Bad timing for website to be down? Or strategic planning that I am not smart enough to figure out

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1049
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 22 2016 8:53 AM

Maybe it's just me....but it seems like REALLY REALLY bad timing to have the website down during a major upgrade like this. Maybe it would have been better to have migrated the website during the middle of the night. I mean, I know that FL has users around the world, but I would think the focus would be on the US customer base, since that is where the largest segment of customers likely originates. As such, a 1AM to 6AM PST downtime might have been a better transition. That way, as people in the US awake to the new marketing emails we all got, would could have clicked away into our new base packages. 

Just my two cents...I know the folks as Logos know what they are doing, and do not need another critic criticizing their efforts to equip us for Bible study. 

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College
Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra, Mid 2015 iMac, 2.5GHz i7, 32 gbRAM, 1tbSSD

Posts 6479
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 8:56 AM

Maybe they want us to learn what is available before pulling out credit cards. I know some people would prefer to just browse and learn that way.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 196
Stephen Terlizzi | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:00 AM

I think they probably wanted the website to go live when the live broadcast started, but probably are having issues. It makes no sense not to have all the information ready to make a buying decision, particularly since Sales is ready to take orders over the phone.

Posts 4870
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:03 AM

Lynden Williams:
Maybe they want us to learn what is available before pulling out credit cards. I know some people would prefer to just browse and learn that way.

I'm not learning anything from the live broadcast, its a bit disappointing,  would be much better to just have access to the packages and hopefully a "new to me" tool on the new base packages.

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:03 AM

Myke Harbuck:
Maybe it's just me....but it seems like REALLY REALLY bad timing to have the website down during a major upgrade like this

The website is not down during a major upgrade, it's down because of a major upgrade. Last time, the website couldn't cope with demand and was mostly unreachable for two to three days. If they avoid that this year, a few hours wait will be well worth it.

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:04 AM

Disciple of Christ (doc):
I'm not learning anything from the live broadcast, its a bit disappointing,  would be much better to just have access to the packages and hopefully a "new to me" tool on the new base packages.

It's coming... we're just waiting for FL to be confident the new L7 pages are working correctly and the servers will stand up to the demand.

Posts 3647
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:04 AM

When they say Logos 7 IS here, they are using the futuristic present... Wink

Or perhaps they watched the Olympics races and thought false starts were cool Hmm

Or perhaps they want LN users to always have first access Super Angry

Or perhaps they really want you to watch their video Storm

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:05 AM

When Logos 6 was released the websites had a torid time and kept crashing for days, you would hope that they have learned their lesson and are making it more robust brefore going live. 

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:05 AM

Francis:
When they say Logos 7 IS here, they are using the futuristic present...

Logos Now users have been using L7 for several hours. You can buy Logos 7 right now on the phone. It's just website sales that we're waiting for.

Posts 165
Wayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:06 AM

I know the website was down during the night USA time. Logos 7 downloaded for me at 10pm Pacific time. I could see it was Logos 7 and checked the website and it was already down trying to upgrade for the changes.

Posts 1690
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:06 AM

Our team has been preparing for the site update for months, but the way our system is structured there's still a significant amount of of manual work that has to be done to switch so many pages / routes at once. (Yes, we'd love to have a system that lets us keep two sites in parallel, and plan to, but we don't yet. While this is now a common feature on some platforms, our platform has been built over many years internally with support for a lot of unique things, like PrePub, Community Pricing, Dynamic Pricing, etc. It's not something we can swap out for an off-the-shelf e-commerce site.)

The team has been here all night working on the switch, and it should be live soon. (FWIW, this was the plan -- to take it down last night and then put it up this morning.)

Posts 999
Mike Pettit | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:08 AM

The website is live ...

Posts 957
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:08 AM

Site is live!

Posts 4870
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:09 AM

Francis:
Or perhaps they want LN users to always have first access Super Angry

Logos Now subscribers have Logos Access now...

Francis:
Or perhaps they really want you to watch their video Storm

Live broadcast is just one of those late night tv infomercials... 

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:09 AM

https://www.logos.com/get-7 to see the base packages.

Posts 1049
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 9:14 AM

Bob Pritchett:

Our team has been preparing for the site update for months, but the way our system is structured there's still a significant amount of of manual work that has to be done to switch so many pages / routes at once. (Yes, we'd love to have a system that lets us keep two sites in parallel, and plan to, but we don't yet. While this is now a common feature on some platforms, our platform has been built over many years internally with support for a lot of unique things, like PrePub, Community Pricing, Dynamic Pricing, etc. It's not something we can swap out for an off-the-shelf e-commerce site.)

The team has been here all night working on the switch, and it should be live soon. (FWIW, this was the plan -- to take it down last night and then put it up this morning.)

Bob,

I just wanted to say thanks! You are always so gracious in these forums and so forthcoming with information, even when it's admitting that things didn't go as planned. Thanks for being present in these forums and for providing accurate, clear, and valuable information to us. 

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College
Mac OS 10.13.6 High Sierra, Mid 2015 iMac, 2.5GHz i7, 32 gbRAM, 1tbSSD

Posts 10482
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 10:50 AM

Mark Barnes:

https://www.logos.com/get-7 to see the base packages.

That link only connects to an infomercial. Quite frustrating.

Posts 1886
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 10:58 AM

Jack Caviness:
That link only connects to an infomercial. Quite frustrating.

Everything is redirecting to an "off-site" host. I was in the middle of looking at a non-L7 product and can't get back to it now. I suspect they'll be "managing" the site's availability with different techniques until the onslaught settles down.

Donnie

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS