In 2016 What is the priority order of your Top 10 Bibles in Logos and why?

Page 2 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 47 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1538
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2016 12:27 AM

P A:
What is the priority order of your Top 10 English Bibles in Logos and why?

NET - for me it seems to convey the meaning well.

I don't use other English translations very often because English is not my mother tongue and I don't have an emotional connection to any particular translation. When travelling, I can use the tablet and usually can find the translation preferred in the church I happen to attend, that's the advantage of the modern technology!

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 13399
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2016 12:44 AM

P A:

I find it interesting you still consult NIV 84. I like a lot of people was concerned when they replaced it with NIV 2011.

But now I regard NIV 84 as ancient history, I want to use the latest version of a translation,

Many people in the church will have the 1984 NIV in print, and bring it with them to church, so I need to be aware of possible translation differences.

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2016 12:47 AM

There are elements of translation that are significant. 

For instance, some translations do not signal where YHWH underlies the translation "Lord" by using all caps. 

The translation of ḥesed as just "love" (NIV) is detrimental to understanding OT theology (and the character of God!) and especially liable to reading the Western notion of love back into the Bible (not least in the Psalms).

The attempt to make the Bible gender-neutral is at the very least quite controversial (NIV 2011). 

Aside from these, all translations are fallible and make choices that are debatable and sometimes tendentious, like the attempts to replace theologically loaded words with dynamic equivalents that don't quite do the job (e.g., repent in the CEV).

The intent of my post is not to start a debate à la faithlife.com but just to point out what kind of criteria inform my selections for English Bibles. 

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2016 4:31 AM

Stephen is there a Differenz

1) NRSVCE (Only OT) - For Old Testament Interlinear

2) RSVCE - For My Academic Studies and NT Interlinear

to

NRSV and RSV?

Posts 887
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2016 5:26 AM

I think these are catholic editions:NRSVCE, RSVCE

P A

Posts 621
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2016 6:46 AM

My list doesn't go up to 10 but ...

NKJV - not as accurate as KJV but easier to read

ESV - Nice and easy

KJV - most probably the most accurate translation but I find ye'ald Englishe a bit difficult to read fluently 

NASB95

1901 ASV

AMP - I just like the way it presents a quick one line explanation

LEB - Only just started with this and I think it will move up the league as I read it more.

Posts 621
Dave Thawley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2016 6:53 AM

Francis:

There are elements of translation that are significant. 

For instance, some translations do not signal where YHWH underlies the translation "Lord" by using all caps. 

The translation of ḥesed as just "love" (NIV) is detrimental to understanding OT theology (and the character of God!) and especially liable to reading the Western notion of love back into the Bible (not least in the Psalms).

The attempt to make the Bible gender-neutral is at the very least quite controversial (NIV 2011). 

Aside from these, all translations are fallible and make choices that are debatable and sometimes tendentious, like the attempts to replace theologically loaded words with dynamic equivalents that don't quite do the job (e.g., repent in the CEV).

The intent of my post is not to start a debate à la faithlife.com but just to point out what kind of criteria inform my selections for English Bibles. 

I think this is important (for me anyway). I want to understand Gods word accurately and by abstracting away from an already translated text into a form where detail is sacrificed for easier language seems counter productive.  We all are different though :-) 

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2016 7:15 AM

P.A. Yes but what is the Different? The Text, or Footnotes...

Posts 198
Stephen Terlizzi | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2016 7:36 AM

Sascha John:

P.A. Yes but what is the Different? The Text, or Footnotes...

http://www.bible-researcher.com/rsv-ce.html

Both...please check out the above link for more details.

Agape,

Steve

Posts 2851
Sascha John | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 13 2016 8:13 PM

thanks Stephen

Posts 106
Kristin Dantzler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 14 2016 4:00 AM

Here is the list for my current study

NKJV
ESV
AMP
Young's Literal Translation

NASB95

NRSV

NIV

CEB

NLT

The Message

Posts 9239
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 14 2016 4:31 AM

Mark Barnes:

P A:

I find it interesting you still consult NIV 84. I like a lot of people was concerned when they replaced it with NIV 2011.

But now I regard NIV 84 as ancient history, I want to use the latest version of a translation,

Many people in the church will have the 1984 NIV in print, and bring it with them to church, so I need to be aware of possible translation differences.

Another thing to consider is those who have memorized a particular version. Personally I have hundreds of verses that I have memorized from the 1984 NIV and that is one reason I still use it and have never fully embraces the 2011 NIV.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 9239
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 14 2016 4:35 AM

I guess I should also provide my current prioritized list.

• ESV
  • NIV 84
  • LEB
  • NASB95
  • NEB
  • REB
  • NLT
  • NIV 11

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 389
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 14 2016 4:44 AM

My prioritized list:

ESV I like the translation. It is my main reading, preaching, and teaching text. 

NASB because when studying I like to have a range of translations, from literal to paraphrastic.

NIV84 for the same reason as NASB and because many people use it in the congragation. 

NKJV because it is from a different text type. I can see some of the variants without referring to a critical apparatus right away. 

NLT because of the same reason I gave for the NASB. 

No others are prioritized. 

Posts 2320
Forum MVP
John Fidel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 14 2016 5:26 AM

I have the following prioritized. Since the visual and bible filter settings are retained, I use different versions to get different visual and bible filters.

1. ESV this is the bible I read and study in the most.

2. NASB95 I find this follows the original languages most closely, but is sometimes worded a bit awkwardly.

3 LEB I have this bible set to show proportional outlines

4. NKJV to be able to see possible textual variants in the underlying original language texts, and it is easier to read than the KJV.

5. NIV 2011 very readable and I have the bible filter so there are not headings, chapter, verse numbers... just the text. I use this to read the text through several times without any distractions.

6. NRSV for when an apocryphal reference is in another text, this is the version that I want displayed.

7. NET for the notes

Posts 1663
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 14 2016 6:21 AM

P A:

My top 5 are:

1. ESV: for study, the consistency of translation from original languages suits me.
  2. NIV: better translation/expression in English (after I have the original language sense).
  3. NRSV: gives me results for Apocrypha searches (informative for 2nd temple thinking)
  4. NLT: required to use this for some Bible study with others.
  5. NKJV with Apocrypha: because I grew up with KJV and still need those search words.
Posts 887
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 14 2016 7:24 AM

Bruce Dunning:

I guess I should also provide my current prioritized list.

• ESV
  • NIV 84
  • LEB
  • NASB95
  • NEB
  • REB
  • NLT
  • NIV 11

I find it interesting that you placed the radical NEB over the more conservative, although more gender inclusive REB. As one who campaigned hard for both to be in Logos I would love to know your reasons why?

P A

Posts 1043
John Goodman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 14 2016 4:17 PM

P A:

Please no links to previous posts or threads I want this to be current (2016)

Thank you

P A Geeked

Why did you ask? Have you found it helpful?

גַּם־חֹשֶׁךְ֮ לֹֽא־יַחְשִׁ֪יךְ מִ֫מֶּ֥ךָ וְ֭לַיְלָה כַּיּ֣וֹם יָאִ֑יר כַּ֝חֲשֵׁיכָ֗ה כָּאוֹרָֽה

Posts 451
Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 14 2016 4:48 PM

I have 8 Bibles prioritised in Logos 6. These are:

KJV 1900

AV 1873

ESV

NKJV

NASB )1995)

LEB

HCSB

NRSV

My approach is to keep close to the KJV as far as possible but for study purposes I make comparisons with Bibles such as the ESV and NASB (1995). The first 5 Bibles in the list are the ones I would go to most often for comparisons rather than the whole list of Bibles. I do have the NLT, NIV etc, but rarely consult them unless someone has raised question with me using one of those versions.    

My devotional focus is always on the KJV and no other version. I also use KJV for church, but the church I attend cites any Bible available except the KJV which I find disappointing. still, I trust that whatever version people use that God will meet them where they are.  Keep well  Paul

Posts 9239
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 14 2016 5:14 PM

P A:

I find it interesting that you placed the radical NEB over the more conservative, although more gender inclusive REB. As one who campaigned hard for both to be in Logos I would love to know your reasons why?

P A

Funny you should ask. Actually the reason that I first purchased these is because you campaigned so hard for them. Smile They are currently on my list not because I really like them but because I am trying to familiarize myself with them and I like to compare different versions. For instance, this year in my yearly reading of a Bible version, I am reading the REB and was thinking about reading the NEB next year. I must confess that I don't think the REB will become a favourite of mine. 

Page 2 of 3 (48 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS