Pre-Pub Changes

Page 2 of 4 (79 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 78 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 2328
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 5:54 AM

After rereading the thread it looks like there are "promotion assets" used to support resources gathering interest.  However, this is still confusing to me.  I'm not sure what "promotional assets" are.

I'm not upset at all about the resources being removed, just not not sure how it impacts other resources from getting produced.

Another thought I had is that if a resource is on prepub for several years, even if it reaches production, a user who preordered the resource at the beginning may have changed their mind about wanting it, but because they ordered it so long ago they may have forgotten to cancel their order.  I can see how this would impact Logos financially.

Posts 2394
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 6:09 AM

Ronald Quick:

Matthew Miller:
We believe this will optimize the Pre-Pub system and help us produce and ship products faster.

If no work is done on a resource until it goes into production, I don't understand how a prepub that has not gone into production has any impact on Logos' ability to "produce and ship products faster."

I think that they are assuming that if they shorten the list we will switch our orders to the few that they keep on their list even thou we ignored those items in the past.  

Posts 27553
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 6:14 AM

Ronald Quick:

Matthew Miller:
We believe this will optimize the Pre-Pub system and help us produce and ship products faster.

If no work is done on a resource until it goes into production, I don't understand how a prepub that has not gone into production has any impact on Logos' ability to "produce and ship products faster."

I don't think the issue is the employees ability to "produce and ship products faster," but rather, by having fewer prepubs, users will be more concentrated on a few items, causing them to go into production more quickly. By doing so, prepubs will be able to be "produced and shipped faster."

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 6:20 AM

It looks like my Pre-Order Total is lower than I remember, but I can't tell what may have been removed.  Hopefully the e-mails go out today.

Posts 259
scooter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 6:20 AM

Notice how few pre-pubs were added from the time when the FL layoffs took place till the Crossways sunami happened. 

Posts 1937
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 6:25 AM

1. When will the email be sent out that tells us what was already removed from Pre pub?

2. What happens to those products removed from pre-pubs?  Has  a decision been made not to produce them? or to move them to community pricing?  or to move them to see them in production another way?

Posts 3658
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 6:34 AM

Thank you, Faithlife, for the notification and explanation.

It makes sense to me that if a stage of pre-publication is "gathering interest," it would follow that if not enough interest is gathered over time, the product cannot remain offered indefinitely. Is there a specific duration of time that serves as criteria to gauge interest and after which a pre-pub would be cancelled? 

Posts 292
Bruce Roth | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 7:12 AM

I suspect that if a prepub has been languishing for years and eventually gets enough interest to go to publication, it probably doesn't make economical sense to bother putting it into publication as it probably won't sell many copies as a regular product.

Posts 8898
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 7:19 AM

FYI - As I see things now here are the current stats of books in pre-pub

1. "Under Development" = 361
  2. "Almost There" = 85
  3. "Gathering Interest" = 719
  4. Total - 1,165

That still is quite a few resources.

Can we assume that, if a resource reaches "Almost There" it would likely not be pulled even if it has been a while?

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 1937
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 7:22 AM

So many questions. Hopefully they will all be answered today

Posts 298
LogosEmployee
Matthew Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 8:21 AM

Mark:

So many questions. Hopefully they will all be answered today

Some questions have already been addressed by other users and myself. I'll try to address a few that have come up that have not been answered or may need further clarification.

1. Was the cancellation done to make room for Crossway? No. The Crossway products played no part in our choices about which Pre-Pubs to cancel. Each Pre-Pub was evaluated on its own individual performance.

2. How did Faithlife decide what to cancel? Our methodology primarily focused on two key elements: the age of the Pre-Pub and customer interest. There were times when other extenuating circumstances also played a part, but the vast majority of our decisions were based on these criteria.

3. What does this mean for canceled products? The canceled Pre-Pubs have been removed permanently and will not be produced. There are many reasons for this approach, but our main concern is clarity for our users. It is possible that some products will be reintroduced, but if they are they will come back as an entirely new/reconfigured Pre-Pub.

4. How will this help remaining Pre-Pubs? Reducing the number of Pre-Pubs will make remaining products more visible to users, and thus will concentrate customer interest on those offerings.

5. Where’s the email? The email has not been sent. It will be coming very soon, hopefully by EOD today.

Posts 3658
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 8:39 AM

Thanks, Matthew.

Posts 879
P A | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 9:15 AM

Matthew Miller:

Pre-Pubs that are Under Development have not been affected. 

Bullinger's critical lexicon is stll there  few!Big Smile

https://www.logos.com/product/8512/a-critical-lexicon-and-concordance-to-the-english-and-greek-new-testament

P A

Posts 570
HansK | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 9:25 AM

P A:

Matthew Miller:

Pre-Pubs that are Under Development have not been affected. 

Bullinger's critical lexicon is stll there  few!Big Smile

https://www.logos.com/product/8512/a-critical-lexicon-and-concordance-to-the-english-and-greek-new-testament

P A

Yes Big Smile

This week I have deleted almost all my pre-pubs, but this one stayed in!

MacOS Sierra / Logos 7 Collector's Edition & All Base Packages / Logos Now

Posts 6321
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 9:58 AM
Goodbye Rod Mattoon! At least John Phillips made it :)
Posts 512
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 11:26 AM

DAL:
Goodbye Rod Mattoon! At least John Phillips made it :)

Well, I guess this is all a good thing: at least now I can go buy cancelled products like Mattoon from the competitor with confidence, knowing it'll never appear in Logos.

Posts 1887
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 12:14 PM

This is a very disappointing way in handling this situation. I just ordered a pre-pub last week that now appears to be gone. Could FL not have done some kind of simple announcement of pending deletions (say 30 days), minimal promotion (email, forums), and seen if that notice moved the needle sufficiently for a few of those resources?

Even though FL said that email announcements would be forthcoming, I'm skeptical. If they do send such emails, I hope they include the specific items in my pre-pub list that were cancelled.

Donnie

Posts 8898
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 12:40 PM

Donnie Hale:
Could FL not have done some kind of simple announcement of pending deletions (say 30 days), minimal promotion (email, forums), and seen if that notice moved the needle sufficiently for a few of those resources?

I think that strategy would have been appreciated by people but I'm not sure if it would have made much difference in the end.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 274
Average Joe | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 12:49 PM

Donnie Hale:

This is a very disappointing way in handling this situation. I just ordered a pre-pub last week that now appears to be gone. Could FL not have done some kind of simple announcement of pending deletions (say 30 days), minimal promotion (email, forums), and seen if that notice moved the needle sufficiently for a few of those resources?

Even though FL said that email announcements would be forthcoming, I'm skeptical. If they do send such emails, I hope they include the specific items in my pre-pub list that were cancelled.

Donnie

A "last chance" effort would have been nice. But I'm guessing it probably would not have made much of a difference, considering the items removed had all been up for a long time and were still a long way off from meeting the threshold. I'd be curious to see if there would have been any significant movement on any of those resources, though. An expiration date can be a powerful motivator. Big Smile

Posts 10116
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 17 2016 12:53 PM

Excellent point, Mr Ames (you have interesting but cogent observations).

Myself, I'll definitely notice the missing pre-pubs, now that they're not there. Before, I completely missed them.

Actually, I took the hint from Matthew, and thinned down my prepub orders. Too many, and it diverts my interest in the remaining.

Page 2 of 4 (79 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS