Bad News for Those Who Purchased the Calvin 500 Upgrade

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 32 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Feb 27 2010 11:54 AM

Just like many of you I was not getting the new versions of Calvin's Commentaries to download in either L3 or L4. I manually downloaded all the L3 commentaries and this is what I got!

In other words, this upgrade did not include the new rebuilt commentaries! We are all stuck with the old Ages commentaries!

I was certainly under the impression that the upgrade would upgrade the commentaries as well. Was I the only one under this impression?

Posts 9542
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 11:59 AM

Something is wrong. Did you run the unlock script for 3.0?

Here's an excerpt from the Calvin 500 Upgrade page:

Do you already own Calvin’s commentaries? Then this upgrade edition of the Calvin 500 Collection is for you. The previous edition of Calvin's commentaries was created many years ago, using the best digital files available at the time. In celebration of John Calvin’s 500th birthday, we’re rebuilding Calvin’s commentaries from the ground up. This collection contains new files for Calvin’s commentaries, plus Calvin: Commentaries, edited by Joseph Haroutunian and published as part of the Library of Christian Classics. Remember, for these files to unlock, you will need to already own the previous edition of Calvin’s Commentaries. If you do not already own the previous edition of Calvin's Commentaries, you will need to order the Calvin 500 Collection with the new edition of the commentaries included.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 12:00 PM

It sure looked like we were to get the newly rebuilt commentaries. http://www.logos.com/products/details/5171

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 12:01 PM

Mark A. Smith:
Something is wrong. Did you run the unlock script for 3.0?

Yes I did. I synced as well.

Posts 9542
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 12:09 PM

Not sure what could be wrong. You are to get the commentaries, so that isn't the issue. Maybe someone else will have an idea. Otherwise I'd guess it means a call to Logos on Monday.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 69
Nick Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 12:12 PM

It looks like the same issue is affecting the 'Calvin 500 Upgrade' as seems to have hit some (at least) of those who'd bought the commentaries upgrade. Maybe only certain editions of the commentaries qualify? The filename on my original is GS_CALVC.LSF, which I presume is a Galaxie Software version. I didn't realise there'd be a problem with this, as it wasn't clear on the prepub page.

Or it could just be a glitch - the delights of technology...

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 12:13 PM

As you can see below the email Logos sent me does not have any links to the commentaries. It is pretty clear they did not intend to enclude these newly rebuilt commentaries. I am really disappointed in this.

Logos Bible Software

1313 Commercial Street

Bellingham, WA  98225-4307

1-800-875-6467

This is to inform you that your recent Pre-Pub order of Calvin 500 Collection: Upgrade (108 Vols.) is now ready to be downloaded. Your credit card has been charged. Please print a copy of this invoice for your records.

Use the following links to download the book files you purchased:

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/DEFMODCLVNS.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/TRAGDYREFRMTN.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/ARMHYPCALVNS.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/CALVNENMIES.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/CLVSRVTUS.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/CALVREFRMTN.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/CLVSWSREF.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/CALVININLTTRS.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/CLVSCRDIVSOV.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/CALCOMMHAR.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/CLVMEMADD.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/CALVINTHEOTRTS.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/CLVDOCTPRED.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/CLVDOCTWRD.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/CLVNSMMODTHT.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/CLVNSMINHIST.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/CALVNSPOPLZD.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/CALVADDFROUDE.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/CALVAPHRSMN.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/CALVCALVNSM02.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/CALVCALVNSM01.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/CHRSTENDLAW.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/CHSTLUTHRCALVN.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/COLDAYSCALVIN.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/ICRALLEN.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/ICRBEV.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/ICR-LAT.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/ICR-FR.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/JCGENREF.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/JCINFPROTSTNT.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/JCSTDYFRHUM.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/JCLIFINFLUENCE.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/JCLFLTTRSWRK.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/JCMANWORK.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/JCORGPROTREF.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/JCSTATESMN.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/JCTHEOLGN.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/LTTRCALVIN.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/MEMLFWRTJC.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/SRVTUSCALV.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/ERLYYRSJC.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/ESSCALVNSM.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/5PTSCALVNSM.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/5PTSCALVNDDD.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/ICRNORTON.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/LFTIMESJC01.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/LFTIMESJC02.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/LIFEOFJC.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/THEOCALVIN.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/TRUDOCTIMPPTS.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/3ADDCALVN400.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/TRACTRELREF01.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/TRACTRELREF02.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/TRACTRELREF03.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/WHTCALVNDNUSA.lbxlls

ftp://ftp.logos.com/lbxbooks/WHATCALVINISM.lbxlls

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 12:17 PM

NickWatson:

It looks like the same issue is affecting the 'Calvin 500 Upgrade' as seems to have hit some (at least) of those who'd bought the commentaries upgrade. Maybe only certain editions of the commentaries qualify? The filename on my original is GS_CALVC.LSF, which I presume is a Galaxie Software version. I didn't realise there'd be a problem with this, as it wasn't clear on the prepub page.

Or it could just be a glitch - the delights of technology...

I remember that when they orginally anounced this collection they clearly stated that the Galaxia set was not included. But I have the Ages set which Logos has purchased and has been selling as their own. If I recall they said that the Ages set DID qualify for the upgrade.

Posts 13423
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 12:19 PM

It seems to me that there's been a problem at Logos' end. It seems to me that people have either:

• Had no email from Logos, but ended up with the new commentaries
  • Had an email from Logos and got everything but the commentaries.

And no-one has both. I'm sure they'll fix it on Monday.

Posts 9542
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 12:31 PM

The email on the commentary update did not include a link to the commentaries, only the Haroutunian volume. However when I ran the unlock script and downloaded the new files from the ftp site I did get the new commentaries in Logos 3. So I know that with extra effort to download the files in 3.0, those who ordered the Commentary Upgrade got the new commentaries in both 3.0 and 4.0. I didn't get the Calvin 500 Upgrade, so the trouble could be in the unlock script that went out for that.

In 3.0 syncing licenses without previously unlocking in 3.0 does not get you your resources unlocked. You have to go through the extra step of unlocking the resources unlike in 4.0. Some might forget or overlook that step if they've been using 4.0 most of the time. Just sayin'.

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 1157
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 12:34 PM

I received 18 updated commentary files (for L4 but not L3) but am still waiting to be billed and sent the rest of the material.

Tom

Posts 1359
Edwin Bowden | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 12:39 PM

Mark A. Smith:

Otherwise I'd guess it means a call to Logos on Monday.

Maybe it would be a good idea for Logos to NOT release new items on Fridays! Embarrassed

Posts 69
Nick Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 12:48 PM

P.Keith Larson - thanks for the response!

If there was anything about different editions of the commentaries, I missed it! If anyone has an announcement for which were included, please post it as I can then just chalk it up to 'should have read more carefully...' There's certainly nothing on the current listing page which indicates that only some editions qualify.

Otherwise I think I'll have to try to wait till Monday to find out what's going on.

Nick

Posts 13423
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 12:59 PM

NickWatson:

If there was anything about different editions of the commentaries, I missed it! If anyone has an announcement for which were included, please post it as I can then just chalk it up to 'should have read more carefully...' There's certainly nothing on the current listing page which indicates that only some editions qualify.

Not exactly an announcement, but:

I agree with you that the product page isn't clear about that.

Posts 69
Nick Watson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 1:12 PM

Mark,

Thanks! I clearly should have read every line on every page of the blog before ordering... something on the actual product page would have been helpful!

I didn't even realise that there was more than one version of the commentaries circulating in Libronix format, so didn't think of asking.

Oh well. I'm sure I'll enjoy reading the book of extracts from the commentaries which I've apparently bought by accident.

What's starting to be more frustrating is realising that all those times I reported typos in the commentaries, thinking I was helping the revision process, were a complete waste of effort!

I'm sure it did me some spiritual good...

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 2:14 PM

Mark Barnes:

It seems to me that there's been a problem at Logos' end. It seems to me that people have either:

• Had no email from Logos, but ended up with the new commentaries
  • Had an email from Logos and got everything but the commentaries.

And no-one has both. I'm sure they'll fix it on Monday.

It looks like they sent out the wrong update scripts. I own both the Galixie and Ages versions. I wonder if whoever was checking people's accounts to check for illegality just was not doing a very careful job. Perhaps they came to the Galixie versions in my account and stopped there assuming I did not have the Ages set as well. I am sure a phone call will clear everything up on Monday.

Posts 19351
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 2:16 PM

Bummer!

I hope whoever calls them on Monday gets the problem straightened out for all of us. I'm about to go out of town for a couple of weeks so I won't be able to deal with this until I get back.

Posts 1178
David Wilson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 2:21 PM

Looks like there were (and indeed still are) several versions of Calvin's commentaries available, including the PBB version, and the 69MB single file Galaxie Software version.  Was it the AGES version that Logos were calling their earlier version ?   I suppose that is one of the risks of making Libronix versions of older books that are in the public domain, there can be several versions produced by different partners.   But then again, in many cases there were different versions of the originals, especially those that were translations from other languages.

Nick:  The latest update for the Galaxie version is not the one with the LSF extension:  See if this update is unlocked for you....
 ftp://ftp.bible.org/galaxie/libronix/chc2/GS_CALVC.lbxlls

Posts 19351
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 2:46 PM

David J. Wilson:

Looks like there were (and indeed still are) several versions of Calvin's commentaries available, including the PBB version, and the 69MB single file Galaxie Software version.  Was it the AGES version that Logos were calling their earlier version ?    

I had the AGES versions, and only some of them have been updated to new (Logos 2009) versions for me. And I still have the originals.

For example: John

Support  Info:

LLS:29.48.1001
20O6-O3-23T20:12:25Z
AS_CAJON.lbxlls  

New version:

Support  Info:

LLS:CALCOM64JN
2010-02-01T20:41:51Z
CALCOM64JN.logos4

These are the ones that were updated for me (the file datestamp on them all is 2/11/2010, so maybe I got them a couple of weeks ago and not yesterday; maybe that was something else):

I also got the associated MSTIDX files, though, and those were dated 2/26/2010:

Posts 939
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Feb 27 2010 5:08 PM

Mark Barnes:

NickWatson:

Not exactly an announcement, but:

I agree with you that the product page isn't clear about that.

That is insufficient, IMO. When that question was posed to Phil, there should have been a clarifying note added to the upgrade page. If someone did not receive email notices and did not check the blogs, he would never have realized there was an issue. I could be missing something, but there is at least a lack of information which should be cleared up in the customer's favor.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Page 1 of 2 (33 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS