SUGGESTION: Search My Content

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 29278
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 25 2010 1:27 AM

It would be nice if "My Content" was an option in the search along with "entire library" et. al.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 18885
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2010 1:52 AM

Good idea!  +1 Yes

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2010 2:59 AM

Yes

Posts 15
Jeff Lindell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 31 2011 8:33 AM

I agree!  Is there a way to search just my content otherwise?  I know my content will turn up in the passage guide, but it isn't specific.  For example, I am preaching through the book of Ruth right now and I have all sorts of clippings and notes I have made that relate to Naomi's bitterness.  I have tagged most of them under Naomi's bitterness.  However, they may fall under different clipping categories such as, "The Purpose of Ruth,"  "The Setting of Ruth," and "Ruth's Loyalty."  If I search the passage guide, those clipping titles will pop up and if I click on them and it will give all the clippings for that topic.  I would then have to search individually through that set of clipping using ctrl-f I believe.  That seems quite cumbersome and time consuming.  

What I'm looking for is a search that would produce either the tags of my clippings or phrases or words from them in a list that display some the context.  Is this possible?

Posts 18885
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 31 2011 10:25 AM

Jeff Lindell:

What I'm looking for is a search that would produce either the tags of my clippings or phrases or words from them in a list that display some the context.  Is this possible?

Yes, you can currently do that using the Basic Search, but you must make sure you're searching your Entire Library. Then a "My Content" section will show up at the top of the results (assuming there are any hits from your search in your content). If you restrict your search to a collection, though, the "My Content" section does not show up. This is something we've complained about in the past. And there should be a way to restrict a search to just My Content, but there isn't at present.

Posts 855
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 6 2011 10:51 AM

I was just thinking of this last week. Glad someone else was too :)

Great ideaBig Smile

Posts 15
Jeff Lindell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 12:28 PM

Rosie Perera:
Yes, you can currently do that using the Basic Search, but you must make sure you're searching your Entire Library.

Yes, that is true, but the results seem almost worthless.  

Let's say I have created 40 clippings all under a heading called Ruth 1.  Some I have tagged relating to Naomi's bitterness, others Ruth's Loyalty, others God's compassion, others the purpose of the book of Ruth, etc.  Let's say I do a basic search for Naomi's bitterness.  All the basic search returns is the heading for the those cards:  Ruth 1.  If I click on it I get all 40 cards, and I will have to sort through them myself to find the ones pertaining to Naomi's bitterness.

This being the case, it makes me wonder what the real benefit of the tags are since there does not appear to be any quick means of accessing the tags that are the same.  Am I wrong on this?  If there isn't what would the purpose of the tags really be?  Maybe I have misunderstood their purpose.

Posts 18885
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 12:43 PM

Jeff Lindell:
This being the case, it makes me wonder what the real benefit of the tags are since there does not appear to be any quick means of accessing the tags that are the same.  Am I wrong on this?  If there isn't what would the purpose of the tags really be?  Maybe I have misunderstood their purpose

When you have a Clippings file open, you can type Ctrl+F then enter a tag you're looking for, and it will filter the 40 clippings cards to show you only the ones with that particular tag. (You can't combine multiple tags in this kind of search, though.)

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 12:44 PM

Jeff Lindell:

Rosie Perera:
Yes, you can currently do that using the Basic Search, but you must make sure you're searching your Entire Library.

Yes, that is true, but the results seem almost worthless.

Let's say I have created 40 clippings all under a heading called Ruth 1. Some I have tagged relating to Naomi's bitterness, others Ruth's Loyalty, others God's compassion, others the purpose of the book of Ruth, etc. Let's say I do a basic search for Naomi's bitterness. All the basic search returns is the heading for the those cards: Ruth 1. If I click on it I get all 40 cards, and I will have to sort through them myself to find the ones pertaining to Naomi's bitterness.

This being the case, it makes me wonder what the real benefit of the tags are since there does not appear to be any quick means of accessing the tags that are the same. Am I wrong on this? If there isn't what would the purpose of the tags really be? Maybe I have misunderstood their purpose.

Jeff, searching our content in L4 is better than it was in L3, but I think it has a way to go. I hope that Logos will merge clippings, notes, "sermon file addin," and PBB together into one UI/storage so that our data can be "merged" into L4 so that we can do things like searching our data as you stated.

Posts 29278
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Feb 16 2011 12:54 PM

What should work is mytag:bitterness with a search on Search Fields in Entire Library. Unfortunately it fails to highlight the matches so it simply shows the entire clippings file.  AARGH.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 15
Jeff Lindell | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Feb 21 2011 10:40 AM

At least now I know the answer to my questions and that others are feeling the same frustration...and yes I would agree L4 is an improvement upon L3.  I was just hoping that there was going to be a little more there.

Posts 3770
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 2 2011 10:47 AM

Yes, PLEASE make the "My Content" search way more functional! We need:

1. To be able to search my content without having to search the whole library.

2. To have more detailed / useful results.

3. As gravy (but not as essential/urgent), it'd be nice to be able to pick which content to search (eg, a specific note file or note files or clippings, etc).

I just did a search for faith AND fear. I am quite sure I have written a substantial commentary on this very topic in one of the notes. Can't find it though. Various note files appear in the My Content section search results. Clicking on any just leads to one (the first entry) that qualifies and nothing more. Since I cannot use operators in the CTL+F box, I'm stuck (searching for either faith or fear would produce too numerous results to be useful).

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS