Faithlife Free Book (BOTM) - January has disappeared.

Page 3 of 3 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 48 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 274
Average Joe | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2016 12:55 PM

Dan Francis:

EastTN:
I feel a bit churlish saying anything negative about a freebie, but that is a much more attractive cover.

I would agree but this is a relatively cost free thing (just the time to change it). If nothing ever happens I will be fine but I feel it is better for all involved, FL store for those who purchase, not just us who received it free. Like I said it is only my desire was improve things over all from an Aesthetic view point, but wholly unneeded.

-Dan

I thought I read once on the forum that the book cover art is one of the more difficult things to change in a resource. It doesn't seem like it would be, but there was some technical explanation for the difficulty that I cannot recall.

Posts 1018
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2016 2:20 PM

Dan Francis:

EastTN:
I feel a bit churlish saying anything negative about a freebie, but that is a much more attractive cover.

I would agree but this is a relatively cost free thing (just the time to change it). If nothing ever happens I will be fine but I feel it is better for all involved, FL store for those who purchase, not just us who received it free. Like I said it is only my desire was improve things over all from an Aesthetic view point, but wholly unneeded.

-Dan

Hey, I wasn't trying to criticize you at all. I totally agree with you.  I just personally felt a bit of a twinge saying anything other than "thanks very much for the freebie."

Posts 5250
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2016 2:47 PM

Average Joe:
I thought I read once on the forum that the book cover art is one of the more difficult things to change in a resource. It doesn't seem like it would be, but there was some technical explanation for the difficulty that I cannot recall.

If that is true I wouldn't expect it to ever be changed... but it is more odd to me if it is... 

BTW EastTN I didn't think you were criticizing at all...

-Dan

Posts 201
David J. Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2016 4:30 PM

Seems easy enough to change cover designs when compiling a PB, so the difficulty might be in getting permissions from any copyright owners to use a given design.  Certainly is a better cover design and would be consistent with the other older (1950s, 1960s) NICNT commentaries offered by Logos:

Posts 5250
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2016 5:37 PM

David J. Wilson:
so the difficulty might be in getting permissions from any copyright owners to use a given design.  Certainly is a better cover design and would be consistent with the other older (1950s, 1960s) NICNT commentaries offered by Logos

I would have thought the book cover art would come with the permissions to do the work from a company... unless this is a work out of copyright, and if that is the case would not the original cover art also be? Not saying it was easy to find the cover, I had to hunt to find it (it was also published in UK under title the New London Commentary on the New Testament

-Dan

Posts 3187
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Feb 2 2016 5:45 PM

My cover on the print version of 1 Corithians by Hughes has a cover similar to Dan's post, but has NICNT instead of NLCNT- other than that its the exact style.

Posts 274
Average Joe | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2016 10:24 AM

Dan Francis:

Average Joe:

If that is true I wouldn't expect it to ever be changed... but it is more odd to me if it is... 

BTW EastTN I didn't think you were criticizing at all...

-Dan

I found this on the Wiki:

Unfortunately, it is very difficult to change a book’s cover image once it has been published. The cover image visible in the info pane is embedded in the files, and cannot be replaced without creating new resource files.

Posts 5250
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2016 10:32 AM

Average Joe:

I found this on the Wiki:

Unfortunately, it is very difficult to change a book’s cover image once it has been published. The cover image visible in the info pane is embedded in the files, and cannot be replaced without creating new resource files.

Thank you for sharing this... it asks us to keep reporting the wrong covers but doesn't tell us how exactly... So if they wish them reported perhaps eventually they may be fixed...

-Dan

Posts 5250
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 3 2016 10:50 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:

My cover on the print version of 1 Corithians by Hughes has a cover similar to Dan's post, but has NICNT instead of NLCNT- other than that its the exact style.

Very interesting... sounds like it likely started out under that name but had it's name changed outside of the UK to make it more palatable to a global market. Although does remind me a little of Bakers Understanding the Bible series... which was Hendrickesn's New International Biblical Commentary series which was revised and updated from Harper and Row's Good News Commentary series... or to a less extent Pillar Bible Commentaries which originally was brought together from 4 previously published commentaries they had released.

-Dan

Page 3 of 3 (49 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS