Same resource opened but one is used as a reference resource

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3024
Milkman | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 12 2016 8:48 AM

This is what I'd like to do:

1. I want two resources of THE SAME KIND to be opened at the same time.
  2. I want both to be linked together. So both are 'A' in the Link Set.
  3. I want one of my resources to be the "primary" resource. Sort of as the resource I'm reading
  4. I want the other resource (which is exactly the same as the other) to jump to a reference point that my "primary" resource refers to.

For example: I'm reading a resource that refers to either an article, map, definition etc, within that specific resource and allows you to jump to the reference point.

I don't want my "primary" resource, the one I'm actually reading, to go to that reference, but I want my OTHER resource to go there.

This makes it so much easier and faster to study then to have to go back and forth. No transitioning just smooth reading.

mm.

mm.

Posts 3007
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 12 2016 10:46 AM

Milkman:
I want both to be linked together. So both are 'A' in the Link Set.

Why?

Posts 26104
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 12 2016 11:30 AM

Would two copies unlinked but one set to "send hyperlinks here" do what you want?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3024
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 12 2016 1:18 PM

Why not?

Let say I'm reading the Zondervan Atlas of the Bible and the chapter is specifically talking about or referring to military campaigns.

While reading the Atlas it is referencing place names, kings, battlefields, territories, trade routes, bodies of water, geographical regions, foreign nations, should I go on?

If I have the secondary Atlas open or even a third one, I can have those maps, battlefields and regions open and continue to look at them as I continue to read the Primary Resource.

This way I can continue to have my secondary maps etc open and look at them while reading my chapter(s) instead of looking at a map, then going back to my reading and then opening up another reference and then going back to my reading and then opening up a map and looking at a trade route(s) and then going back to my reading.............. Get the point?

So to answer your question, makes it much easier instead of flipping back and forth.

Or you can look at it like this:

Imagine you're reading in your study and you have a hard copy of a book on your desk. The book could be the Scriptures or any other one for that matter.

The material you're reading is talking about the Eastern Dispersion and Alexander's conquest. It mentions trade routes, regional territories, bodies of water etc. Because you want to follow along with your readings and the description of places etc., you get up and go to your closet and pull out a wall map or another book from one of your book shelves. You open it to the place names, routes that is being talked about in your original book.

Now you have this colourful map with descriptions, mileage markers, weather patterns, rainfall annuals etc beside your book that you're reading. All you have to do is glance over to the reference in your book and follow along, giving you a real-time picture of the material in your book.

However, imagine how much of a pain in the butt it would be to have to go to your closet and find that map, open it to the places that are being talked about in your book? Not only that, but once you have your map, you put your original reading back in your book shelf only to have to open it again once you put your map back in your closet.

Hope that answers your question.

SineNomine:

Milkman:
I want both to be linked together. So both are 'A' in the Link Set.

Why?

mm.

Posts 3024
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 12 2016 1:22 PM

Hey MJ,

I'm not sure how to do that or even what that option is.

Would you please explain it to me?

MJ. Smith:

Would two copies unlinked but one set to "send hyperlinks here" do what you want?

mm.

Posts 3024
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 12 2016 1:36 PM

I found this - https://wiki.logos.com/Send_Hyperlinks_here and followed the example, but when I click on a reference it opens in the same book....

mm.

Posts 26104
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 12 2016 1:42 PM

You clicked in the version without the send hyperlinks here set? That sounds like a bug.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3024
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 12 2016 1:46 PM

Is this right?

mm.

Posts 26104
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 12 2016 2:25 PM

Unfortunately, I don't have the resource to test but it looks like you have it set up correctly.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS