How can I set the target panel for a toolbar resource button?

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1084
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Feb 23 2010 10:56 AM

Hi.

I have been developing a 'reading view' in L4.

The idea is that I can easily read a resource (or several resources) sequentially.

I have a large placeholder panel in the center, my markup panel on the left and some clippings files on the right (hidden behind the power lookup). The clippings are open so that they appear on the context menu when I highlght a piece of text.

The resources that I am reading have been added to the toobar. Toolbar resources open to the previously open place unlike layouts which always open to the same page.

Here is the problem ... When I click on the toolbar button, the resource opens in the smal 'clippings panel' rather than the big panel with the 'placeholder note' in the centre. It has not always done this. I must have changed something whilst tweaking the layout. but I cannot work out what!

How can I set the target panel for a resource button to be the large central panel?

Many thanks

Martin.

BTW. They other panel, bottom right, is a general notes panel for my observations and thoughts. It is too small to use here but the F11 resolves that nicely

2010 17" MBP with High Sierra, iPad4 with iOS10.

Posts 1084
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 12:31 AM

In another thread Rosie suggested that there is an algorithm that is used by L4 to decide which panel should receive the newly opened resource.

• Have the details of this been published?

I have a big panel with one note which is being bypassed in favour of a small panel with several clippings and files notes. The algorithm does not seem to be working as I wold have expected since the number of open tabs and available space is not being respected.

I have tried replacing my big notes place holder with an open resource. It is the only resource that is open, but the algorithm still puts a newly opened resource with multiple notes and clippings files rather than with a resource file.

BTW. Do all resources load as quickly as each other? I was just thinking about a resource to use as a placeholder, chosen for loading speed rather than actually wanting to use that particular resource. What is the fastest resource to load?

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 5:17 AM

Martin Folley:

In another thread Rosie suggested that there is an algorithm that is used by L4 to decide which panel should receive the newly opened resource.

• Have the details of this been published?

I have not seen it published anywhere. It has only been vaguely hinted at in this video: Layout Management.

I wish the user had more control over what tile a resource initially opens in, but that is not the case. Logos thinks it's being smart and helping us out, by opening "like with like" (Bibles tiled with Bibles, commentaries together in another tile, etc.) whenever possible. But it doesn't always seem to work, and it might not be what we want in a given situation. Its opacity is also frustrating to those of us who would really like to know how the algorithm works.

In the meantime, you can get the layouts you want, albeit with a bit of wrestling, because you can drag tabs around to put them in whatever tile you want. The video I linked to above is very informative about all of this. Bit of a pain that you have to rearrange tabs every time though, when you've gone to the trouble to set up a nice "reading view" layout.

I think it has already been suggested that Logos should give users more control over where resources open in a future release, but if you'd like to add your voice to that, post a suggestion in the Suggestions forum and/or visit the new site Logos has set up to gauge user priorities for new features: http://logos.uservoice.com/

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 5:37 AM

Rosie Perera:

In the meantime, you can get the layouts you want, albeit with a bit of wrestling, because you can drag tabs around to put them in whatever tile you want. The video I linked to above is very informative about all of this. Bit of a pain that you have to rearrange tabs every time though, when you've gone to the trouble to set up a nice "reading view" layout.

If I understand the comment here, you can avoid the "rearrange" step because even from a button on the toolbar you can click and drag it to a panel before it has been shown - click a button (say for a Bible on your ribbon), hold the left button down, drag it to the panel you want until the cursor turns to a mouse cursor with a '+' sign, then let the button up.  It's very fast actually, in my more elaborate layouts I click and drag from everywhere and put resources exactly where I want them.

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 5:48 AM

Dominick Sela:

If I understand the comment here, you can avoid the "rearrange" step because even from a button on the toolbar you can click and drag it to a panel before it has been shown - click a button (say for a Bible on your ribbon), hold the left button down, drag it to the panel you want until the cursor turns to a mouse cursor with a '+' sign, then let the button up.  It's very fast actually, in my more elaborate layouts I click and drag from everywhere and put resources exactly where I want them.

Good point. I knew that. But I'd forgotten it and haven't been using that shortcut. Thanks for reminding me!

Posts 1084
Martin Folley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 28 2010 9:09 AM

Thanks Dominick

That one had escaped me completely but fits the bill perfectly. Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS