Visual Filters and Duplicate Resources

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 15
Thomas Middlebrook | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Mar 9 2016 8:57 AM

I am having the devil of a time getting my visual filters to populate in the drop down menu, and I think it has something to do with the duplicate BHS SESB v2 that I have in my account. 

The issues began when I purchased the SESB package (a while ago), which was a great purchase. However, I already had the original languages package that included the BHS SESB (though not the LXX, Vulgate, etc). SO, now I have two sets of that version of the BHS and its apparatus. The obvious fix is to "hide" one resource. However, other resources will (indiscriminately, as far as I can tell) hyperlink to either BHS copy. For instance, I click on a verse link in the BHS apparatus, and then a window pops up that asks me to "unhide" the hidden BHS. Really annoying, but I can just manually search for that verse in my other BHS.

But the straw that breaks my back is that the visual filters are all wonky. Sometimes they appear for one of my copies, sometimes with the other, and sometimes the visual filter will simply switch it's association with one copy and go to the other. Again, this is as far as I can tell what is happening.

When I speak with customer support they assure me there is no way to delete a resource from my account (which hardly seems possible), but I the bottom line is that Logos is already pretty perschnickity about the UI and this may be the Accordance moment for me. Reaching out here is a last stitch effort.

I know I haven't given sufficient details here (btw, I've got a minimal cross grade version 6.10), but if anyone has an idea about this issue, then I would appreciate any feedback.

Peace and grace

Posts 25341
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 9 2016 9:10 AM

Hi Thomas

Thomas Middlebrook:
But the straw that breaks my back is that the visual filters are all wonky. Sometimes they appear for one of my copies, sometimes with the other, and sometimes the visual filter will simply switch it's association with one copy and go to the other. Again, this is as far as I can tell what is happening

This sounds very frustrating - can I check what behaviour you are looking for?

Do you want the visual filter to be associated with both or just one?

How is it currently defined - in terms of resources? Can you post a screenshot (using the paperclip icon) showing the top of the definition?

Thomas Middlebrook:
Reaching out here is a last stitch effort.

Glad you did

Thomas Middlebrook:
btw, I've got a minimal cross grade version 6.10

I doubt if that is affecting what you are seeing here

Graham

Posts 15
Thomas Middlebrook | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 9 2016 9:27 AM

Here is an example. The definitions are identical, the association is not.

or for the other issue:

After clicking on the critical apparatus, I got this window. Notice the "unhidden" copy of my BHS sitting idly in the tabs behind the hidden one.

Posts 15
Thomas Middlebrook | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 9 2016 9:29 AM

So, a complication is that the associations with either one BHS copy or the other cannot be specified since they are entitled with the exact same label. The only way I tell them apart is in my library where I have tagged them (and the percent of them which has been read also differs).

Thus, I cannot associate the visual filter with both.

Posts 25341
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 9 2016 9:53 AM

Thomas Middlebrook:
So, a complication is that the associations with either one BHS copy or the other cannot be specified since they are entitled with the exact same label. The only way I tell them apart is in my library where I have tagged them (and the percent of them which has been read also differs).

Thus, I cannot associate the visual filter with both.

I don't have those resources so can't check but what happens if you change the actual title in the Library

If you changed the title (or abbreviated title) on one of them you may be able to create a collection that includes both and use that in your Visual Filter definition. That way both would be included.

Does that make sense at all?

Posts 15
Thomas Middlebrook | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 9 2016 10:01 AM

I hadn't realized you could change the title. I am working with that.

although I am guessing this will still mean that all of my notes and search parameters will need to be duplicated? .....

Posts 13420
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 9 2016 10:04 AM

I agree with Graham that if you want to you work out what's really going wrong, you'll need to rename at least one of the 'duplicate' resources so you can see whether what you think is happening is really happening.

That said, I wouldn't worry too much about what might be going wrong. You should be quite safe in hiding one resource, so long as you hide the right one. This is the SESB version to keep:

LLS:1.0.204  2009-03-12T22:17:45Z BHSSESB.lbxlls

and hide this one:

LLS:BHSSESB2 2006-12-16T00:22:51Z BHSSESB2.lbxlls

I'm not sure you'll find many (if any) links to the old one, so I think you can safely hide that. Perhaps previously you hid the newer one?

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 9 2016 1:09 PM

Thomas Middlebrook:
I hadn't realized you could change the title. I am working with that.

Thankfully can change long and short titles for resource(s) plus add Deprecated tag:

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS