the install script.

For now, in the last three and half hours, indexing my lib (16.9GB).

The process is eating all my machine... I am waiting to see the result.

I tryed use Logos and works!!! Better then the in a VM... much faster!

i'm available to help ... i wrote one step by step in brazilian portuguese ... but i don't know if it will be useful since for me run the instalation script was suficient!

Congratulations on the excellent work on it!
If you need help with something (I have a bsc in computer science and I am a Python3 programmer.. If you want ported from bash to python)

God bless us!

Thiago Serra F. Carvalho

Estudante de Teologia

https://thiagoserra.github.io/

Posts 32
Daniel Ribeiro da Silva | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2020 4:18 AM

Frank Sauer:

Is this possible or is this a limitation of running off of AppImage?

It ins't one AppImage limitation, it's my limitation to test it (I don't have linux with DE, and only have one fluxbox to WM). I need someone to test it, and send the final working file to me, so I can create the file on the right place (maybe $HOME/.local/share/applications/ , i don't know what the DEs are using now) and with the right configuration to DE integration.

Well, you can try this: place the start script on some bin directory, and edit the ".desktop" file (it's just one text file) to call the script instead of the native wine+args (the "Exec=" line).

By the way, i'm fighting with the black boxes too, it's holding me back on some improvements (i should have reported the bug, but it's hard for me to compile and test without having multilib here).

#========================

Thiago Serra:

If you need help with something (I have a bsc in computer science and I am a Python3 programmer.. If you want ported from bash to python)

God bless us!

Thanks, but i will pass that. Lots of headache updating python scripts from time to time. Now i prefer anything that have some backward compatibility.

By the way: Muito obrigado pelo material em português do Brasil. As pessoas aqui no Brasil precisam muito de ajuda (pelo menos é essa a minha impressão aqui em Goiânia/Goiás).

God bless us!

Posts 2
José Luis D'Amico | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2020 6:07 PM

hola, por favor, qué buena noticia. No puedo hacerlo funcionar. Soy fan de Linux. Estoy usando ahora xubuntu 20.04 y Logo es un soft sensacional. No me gusta usarlo en su app web, quiero usarlo en el escritorio. Alguien por favor que me ayude?? alguien con quien pueda contactarme por mail o de una manera que me ayude por favor?? GRACIAS

Posts 2
José Luis D'Amico | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2020 6:24 PM

hola amigo, si estas dispuesto a ayudar te agradecería mucho. Estoy usando Xubuntu 20.04, tengo nociones de usuario de linux desde hace unos 15 años, pero no soy experto ni mucho menos. No se como usar el script porque cuando intento hacerlo xubuntu me sugiere que use mousepad o libreoffice, ya que aunque le indique que ejecute el archivo como programa no lo entiende asi y lo ve como un archivo de texto.

En fin, todo lo que peudas ayudarme será agradecido

Soy de Buenos Aires, Argentina

Bendiciones.

Posts 11
Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 1 2020 6:37 PM

Hola José!

Puedo ayudarte. ¿Cuál es tu método preferido de contacto?

Esta guía debe ayudarte.

https://www.neoguias.com/ejecutar-scripts-sh/

Si necesitas más, avísame.

Es posible que debas establecer la aplicación preferida también para la extensión de archivo.

Posts 18
Scott Warner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 9 2020 12:08 PM

I tried to install today and got the error that .NET version 4.7.2 isn't installed.  I followed the instructions, though.

Posts 18
Scott Warner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 9 2020 12:11 PM

While installing, I got the message that .NET version 4.7.2 isn't installed.  Then it all stopped.  I am running Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit.  I used the instructions found on https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Gms_Bc2Q_OOH3G5lmP6twXnqiSWxrFFT7lCN3nRyymw/edit

Posts 32
Daniel Ribeiro da Silva | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 9 2020 3:02 PM

Scott Warner:

While installing, I got the message that .NET version 4.7.2 isn't installed.  Then it all stopped.  I am running Linux Mint 19.3 64-bit.  I used the instructions found on https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Gms_Bc2Q_OOH3G5lmP6twXnqiSWxrFFT7lCN3nRyymw/edit

You should use the winetricks script to install .NET version 4.8 on your wine bottle first. Something like:

$ wget -c https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/src/winetricks

$ chmod +x winetricks

$ env WINEPREFIX=~/.wine-logos sh ./winetricks dotnet48

Page 46 of 47 (930 items) « First ... < Previous 43 44 45 46 47 Next > | RSS