Website is Up

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 26 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 492
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 10:35 AM

Disciple of Christ (doc):
it's about the company's ability to offer a reliable cloud based application solution

Browsing other comments I can see how the concern translates over to a lack of confidence regarding the back-end of their server capabilities.  I've not made the jump to Now and have never had an issue regarding Logos and their Cloud because everything is simply on my computer, ready to use locally.  

Either way, it would have been interesting to be a fly on the wall in the prep meetings with the web guys anticipating this release.  Is it an overwhelming surge of activity, were the preparations simply not robust enough, or was it a strange hiccup that created a domino effect that unleaded the 404 monster?

Having planned and run large events, I know the backstage story is always different from the one we see on the other side of the stage, so all this talk has got me curious.

Either way, I really want to see those Library Comparisons.  The downtime does give me a chance to formulate a plan to convince my wife on why I need a new library...

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 6479
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 10:39 AM

Richard Villanueva:
 The downtime does give me a chance to formulate a plan to convince my wife on why I need a new library...

Share you idea with some of us please. It will just be between us guys. Big Smile

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 492
Richard Villanueva | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 11:38 AM

Lynden Williams:
Share you idea with some of us please.

Lol, so far my list comprises of lots of back rubs, folding laundry and cleaning dishes, while trying to make quoting systematic theology sound as romantic as possible.

MBPro'12 / i5 / 8GB // 3.0 Scholars (Purple) / L6 & L7 Platinum, M&E Platinum, Anglican Bronze, P&C Silver / L8 Platinum, Academic Pro

Posts 1690
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 12:01 PM

Disciple of Christ (doc):
Agreed they have learnt nothing from Logos 6 launch experience and the numerous website failures. Who are they kidding when they think they can offer their software reliably as a cloud based solution?

As I said on the other thread, the problem is that launches create 'once every two year' massive loads. It's prudent, and not too hard, to build a web site that's ready for a 2x, 3x, or even 10x load surge. It's hard to build a complex site that's always ready for a 40x-100x load increase -- like you get when you announce a release after two years. You can do it, but it costs a fortune in redundant hardware that isn't used the other days of the year.

This is a great argument for SaaS products. When you are upgrading constantly, and incrementally improving the product for a subscriber base, you don't get 100x load increases on a single day. We've been running Proclaim as a SaaS product for years, and offering many cloud-based services, including syncing documents since 2009. The whole system is very stable and has little downtime. We do get spikes -- Sunday morning always has much higher traffic on Proclaim's services and the mobile Bible app services -- but nothing that's 100x times the weekday load.

Big launches are fun (and tiring, and scary, and frustrating), but they are so far out of scale that they involve many surprises.

If you want to see more stability in your experience with Faithlife, subscribe to Logos Now and clamor for more cloud-based subscription products and fewer 'big launch day' releases.

Big Smile

Posts 6479
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 12:06 PM

Bob Pritchett:
If you want to see more stability in your experience with Faithlife, subscribe to Logos Now and clamor for more cloud-based subscription products and fewer 'big launch day' releases

If you can keep the price at around what it is now (small increments to offset inflation) this would be wonderful. How would you deal with Base packages? Most of your users like the huge discounts that are offered on Base packages with each launch.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 26138
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 12:44 PM

Bob Pritchett:
If you want to see more stability in your experience with Faithlife, subscribe to Logos Now and clamor for more cloud-based subscription products and fewer 'big launch day' releases.

Ah, but this time there were some really great surprises in the packages ... well worth the grief.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1415
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 22 2016 6:22 PM

MJ. Smith:

Bob Pritchett:

Ah, but this time there were some really great surprises in the packages ... well worth the grief.

Yes After seeing base packages, my grief is gone. Such a big candy store Confused

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Page 2 of 2 (27 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS