Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 47
Paul Boone | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Feb 24 2010 7:30 PM

It would be nice to be able to click and drag a verse you want highlighted and then right click and find a highlight option. This is preferable than to do as I presently do, click the "show highlighting" icon and select a highlight color.

Posts 2977
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 7:39 PM

I agree. This should be an option. I have requested a right-click highlighting option in the past. It seems they want to keep the right-click menu less cluttered. I think it would be well worth the clutter on the right-click menu to be able to reduce on-screen clutter and avoid having the highlight window open

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 19082
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 24 2010 10:20 PM

See also the discussion and my suggestion in this thread: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/12346.aspx

Posts 43
David James | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2010 1:40 PM

I definitely agree with the need for right-click highlighting.I

Posts 2
Samuel Stone | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 25 2011 1:40 PM

I love the evolution of the Libronix system.  However, not being able to highlight the text easily just irritates me a lot, and make me want to try other Bible software.  I've been with Logos for 15 years now.  Never been so annoyed by such a small featured.

Posts 8899
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 25 2011 2:07 PM

Samuel Stone:

I love the evolution of the Libronix system.  However, not being able to highlight the text easily just irritates me a lot, and make me want to try other Bible software.  I've been with Logos for 15 years now.  Never been so annoyed by such a small featured.

Welcome to the forums.

This thread is more than one year old. Logos has gone a long way since then. All it now takes to highlight is to select the text and press one shortcut key. What could be easier than that?

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 25 2011 2:45 PM

Samuel Stone:

Welcome to the forums.

fgh:
This thread is more than one year old. Logos has gone a long way since then. All it now takes to highlight is to select the text and press one shortcut key. What could be easier than that?

Despite the fact that the thread is old and circumstances with the program have changed in the interim, this reveals how differently people use the program.  I only use highlighting when I am involved in studying something else and wish to remind myself to return to the highlighted portion when finished [and delete the highlighting on return].  For some it is nearly a deal-breaker.  I suppose that stems from the fact that I was told by a number of persons that one needed to make annotations in one's books, but when I tried it I discovered that sometimes the markings were of unimportant matters and in other cases were later incomprehensible so I quit. 

EDIT:  That is why I like notes -- one cannot adequately develop a thought "in the margin" as Bob envisions notes.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 186
Robert G. Mettler | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 25 2011 3:24 PM

George Somsel:

but when I tried it I discovered that sometimes the markings were of unimportant matters and in other cases were later incomprehensible so I quit. 

EDIT:  That is why I like notes -- one cannot adequately develop a thought "in the margin" as Bob envisions notes.

Notes are indeed far superior to merely marking up a book. When you later return to a marking it is difficult to recall exactly why you decided to mark a particular word or phrase, plus you have defaced the authors work at the peril of misinterpreting him or taking things out of context. In a note the thought can be developed with additional references and amended as appropriate for understanding or for clarification.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 25 2011 3:29 PM

Robert G. Mettler:
plus you have defaced the authors work at the peril of misinterpreting him or taking things out of context.

Defaced is an appropriate characterization -- it's ugugugly.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 855
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 11:16 AM

And for those who do want to use highlighting - It is very easy in L4. I don't see a strong need for a right-click menu item when you can set up many shortcut keys options on the Highlighting panel.

I have Y for yellow highlights, B for blue font, R for red font, G for green font, U for underline, etc.  After selecting some text, just hit the key for the color you want and voila! I wouldn't want to get too diverse: less complex -  less mess. Tongue Tied 

Posts 28725
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 11:58 AM

Robert G. Mettler:

Notes are indeed far superior to merely marking up a book. 

George Somsel:

Defaced is an appropriate characterization -- it's ugugugly.

Robert & George -  Obviously there are different strokes for different folks. I use highlighting to mark what I consider key points or the author's primary emphasis. Sometimes an author can ramble on and on. Sometimes I highlight as I read, but often I will read a section (whatever suits my fancy at the time) and go back and highlight after the fact. This allows me to come back to the book at a later date and gain a refresher about the authors main points.  The funniest thing about your posts is to call highlighting in Logos "defacing." With the click of a box, the highlights disappear. With another click, those helpful highlights magically reappear! I wonder if Samuel meant that he was disappointed with the lack of highlighting within the iOS logos app. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 28725
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 12:24 PM

Here is an example from Grudem's "Systematic Theology." The screen shot below shows my highlighting. The next paragraph shows what I will re-read at a later date. Of course, if I need more, I can always go back and re-read the entire chapter / section, etc.

Churches today have many different forms of government... It seems to me, then, that there ought to be room for evangelical Christians to differ amicably over this question... But I do not mean to say that this is an entirely unimportant matter. In this area as well as others, a church may be more or less pure. If there are clear New Testament patterns regarding some aspects of church government, then there will be negative consequences in our churches if we disregard them...

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 8 2011 12:27 PM

alabama24:
I wonder if Samuel meant that he was disappointed with the lack of highlighting within the iOS logos app.

C'mon, 'Bama, Samuel didn't have the iOS logos app -- all he had was the Ark of the Covenant.  Big Smile

BTW:  It's somewhat different in Logos than in a print version, but in a print version it is definitely defacing.  In Logos I don't have time to read resources 2 & 3 times.  I just remember it or make a note not merely highlighting what I think is important but explicating its importance.

george
gfsomsel

Posts 16
Christian Girl | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 18 2012 10:48 PM

YES!!! Highlighting on the ipad is drag and click and it's all done. Why does L4 make it such a chore to highlight? Simple would be nice :) Yes

Posts 28725
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 19 2012 8:32 AM

Reformed Girl:
Why does L4 make it such a chore to highlight? Simple would be nice

FYI - you can assign keyboard shortcuts to specific highlighters.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS