Is there an easier way to create a collection?

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 28 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 2392
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Mar 1 2010 8:45 AM

I have had problems creating collections before, but it is more difficult with the release of the Calvin 500 prepub.  I would like to be able to type "Calvin" in the "start with resources matching" box , remove the resources I don't want and save that result.  Then type another search term in the "start with resources matching" box without losing the resources I have already added.

Right now I find myself opening up my library and dragging each resource individually.  It works, but takes a lot of time.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ron

Posts 13397
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 8:51 AM

Ron,

If you follow the link in my signature, you'll see two videos about creating collections. You can use the searchterms AND, OR NOT and ANDNOT to help in your creating of commentaries.

You could also let us know what you're trying to achieve and perhaps someone will suggest a suitable string.

Mark

Posts 18867
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 9:31 AM

RonaldQuick:

I have had problems creating collections before, but it is more difficult with the release of the Calvin 500 prepub.  I would like to be able to type "Calvin" in the "start with resources matching" box , remove the resources I don't want and save that result.  Then type another search term in the "start with resources matching" box without losing the resources I have already added.

Right now I find myself opening up my library and dragging each resource individually.  It works, but takes a lot of time.

Any ideas?

Hi Ron, I know exactly what you're talking about! I used to open the Library along side the Collections pane to drag items individually from there. Then I progressed to using rules in the collections pane. I learned that I could type a collection rule (or a portion of one) in the Library pane and get a similarly limited list. This wasn't in order to drag the books one-by-one, though, it was a great way, I figured, to check each piece of the rule as I went. So for example, I'd type author:calvin in the "start with resources matching" box. Then I'd go over to my Library pane and type title:calvin -author:calvin to see if there were any books with Calvin in their title that weren't already picked up by my first search term. If indeed there were, then I'd add title:calvin to my rule in the Collections panel, and keep going thusly. Finally I realized I could do away with the Library window altogether, by just adding (temporarily) the minus signs in my collection rule as I'm building it up. I also sometimes select what I've got thus far in my rule, press Ctrl+X to cut it to the clipboard, try out some more rule terms and then paste back the rule as I had it before in front of the new terms, fixing up the parentheses and ORs and ANDs and NOTs (or minus signs) as necessary.

Posts 2392
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 10:52 AM

I'm trying to create a collection of the Calvin 500 Collection (108 Volumes).

Thanks for the ideas.

Posts 13397
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 11:51 AM

Ron,

I'm using the following collections string: author:"calvin, john", title:calvin, subject:calvin

It's slightly too broad, but you can remove the handful of resources you don't want. Personally, if I have other books about Calvin/Calvinism I want them in my Calvin collection, regardless of whether they're in the official Calvin 500.

Mark

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 11:53 AM

RonaldQuick:

I'm trying to create a collection of the Calvin 500 Collection (108 Volumes).

Thanks for the ideas.

I realize this won't help you now, but maybe in the future. Every time I add a resource to my library I filter my library to everything that does not have a "Old Resources" Tag, then I tag all the new items with a unique identifier. For instance today I added the R.C. Sproul library so I tagged those resources as "Sproul". When I download a single resource I tag it "Downloaded".  then I also tag them as "Old Resources" so that the next time I add something they are filtered out easily.

At this point I think the easiest way to do it is to tag the items in your library as "Calvin 500" and then create a collection with the string mytag:"calvin 500". If you do a collection with a string like "author:Calvin" future purchases from Calvin will be automatically added to your collection and tagging from the library is much easier then dragging items one at a time because you can tag multiple items at once.

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 11:57 AM

Mark Barnes:

Ron,

I'm using the following collections string: author:"calvin, john", title:calvin, subject:calvin

It's slightly too broad, but you can remove the handful of resources you don't want. Personally, if I have other books about Calvin/Calvinism I want them in my Calvin collection, regardless of whether they're in the official Calvin 500.

Mark

Thanks for the  idea Mark, I borrowed it and created my own collection.  I agree with you, I would prefer any Calvin resources in there too.

Posts 142
John Hapgood | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 4:04 PM

Is there a way to make a rule that excludes a "type" like dictionary or bible ?

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 4:16 PM

sure is. First you want to list every book in your library

rating:>=0

Then you want to exclude the books of that type

rating:>=0 ANDNOT type:dictionary, bible

The above string will create a collection with everything not a Bible or dictionary.

Posts 142
John Hapgood | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 4:30 PM

Philip Spitzer:

sure is. First you want to list every book in your library

rating:>=0

Then you want to exclude the books of that type

rating:>=0 ANDNOT type:dictionary, bible

The above string will create a collection with everything not a Bible or dictionary.

What I want is every commentary except bibles and dictionaries.

What I have is "Commentary, Commentaries, Warfield, Owen". If I add "ANDNOT type:dictionary, bible" then I loose all the bible commentaries

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 4:34 PM

John Hapgood:

ah. I think what your looking for then is

type:"bible commentary"

Posts 142
John Hapgood | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 4:55 PM

Philip Spitzer:

John Hapgood:

ah. I think what your looking for then is

type:"bible commentary"

That works, Is there a way to get two collections open at the same time so I can compare the results? I tried but failed.

Posts 18867
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 5:22 PM

John Hapgood:

Is there a way to get two collections open at the same time so I can compare the results? I tried but failed.

There's no way to open two collections at the same time. However you can at least check how many books are in each collection to get a first idea as to whether they are the same. And if you're running 4.0b beta, you could export each collection to a bibliography (saved in a text file) and then compare the two bibliographies.

Another way to see the difference between two collections is to take the rule for one collection and then subtract the rule for the other and see if you end up with any resources at all in that difference selection. For example, the Calvin 500 bundle recently shipped. I might have had a Calvin collection already using this rule: title:calvin OR author:calvin. Now suppose I set up a new collection for Calvin 500 by tagging each one of those books "Calvin 500" and using the rule mytag:"Calvin 500". Now I want to compare these two collections to see if there are any books that are in one but not the other (and vice versa). Looking at the total resource count, I see that the first one is the larger collection, so I put that one first and subtract the second (important not to leave a space after the - sign; it means ANDNOT when prefixed immediately to a term in a collection rule).

So you can accomplish this one of two ways:

title:calvin OR author:calvin ANDNOT mytag:"Calvin 500"

title:calvin OR author:calvin -mytag:"Calvin 500"

Note that if the second collection rule were more complex than one term, you'd need to put it all in parentheses to have it all negated with ANDNOT or the minus sign.

So if I wanted to reverse that "subtraction" I'd do this:

mytag:"Calvin 500" ANDNOT (title:calvin OR author:calvin)

Lo and behold, I discover there are three books in the Calvin 500 bundle that do not have Calvin's name in their title nor him as the author.

So you can find out all kinds of neat things by subtracting collection rules.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 5:23 PM

Well, I must admit I've never tried this personally so I don't know for sure how it would work, but what if you took one collection string, put it into a new collection, and then said "-[second collection string]. This should reveal any books in the first string that are not duplicated in the second. Then reverse and put [second string]-[first string] to reveal those in the second not duplicated in the first.

Posts 18867
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 5:31 PM

Philip Spitzer:

Well, I must admit I've never tried this personally so I don't know for sure how it would work, but what if you took one collection string, put it into a new collection, and then said "-[second collection string]. This should reveal any books in the first string that are not duplicated in the second. Then reverse and put [second string]-[first string] to reveal those in the second not duplicated in the first.

That's exactly what I just described (though Philip did it more elegantly and succinctly), and it does work.

Also, you need parentheses around the collection string to the right of the minus sign (not square brackets) if it's got multiple terms in it; and be sure there's no space between the minus sign and the collection string (or open parenthesus).

Posts 142
John Hapgood | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 5:36 PM

That cool!

Thanks Philip & Rosie

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 5:38 PM

Rosie Perera:
That's exactly what I just described (though Philip did it more elegantly and succinctly), and it does work.

On a forum great minds think alike and type at the same time :-)

Posts 83
Timothy Shrimpton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 5:39 PM

Is there a way to add a collection to a collection?  I've got things divided up pretty well, but I'd like to maybe be able to search all of those in one massive collection without having to rebuild them all.

Posts 13397
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 5:52 PM

TimothyShrimpton:

Is there a way to add a collection to a collection?

Yes. Just create an empty collection and drag your other collections into the "Plus these resources" section.

Posts 3810
spitzerpl | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 6:28 PM

Mark Barnes:

TimothyShrimpton:

Is there a way to add a collection to a collection?

Yes. Just create an empty collection and drag your other collections into the "Plus these resources" section.

To add a bit to Mark's suggestion click on "Open" and drag the collection from this list to the "Plus these resources"

Page 1 of 2 (29 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS