Books Are Back

Page 2 of 3 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 46 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 616
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 26 2016 8:17 AM

alabama24:
FWIW - I am not a hyper-environmentalist, but I consider myself a conservationist. I am glad that my 6,000+ Logos books and 1,000+ Kindle books didn't require any trees to be cut down for me to read.

While that may or may not be true, the production of ebooks is not necessarily environmentally friendly.

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 26 2016 8:59 AM

Randall Cue:

One thing I can say for sure, I will never give up my paper Bible.

I do still have one print bible:  Biblia Sacra Utriusque Testamenti which has the Hebrew text on one side and the Greek on the other.  It's good for taking to church if they don't happen to have a pew bible since I WILL NOT use electronic media in church.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 29228
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 26 2016 9:14 AM

Randall Cue:
the production of ebooks is not necessarily environmentally friendly.

How so? Were electronic trees cut down in the process? Wink

If you are simply talking about electricity, that is a non-starter imho. The cost to power my eInk kindle is negligible, and certainly much less than the power to light the lamp to read a paper book. Wink

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 616
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 26 2016 5:49 PM

Do you know the process used in producing ebooks? Is every step of that process environmentally friendly? It is funny that you mentioned electricity. Electricity is a much cleaner power source than burning coal; however, much of the electricity produced in this country is produced by burning coal.

I'm not talking about the power needed to use an ebook, I'm talking about the presumption that the process of producing ebooks is more environmentally friendly than the process of producing paper books.

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Posts 29228
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 26 2016 6:26 PM

Randall Cue:
I'm talking about the presumption that the process of producing ebooks is more environmentally friendly than the process of producing paper books.

You still haven't answered my question. Wink

Posts 616
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 26 2016 7:30 PM

I did. You just didn't like the answer. Geeked

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Posts 29228
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, May 26 2016 8:05 PM

Your argument is circular: eBooks aren't as environmentally friendly as you think because eBooks aren't as environmentally as you think! What <specifically> isn't environmentally friendly "in the process"?

Remember also: most of the "process" to create the eBook is also needed to create the print book. 

Posts 616
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 27 2016 10:36 AM

I suggest you read the following articles:

The Myth:Electronic Communication is More Environmentally Friendly Than Print and Paper found at twosomes.info

Going Paperless Not as Green as You May Think| GreenBiz blog

Is Digital Media Worse for the Environment Than Print? at media shift.org

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Posts 10817
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 28 2016 4:20 AM

Randall Cue:

I suggest you read the following articles:

The Myth:Electronic Communication is More Environmentally Friendly Than Print and Paper found at twosomes.info 

Going Paperless Not as Green as You May Think| GreenBiz blog 

Is Digital Media Worse for the Environment Than Print? at media shift.org 

Randall, put a space after links in order to activate them.

Posts 1104
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 28 2016 4:24 AM

George Somsel:

... I WILL NOT use electronic media in church.

I prefer not to as well.  It would be too easy for me to become distracted and lose myself in a sea of electronic resources, rather than fully participate in communal worship.

Posts 616
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 28 2016 5:21 AM

Jack Caviness:
Randall, put a space after links in order to activate them.

Thanks, Jack. I didn't copy them as links but I probably should have.

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Posts 5317
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 28 2016 6:28 AM

EastTN:

George Somsel:

I prefer not to as well.  It would be too easy for me to become distracted and lose myself in a sea of electronic resources, rather than fully participate in communal worship.

Odd I have never had an issue with this at all... however my spouse will occasionally play solitaire but so easily distracted...

-Dan

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 28 2016 7:03 AM

Paper vs digital?

Most paper (unsupported assertion) comes from southern tree plantations. Which in turn enhance the atmosphere, while waiting to die.

But cutting has much smoke and waste, plus chemicals to produce paper, ship, store, etc.

On the other hand, paper books, once produced, can go through multiple uses, and be re-cycled easily.

Digital (Kindle, Mac, etc) is pure pollution until the use point. But what is the life?  2-3 years before disposal?

I've not seen a head-to-head comparison.

Same with washing cars. We use less water than our dishwasher to wash our cars. But the city demands a carwash, which spews water everywhere and uses chemicals to reclaim the water. Head to head comparison?

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 2876
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 28 2016 8:33 AM

EastTN:

George Somsel:

You certainly do NOT have to use electronic books in Church.  But I pastor a church in heart of the Bible belt in a small southern county seat town.  We are about as traditional as they come.  And almost all my young adults, most of my members under 40, use electronic Bibles either on cell phones or tablets in church and at home.  Not all, mind you, but most.  And a significant number of my members over 60 do so.  If that is true here, then I think you fighting a losing battle.

I actually prefer people to use the Bible they will use.  Anything that gets people into the Bible, I am for.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 3293
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 28 2016 8:43 AM

One good EMP strike will solve this issue- do not get rid of your paper material :)

Posts 29228
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 28 2016 8:51 AM

Randall Cue:
Here are the links to the articles mentioned above.

Did you actually take time to read the articles? If you had, perhaps you would have noticed that two were the same article, by the same author. Stick out tongue

From the Don Carli (2010) article: 

Don Carli:
This article does not make a case that print is categorically preferable to digital media. Rather, it presents evidence that our digital media choices can have significant unintended environmental consequences.

Don's article isn't "paper is better." He is an environmentalist with an agenda. His target audience are other environmentalists. He is trying to convince them that they need to be just as upset about other environmental issues... not just about paper. 

The other article is from a paper lobby. Hmm. I wonder what they think about the issue. Wink

If you find a reputable author from a reputable source claiming "eBooks are worse than paper," let me know and I'll take a read. 

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 28 2016 9:19 AM

alabama24:
The other article is from a paper lobby. Hmm. I wonder what they think about the issue. Wink

You didn't by any chance mean "I wonder what they think about the tissue," did you?  Wink  Big Smile 

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 616
Randall Cue | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 28 2016 9:27 AM

alabama24:

Randall Cue:
Here are the links to the articles mentioned above.

Did you actually take time to read the articles? If you had, perhaps you would have noticed that two were the same article, by the same author. Stick out tongue

From the Don Carli (2010) article: 

Don Carli:
This article does not make a case that print is categorically preferable to digital media. Rather, it presents evidence that our digital media choices can have significant unintended environmental consequences.

Don's article isn't "paper is better." He is an environmentalist with an agenda. His target audience are other environmentalists. He is trying to convince them that they need to be just as upset about other environmental issues... not just about paper. 

If you find a reputable author from a reputable source claiming "eBooks are worse than paper," let me know and I'll take a read. 

Yes I did read them and others as well. I mistakenly used the same article twice. Also, I never claimed that eBooks were worse than paper. What I stated was that ebooks may not be as eco friendly as you think.

Soli Deo Gloria

Randy

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 28 2016 9:32 AM

Michael Childs:

You certainly do NOT have to use electronic books in Church.  But I pastor a church in heart of the Bible belt in a small southern county seat town.  We are about as traditional as they come.  And almost all my young adults, most of my members under 40, use electronic Bibles either on cell phones or tablets in church and at home.  Not all, mind you, but most.  And a significant number of my members over 60 do so.  If that is true here, then I think you fighting a losing battle.

I actually prefer people to use the Bible they will use.

I suppose that does save the church the expense of buying pew bibles.  Stick out tongue

george
gfsomsel

Page 2 of 3 (47 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS