Bible Translations

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3841
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Feb 25 2010 5:11 PM

I posted a few minutes ago about the current version of Nelson's Annual Preacher's Sourcebook.  The current edition includes two new translations in PDF format - that are not yet in LOGOS.  Two questions:

1. Can any one tell me anything about these translations?
  2. Will they be available in LOGOS at some point in the future?

The two translations are:

1.  The Voice
  2. The Expanded Bible

Thank your for any information that can be provided.

Blessings,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 33271
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 25 2010 5:21 PM

Floyd Johnson:

The two translations are:

1.  The Voice
  2. The Expanded Bible

From Amazon:

The Voice™ is the product of the best minds in this emerging generation of Christian leaders. Together they are helping young people fall in love with the Scriptures. Instead of confining God's Word in the framework of biblical criticism, The Voice™ highlights the beauty of God's communication to His people. In The Voice™, the voice of God is heard as clearly as when He first revealed His truth. This is the first-ever complete New Testament in The Voice™ translation. Writers include Chris Seay, Lauren Winner, Brian McLaren, Greg Garrett, David B. Capes, and others.

The Expanded Bible: New Testament reflects the latest scholarship, current English, and the needs of contemporary students of the Bible. This new testament includes a multitude of study aids right in line with the text. Expanded translations and other helps make it possible for you to study the Bible while you read

• Expanded translations bring out the meaning of words and offer alternatives.
  • Literal meanings of terms from the original languages are included where they can provide more understanding.
  • Traditional wordings assist recollection of familiar terms and expressions.
  • Comments explain passages that can be understood better with a brief remark.
  • Useful references supply rewarding opportunities for comparing other Scriptures.
  • Variants display additional wording in some of the original language texts.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 19278
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 17 2012 6:49 PM

The Voice is now released and there was a story about it on CNN today: 

http://us.cnn.com/video/?hpt=hp_t3#/video/bestoftv/2012/04/17/sot-nr-the-voice-bible.cnn

Here's the official website:

http://www.hearthevoice.com

Posts 9521
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 17 2012 7:03 PM

Since this is a Nelson product I think we can be pretty hopeful it will be released in Logos format at some time. I will be interested in reading it once that happens.

I do note that Dr Capes said on CNN that they made a conscious decision not to transliterate but to translate while explaining why the word Christ does not appear in the translation. Interestingly they retain the transliteration Baptist, baptize, baptism, etc. as seen in a sample of John 1 found on the website. Strange inconsistency.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1680
Jerry M | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Apr 17 2012 7:11 PM

The Expanded Bible: New Testament - Logos Bible Software

"For the kingdom of God does not consist in words but in power"      Wiki Table of Contents

Posts 19278
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 18 2012 3:01 PM

Mark Smith:
Interestingly they retain the transliteration Baptist, baptize, baptism, etc. as seen in a sample of John 1 found on the website. Strange inconsistency.

I noticed that too. But baptize just happens to also be the translation of βαπτίζω. And it has a natural meaning to people in English apart from just being a transliteration. Looks like they are not going out of their way to avoid translations that came from transliteration in the first place. Only ones that apparently cause people confusion because they are not otherwise normal parts of the English language outside of their biblical context. I'm not offering any opinion on their choice to omit Christ, just explaining why it might not be inconsistent with their translation philosophy to use baptize nonetheless.

Posts 29735
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 18 2012 3:08 PM

My initial impression was the same as yours, Rosie. I reserve judgement on the translation, but would like to have it in Logos.

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 3841
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 18 2012 5:15 PM

Jerry M:

Thanks Jerry for the details.  

Since my original post, two years ago, I have purchase The Voice (NT), The Voice (Bible), and The Expanded Bible. I have also place my order for the LOGOS version of the Expanded Bible.  I have not used them much so am not in a position to evaluate either of them.    

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 2896
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 18 2012 6:01 PM

alabama24:

My initial impression was the same as yours, Rosie. I reserve judgement on the translation, but would like to have it in Logos.

I agree, and I am reserving judgment about it, too.

MJ's quote from Amazon about the Voice was interesting.  The statement "In The Voice™, the voice of God is heard as clearly as when He first revealed His truth" raised my eyebrows a bit.  'Tis a noble enough goal, but I believe I would hesitate to make such a lofty claim. 

Still, I went to the website and was favorably inpressed with the verses that I read from The Voice.  It seemed a refreshing and accurate translation, so far as I checked.  Though it seemed to border closely on a paraphrase, rather than a translation, in my opinion.  It seemed something between Today's Living Version (a very free translation) and The Message (a paraphrase).  I can see where it could find a nich and be a great benefit to seekers, who seem to be the target audiance.

No more than I read, I may have misjudged it altogether.  I am much more favorable than my initial reaction.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 2040
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Apr 23 2012 3:26 AM

Of course it is, because it has strong Universalist bias. Source: my post: http://www.christianforums.com/t7600870-post59290532/?highlight=Voice#post59290532

Michael Childs:
seekers, who seem to be the target audiance.

Disclosure!
trulyergonomic.com
48G AMD octacore V9.2 Acc 11

Posts 1522
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 25 2012 7:44 PM

Mark Smith:

Since this is a Nelson product I think we can be pretty hopeful it will be released in Logos format at some time. I will be interested in reading it once that happens.

I do note that Dr Capes said on CNN that they made a conscious decision not to transliterate but to translate while explaining why the word Christ does not appear in the translation. Interestingly they retain the transliteration Baptist, baptize, baptism, etc. as seen in a sample of John 1 found on the website. Strange inconsistency.

That is, indeed, quite odd. I assume this was because a literal English translation of "dip", "plunge" or "immerse" for baptism would not have sat well with those who baptize by any other means than immersion. Also, John the Plunger sounds rather silly. Smile

Posts 19278
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 25 2012 9:36 PM

Josh:
John the Plunger sounds rather silly.

He fixes toilets. Smile

Posts 29735
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Apr 25 2012 9:43 PM

Rosie Perera:
He fixes toilets.

You could say that he was bi-vocational. Smile

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1522
Josh | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 26 2012 6:37 AM

Rosie Perera:

Josh:
John the Plunger sounds rather silly.

He fixes toilets. Smile

I can't get the idea of "baptism by swirly" out of my head...

Posts 998
David Carter | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 26 2012 7:10 AM

Rosie Perera:

He fixes toilets. Smile

Do you think  he was flushed with success? Smile

Posts 205
Oldnewbie | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 26 2012 9:58 AM

David Carter:

Rosie Perera:

He fixes toilets. Smile

Perhaps.  And I'm sure none of his sermons was ever watered down. Smile

Posts 19278
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 26 2012 11:27 AM

Oldnewbie:

David Carter:

Rosie Perera:

He fixes toilets. Smile

Perhaps.  And I'm sure none of his sermons was ever watered down. Smile

Tanks for piping up and making me chuckle. Smile

Posts 21
PetrosD | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Apr 26 2012 2:09 PM

I don't care much for its expansions.

"Mary was the mother of [gave birth to] Jesus, who is called the Christ [Messiah]"

Why does 'mother of' have to be expanded to 'gave birth to'? I mean there's no confusion that she is both  the mother of and the one who gave birth to Jesus.

As far as I can tell, every "Christ" is accompanied with the expansion "Messiah". But John the Baptist is left without expansion. That seems to me to be inconsistent. Why 'expand' the transliteration "Christ" and not the transliteration 'baptize".

Mary was engaged [pledged; betrothed; a formal agreement between families that required a "divorce" to annul]"

I think "engaged" needs no further explanation. And if it did, "pledged' and "betrothed" are not going to clarify for someone who doesn't understand "engaged".

"The baby what is conceived in her"? - Is that grammatically correct? It sounds awkward.

You are snakes [brood/offspring of vipers]! ! Who warned you to run [slither, flee]..."

ἔχιδνα isn't necessarily 'viper' so the generic 'snakes' is fine. But why expand it to include 'vipers'?And why 'brood", an archaic English word not in common use today except in the expression "you brood of vipers". And adding "slither'?

"Jesus fasted for forty days and nights [analogous to Israel's forty years in the desert]". That's it? What about other forty days/nights?

I did like the 'expansion' of the description of the Holy Spirit descending on Jesus "like a dove" -- "either in the form of a dove or in a birdlike descent". That does tend to nudge a bit at tradition but seems quite reasonable.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS