Personnel changes at Faithlife

Page 8 of 12 (238 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last »
This post has 237 Replies | 19 Followers

Posts 613
Steve Maling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2016 8:45 AM

Doc B and Mark Barnes, many thanks for the perspectives you bring.

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2016 10:20 AM

Charles McNeil:

However, is there any truth to the content of this website? https://www.glassdoor.com/Reviews/Employee-Review-Faithlife-RVW9169552.htm

I tried to respond to the individual directly, but unable to do so.  If this site is so, or partially true, we have been misled. I am not worried, but I am concern about those laid off (frequency and treatment of workers). I am the let Bob, be Bob person. However, this in no way I endorse  him or anyone to exercise unchristian behaviors or create a hostile work environment.

Who is James G. Fowler? He claims to present "another perspective of the recent lay-offs"   I don't want to be the source of fear mongering, but have we been sold a "bill of goods" on the laidoffs?  

There are 2 sides to every story... I feel it is important to hear the people at the glass door but we are only herring their experience and it very well might be only a partial truth (their truth fully as it is known but does't take FL side into account. Is FL a perfect place to work.. probably not, is Bob doing his best to make it better, I would hope so. I have heard rumours outside of the forums from former employees but do not repeat them here. I hope we have not been sold a "bill of goods", time will tell... I wish noting but the best for all the employees who have been let go from FL in the past few months.

-Dan

Posts 10427
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2016 11:27 AM

Independent of glass-door representativeness, my concerns:

- A significant firing, to include families and children in mid-school year, should give pause to hiring good people in the future.  That is worrysome for the amount of sophistication Logos tries to deliver.

- Mark (other Mark) is pushing Strack & Billerbeck. I appreciate his efforts. But I went ahead and bought the german version and will struggle. I've no confidence in future Logos projects that operate at the margins (if unloading so many employees is necessitated). And I'm still awaiting products paid for from 5 years ago (sold, not pre-pub'd).

- I agree with the issue of 'marketing'. Early on, I suspected that issue is at the top level at Logos, and not solvable. I remain impressed that Olivetree, ChristianDiscount and LitPress can exude a Christian-ish way of communicating, but Logos can't. I don't know why.

Posts 10631
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2016 12:01 PM

Doc B:
I have tried to avoid even posting a emoji on this thread, but I'll jump in here.

Glad you did, and I appreciated your insight. Thank you.

Posts 80
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2016 12:03 PM

Denise:

Independent of glass-door representativeness, my concerns:

- A significant firing, to include families and children in mid-school year, should give pause to hiring good people in the future.  That is worrysome for the amount of sophistication Logos tries to deliver.

- Mark (other Mark) is pushing Strack & Billerbeck. I appreciate his efforts. But I went ahead and bought the german version and will struggle. I've no confidence in future Logos projects that operate at the margins (if unloading so many employees is necessitated). And I'm still awaiting products paid for from 5 years ago (sold, not pre-pub'd).

- I agree with the issue of 'marketing'. Early on, I suspected that issue is at the top level at Logos, and not solvable. I remain impressed that Olivetree, ChristianDiscount and LitPress can exude a Christian-ish way of communicating, but Logos can't. I don't know why.

Contrast Logos with YouVersion for example. At YouVersion home page, it reads: "God is near, and so is His Word. As you wake up. While you wait. When you meet a friend. Before you go to sleep. When the Bible is always with you, it becomes a part of your daily life." At Logos, the message can be paraphrased as: buy more, get a bigger library, and you will do better Bible Study.  

YouVersion is missional, while Logos is a commercial enterprise.  YouVersion app will ask me: How is my walk with God? Logos homepage only asks me: "Have I bought any more resources lately?"

Posts 27940
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2016 12:41 PM

Paul Lee:

Contrast Logos with YouVersion for example.

I like both Logos and YouVersion, but don't confuse a business with a church (YouVersion).

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2016 1:22 PM

alabama24:

Paul Lee:

I like both Logos and YouVersion, but don't confuse a business with a church (YouVersion).

Advertising within Bible software is a two edged sword... I enjoy hearing about new products and sales, but it can feel out of place. But I recognize that FL needs to make money and that thankfully I can turn off these adds by customizing my homepage.

-Dan

Posts 583
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2016 1:26 PM

alabama24:

Paul Lee:

How is YouVersion a church?

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Posts 27940
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 15 2016 1:31 PM

Randall Cue:
How is YouVersion a church?

It's a ministry of LifeChurch.tv (Craig Groeschel)

And Logos is a corporate sponsor! 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 501
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2016 12:14 AM

Just scanning through all these posts, am I getting it correct that just sales people are laid off or does this include people who are working on the technical side of things.

I for one am a bit nervous, having seen Biblesoft go through a similar (or not so similar path) suddenly & with a lot of hints that it would go down the tubes. 

I've mentioned this before so suffer the repetition, but things that should have been addressed a year or go or more are still in limbo. Thus my question regarding the techies - have they been reduced in number also? Unfortunately, I saw this trend with Biblesoft, e.g. things which were being promised / suddenly people leaving or laid off and now we know, the rest of the story!!!  

Again, pardon my ignorance, but if things were ever to go pads up at Logos, or is it now just Faithlife, does this mean what I presently have purchased / the program itself, is not going to work at all or as well?

I'm not nervous at all ... just thinking of doing a few laps around Tim Hortons!?! 

ASUS Rogue / 500 GB Samsung SSD / 500 GB HD / 16 Gigs of RAM/ Logos 8 Full Feature Set / Faithlife Connect Essentials 

Posts 27432
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2016 12:58 AM

Bootjack:
Just scanning through all these posts, am I getting it correct that just sales people are laid off

Sales people are the individuals most visible to user and therefore comprise the primary data for this thread. We know that at least some other areas took hits. My advice ... ignore most of the thread because most of it is speculation not knowledge. And since we don't have the facts to see what is going on, we can scarcely say we've seen it before although we may have seen something that bore distinct similarities from the perspective of a user without knowledge of the innards of the company.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 149
David A. Peterson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2016 1:33 AM

Faithlife don't use OpenSSL - they're on a Windows stack. 

Oh the irony

#App-lessWindowsPhoneUser

Posts 105
William M. Harper | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2016 7:10 AM

Bootjack:

Again, pardon my ignorance, but if things were ever to go pads up at Logos, or is it now just Faithlife, does this mean what I presently have purchased / the program itself, is not going to work at all or as well?

Great question! That is my main concern as well. I know that you can still run the program offline but what IF Faithlife were to fail, would I be able to ever install it again on a new computer or even my current one? Those are questions I would like answered to my satisfaction before I invest a lot more money into this software.

Posts 22200
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2016 7:17 AM

William M. Harper:
would I be able to ever install it again on a new computer or even my current one?

Method 1 at https://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers shows a way to install the software on an offline computer - which is similar (equivalent?) to the scenario you are considering.

Posts 13379
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2016 8:34 AM

William M. Harper:
would I be able to ever install it again on a new computer or even my current one?

If Faithlife closed down, then we'd eventually lose access to our books unless:

1. We backed up the entire installation, including the licence file.
  2. Or, another company bought out the assets and maintained the licence servers, etc.
  3. Or, users worked out how to hack the licence file.

I am 99% certain that Faithlife won't close down, 99.99% certain that if the do another company would maintain the service, and 99.99999% certain that if that didn't happen then users would work something out.

There's been plenty of discussion about this over the years, particularly here: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/121491/795581.aspx#795581 

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2016 9:59 AM

Mark Barnes:
I am 99% certain that Faithlife won't close down, 99.99% certain that if the do another company would maintain the service, and 99.99999% certain that if that didn't happen then users would work something out.

I am not sure we wouldn't have interruptions and who knows what direction things might take after that but even Bob said worse case scenario someone will get a bargain at bankruptcy. Logos has decent software numerous contracts for distribution and an extremely significant customer base. I am not sure who would buy it but I know it might be a pretty prize for Hapercollins, i know they own OT now but combining their top notch mobile apps with Logos desktop apps might be a marriage made in heaven. But that said Bob has stated on several occasions the company is in no financial trouble. I hope this is the truth, if not there is not much us users can do about it. 

-Dan

Posts 782
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2016 10:13 AM

Somewhere, someone has  said ...

“For this reason I say to you, do not be worried about your life, as to what you will eat or what you will drink; nor for your body, as to what you will put on. Is not life more than food, and the body more than clothing?  Look at the birds of the air, that they do not sow, nor reap nor gather into barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not worth much more than they?  And who of you by being worried can add a single hour to his life?  And why are you worried about clothing? Observe how the lilies of the field grow; they do not toil nor do they spin, yet I say to you that not even Solomon in all his glory clothed himself like one of these.  “But if God so clothes the grass of the field, which is alive today and tomorrow is thrown into the furnace, will He not much more clothe you? You of little faith!  Do not worry then, saying, ‘What will we eat?’ or ‘What will we drink?’ or ‘What will we wear for clothing?’  “For the Gentiles eagerly seek all these things; for your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things.  But seek first His kingdom and His righteousness, and all these things will be added to you.  So do not worry about tomorrow; for tomorrow will care for itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 501
Bootjack | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2016 11:12 AM

Has Faithlife bought out Logos or is this another name for the same company. Also JRS, thanks for the heads up, but this same thing in principal was said about Biblesoft. At least with them, one could (and has) the program still on disk.

It appears to me, we can't even have (since we've paid for this already) the program on disk to install again should things go into meltdown. Maybe no need to worry but for those of us who have poured thousands of dollars into this, we should at least have the option of having this program on disk. I realize everyone's program might be a bit different but hey, give us the option at least of buying it on disk without having to mortgage the house!??! 

ASUS Rogue / 500 GB Samsung SSD / 500 GB HD / 16 Gigs of RAM/ Logos 8 Full Feature Set / Faithlife Connect Essentials 

Posts 5253
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2016 11:35 AM

Bootjack:
Has Faithlife bought out Logos or is this another name for the same company. Also JRS, thanks for the heads up, but this same thing in principal was said about Biblesoft. At least with them, one could (and has) the program still on disk.

Logos changed it;s name to faithlife because it offers a secondary Bible Program and church presentation software, as well as Noet philosophy humanities software.

-Dan

Posts 3197
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 16 2016 1:05 PM

Mark Barnes:

William M. Harper:

If Faithlife closed down, then we'd eventually lose access to our books unless:

1. We backed up the entire installation, including the licence file.
  2. Or, another company bought out the assets and maintained the licence servers, etc.
  3. Or, users worked out how to hack the licence file.

There's been plenty of discussion about this over the years, particularly here: https://community.logos.com/forums/p/121491/795581.aspx#795581 

Mark

What is the process for backing up all the files- I have a stand alone HD 1 terabyte- plenty to store L6 (or 7, 8, 9 or even 10 if I live long enough) and all its files on.

Page 8 of 12 (238 items) « First ... < Previous 6 7 8 9 10 Next > ... Last » | RSS