BHS SESB - Ruth 1:8

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 478
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Feb 21 2010 8:02 PM

Can anyone tell me what's up with the BHS SESB text pictured below in Ruth 1:8?

In the print BHS I see that יעש is in the right margin, but not יעשה . I don't know what יעש in the right margin of the print BHS is telling me either, but perhaps that is a question for another forum.

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2010 2:31 AM

Brian

I have tried to reproduce your screen display, but I can't. My text displays normally with the a link. When I hover over the link with my Information panel open. An explanation appears 

If you are wondering about the display then the two forms below the main verbs are Kethiv-Qere. ie. It is written(kethiv) in text in the upper form, but it is read (qere) as though it was written in the lower form. That is the significance of the qoph below the stem in the margin of the print edition.

Unfortunately the preface to BHS SESB does not seem to have an explanation but BHS with Westminster Morphology does:

Both the kətı̂b (K) and qərēʾ (Q) readings as given in the Westminster database are reconstructions. In L (and BHS), the Q form generally appears in the margins without pointing, and the K form generally appears in the text with the vowels of the corresponding Q reading — it is in a sense not a real word, but a “hybrid” form consisting of the marriage of the vowels of Q with the consonants of K. (Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia : With Westminster Hebrew Morphology. (electronic ed.; Stuttgart; Glenside PA: German Bible Society; Westminster Seminary, 1996).

Hope that helps.

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2010 4:05 AM

I don't have this resource but try clicking on the display button at the top of the pane. It will probably have check marks against Kethiv-Qere if you uncheck them these should disappear. (If this doesn't work, I don't know how to get rid of them)

Posts 1874
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2010 6:22 AM

Now I know why I couldn't reproduce the display! I don't have a display button in Logos 4 Mac. Sad

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 4GHz; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.12.2; 1TB FD; Logos 7

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.12.2; 256GB SSD; Logos 7

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 10.2

iPhone 5s 32GB iOS 10.2

Posts 478
Brian W. Davidson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 22 2010 9:11 AM

Thanks to you both!

The issue was related to "Display". I unchecked Ketib-Qere and it went away.

The forums have been really helpful for me lately

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS