Syntax Search Success!...Maybe?

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Mar 4 2010 9:01 AM

I have been watching tutorial videos and reading posts on the forums and on the Wiki trying to figure out:

First what I could really gain by spedning time on Syntax searches and

Second how to construct one that seems to work.

While studying Romans 12:9 I noticed that the clause"Let love be without hipocrisy" was a "verbless clause" that included a "adjectival phrase". I wondered if there were other verbless clauses with an adjectival phrase discussing agape love; so after playing with Cascadia for a few minutes I constructed the following search and came up with a total of two verses in the NT; Romans 12:9 and 1 Corinthians 13:13.

I was thrilled because it was the first time I have been able to construct a search that returned anything that was close to what I thought I was looking for.

My question is does this search look right to all you Syntax experts (Kevin) out there. My purpose of this search was to determine if there were other places "agape" is included in a verbless clause and qualified by an adjectival phrase. Are my results an accurate anzwer to my question.  

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 4 2010 10:26 AM

I would not consider myself a syntax expert, just someone stubbornly determined to figure out how it works!

Your search looks good, a couple of comments:

• The matching skips levels on the unordered group probably is not be needed. Clause functions are going to be directly under the clause unless there is an embedded clause within the verbless clause, and if that were the case I doubt would return results you wanted.
  • A good way to test the validity of your search is to make it more permissive, like this:

It pulled in 2 more hits, which may or may not be interesting to you, but certainly do not have the adjectival phrase you were looking for.

I would feel reasonably confident that you have gotten a satisfactory answer to your question. The only way to double check would be to run a morph search on αγαπη in the Nominative, weed out the verbal clauses and then check for adjectival phrases... a long process to be sure.

Posts 4768
RIP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 4 2010 11:09 AM

Thanks Kevin. As a side note, the last video you made is what demonstrated the "unordered group" criteria I used. I had not thought about that characteristic of the Greek language until you discussed it in the video. Thanks for the feedback above. You (and many of the others on this forum) have been a big help to all of us out here trying figure all this stuff out.

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS