Why the ESV Falters as a General Purpose Bible

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 23 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 5250
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 14 2016 11:59 AM

Everett Headley:

Shouldn't this be in Christian Discourse?  The title alone is inflammatory.

Quite possibly but the tittle was not meant to be so but was quoting the title of the paper. It might be better in CD but we thankfully did not go down a theological path indeed the merits I objected to were not theological grounds but on readability and usage. 

-Dan

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 14 2016 12:14 PM

This morning, I was able to get the BBQ started, just using the title. So, yes, in-flames-atory.

I tried out my most used. ESV was #70. Even my coptic and syriac far surpassed it, and I can't read either of them.  The use stat is flavored by layouts, and auto-installs (eg Antioch Matthew loaded, due to another Bible passage in Matthew).

Posts 3054
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 14 2016 12:17 PM

Denise:
The use stat is flavored by layouts, and auto-installs (eg Antioch Matthew loaded, due to another Bible passage in Matthew).

Yes, it doesn't track how much time we spend with it open, but rather how many times we open it.

Posts 26532
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 14 2016 12:55 PM

Everett Headley:

Shouldn't this be in Christian Discourse?  The title alone is inflammatory.

Perhaps, but the article is on an academic site, is not denominational, and I made no comments for or against. Had the paper been more theological in content rather than simply initially identifying its theological position, I would not have shared it. I would also hope that people took advantage of the opportunity to see what papers are available on the site, noted that they can be downloaded, converted and made into PB's ... I hoped that ESV/ISV was a topic of sufficient interest to actually see what the paper (and site) are.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS