Data bug? Second century = modern ....... from WHAT perspective?

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 30946
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 11 2016 11:53 PM

1. Create a Passage Guide with nothing but a Systematic Theologies section

2. Run the Guide on Gen-Rev

3. Expand the theologians section

4. Expand Modern Catholic

Note the resource is a collection of excerpts from 1st-5th century (not exactly modern)

Berington, Joseph, and John Kirk. The Faith of Catholics: Confirmed by Scripture and Attested by the Fathers of the First Five Centuries of the Church. Edited by James Waterworth and Thomas J. Capel. Second Edition. Vol. I–III. New York; Cincinnati: Fr. Pustet & Co., 1885.

Seems a bit misplaced to me ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1363
LogosEmployee
Rick Brannan (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2016 8:51 AM

Hi MJ

The application of "denominational perspective" is explained in the documentation for the dataset:

Public, known information of each author of a systematic theology resource has been reviewed and an appropriate denominational or traditional label has been applied to the resource as a whole.
Rick Brannan and Peter Venable, Systematic Theology Cross-References: Dataset Documentation (Bellingham, WA: Faithlife, 2015).

This is the perspective we can best associate with the author/editor at time of book publication, not necessarily the perspective of the excerpt/context in which the reference occurs.

Might not always in every situation be the best, but it was the most consistent measure we could apply at the level we needed to apply.

Rick Brannan
Data Wrangler, Faithlife
My books in print

Posts 30946
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 12 2016 12:23 PM

Rick, you kinda missed the point. The context explicitly says 2nd century; the entire resource is 1st-5th century. It was because I was reading the detail of your procedure that the fact this was labeled "Modern Catholic" rather than "Patristic" was worthy of being brought to your attention. I don't expect perfection but this was one that could be indicative of an error in metadata or a questionable handling of anthologies.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS