Attn. Faithlife - Duplicate material in resource? Possible missing material as well

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Jun 7 2016 6:53 AM

This is ultimately not a high priority, but I am posting it here because it seems more than just a simple typo. The book in question is Divorce and Remarriage: Biblical Principle and Pastoral Practice by Andrew Cornes. Resource information is:

LLS:DIVREMARR
2015-06-30T16:22:00Z

DIVREMARR.logos4

As you can see from the screenshot below, this resource has two sections entitled "The Question of Mixed Marriages." From what I can tell, the first occurrence of this section in chapter 5 (shown to the left, highlighted) does not belong and is duplicate material that should solely be in chapter 6 (shown to the right). It is almost as if the material from chapter 6 was pasted over the material in chapter 5, and in the process deleted what actually belongs in chapter 5. Notice that immediately after the material in question is another sentence that picks up midway through (marked with red brackets in screenshot). I do not have a dead tree copy to compare with, so I do not know if it is just the first part of a sentence that got chopped off or whether a more significant amount of material is missing. Either way, there seems to be an issue here.

Posts 27806
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 7 2016 7:16 AM

The resource on the left appears to be a Vyrso title. It is puzzling that it has page numbers. What "edition" is listed in your library for it? The book on the right is a Logos edition (the same as I own), and appears to be "right." The additional material in the Vyrso edition doesn't make sense in context, so I assume it is in error. In any case, I would simply hide the one on the left. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 7 2016 8:11 AM

Thank you for the suggestion, but I am afraid I was not clear in my original post. My screenshot shows two copies of the exact same resource (a Logos edition, support information provided in original post). I opened the resource once, right-clicked it, and selected "open a copy in a new tab." This was done so Faithlife could clearly see both instances of the section I believe was wrongly copied from chapter 6 and pasted into chapter 5. This is not a Vyrso/Logos edition problem and therefore simply hiding something will not solve the problem - it would prevent me from using the resource at all.

EDIT: Alabama, after re-reading my reply to you, I realized some of what I said might be read as somewhat snarky, and I want to assure you that was not my intent. Honestly, I didn't even know there was a Vyrso edition of this resource, though admittedly I never looked it up. According to my tagging, the resource I am posting about was obtained as part of a Logos 5 base package.

Posts 234
Colin | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 7 2016 8:36 AM

Hi Matthew, 

I have the physical book and the book in Logos format. The issue here is in fact with the original edition and thus the file supplied by the publisher - the entirety of p. 217 is misplaced and the text reads from 216-218. As you have noticed, p217 is a duplicate of p244 and that is where the material belongs. So the section on p217 - 'implication, perhaps ... Corinthians in their letter' - should be excised.

The text reads properly from bottom of p216 'those who knew that Jewish (and Roman) law demanded divorce' p218 'in the case of adultery.'

Thus there is no missing material - just a full page of duplicated material.     

Colin.

Posts 933
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 7 2016 9:10 AM

Thanks Colin. Mystery solved!

Posts 27806
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 7 2016 11:36 AM

Matthew:
Alabama, after re-reading my reply to you, I realized some of what I said might be read as somewhat snarky,

It didn't come across that way. Smile

I misunderstood your post and thought two resources were in question. The TOC through me off a bit too... Now I see that you were in two different chapters. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS