Logos 7: What have you bought, and why...?

Page 3 of 5 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 82 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 634
Frank Sauer | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 5:42 AM

Thank you for the input Mark. Still wonder about some of it, like the full feature set showing up in the cart when I'm a Now subscriber. Yet with the overload on the system maybe a glitch or two is exoected or clicking on a link that added it... 

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 5:47 AM

Mark Barnes:
Buy the packages in separate transactions, starting with the one with the biggest discount (Lutheran Silver in this case).

Mark, have you ever figured out how much a person loses out (if one does) by buying a lower level package within the same tradition?  For a person who may want the higher, but thinks he/she only has enough for the lower at this point, but in a month or two may buy the higher?  I can imagine, depending on how much one would "lose out" by that method, they may decide to spring for the more expensive one after all, depending on the scenario.  Or would it be the exact same total if one bought, say, Gold, then Platinum later or if one just bought Platinum from the start.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 17
Rick Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 6:01 AM

I purchased the Logos 7 Full-Feature Set for now since I already had L6 Gold.  Once I pay that off, I will look at other packages.

Posts 979
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 6:13 AM

I previously owned the L6 Extended-Crossgrade (and L4 Scholars Library before that!).

This time, I first took out a Logos Now subscription to qualify for further base package discounts, and then purchased Lutheran Bronze (which was $141 for me) mainly because it included Early Church Fathers which would have cost $229 alone.

Posts 3007
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 6:49 AM

Mark Barnes:

SineNomine:
I haven't seen it, but if anyone does, I'd appreciate it if that person would paste the exact text into this thread.

It's easy to reproduce. Just add a library into your cart, then add a higher library from the same stream, then view your cart.

I happened to do that already without getting that message.

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 6:56 AM

Friedrich:
Mark, have you ever figured out how much a person loses out (if one does) by buying a lower level package within the same tradition?

After the dynamic pricing changes several months ago, you can no longer work it out exactly. But don't assume you'll be worse off. It's possible that it would be cheaper to buy in stages if you get a better percentage discount on the smaller package. For example, imagine this scenario that with dynamic pricing the value of the following packages to you was:

• Portfolio: $30,000
  • Collectors: $50,000

If the effective discount on Portfolio was 91% compared to 89% on collectors, then you'd pay $2,700 for Portfolio or $5,500 for Collectors. But once you'd bought Portfolio, the price of Collectors would reduce to $20,000 minus 89% = $2,200, bringing the total price you'd pay to $4,900 compared to $5,500.

I presume this is one of the reasons why Faithlife tweaked their dynamic pricing, and it's possible that they now manually adjust for these discrepancies.

But generally speaking, if you follow the "higher discount first" rule, you're unlikely to be worse off.

Friedrich:
 I can imagine, depending on how much one would "lose out" by that method, they may decide to spring for the more expensive one after all, depending on the scenario.  Or would it be the exact same total if one bought, say, Gold, then Platinum later or if one just bought Platinum from the start.

Because the discount tends to be slightly lower on more expensive packages (after Diamond, anyway), the reverse is actually true. You're likely to be better off buying in stages. But you have to do the maths yourself to make sure.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 7:51 AM

Thanks, Mark, that was helpful.  That's generally the approach I have been taking.  Interestingly, after I logged out and checked base package discounts, the Bronze were generally the cheaper ones--about 29% often.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 177
Andrew Zoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 7:52 AM

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Hang in there. We're working hard to get the comparison chart up and operational for everyone. We're really sorry for the delay. The traffic levels are pushing our current servers to the limits, and we're doing everything we can to address it as soon as possible.

I won't complain. I'm pleased you guys are getting so much business today and yesterday. I can be patient. I have a stake in seeing you succeed to keep these awesome, week-transforming tools coming. Thanks for all you guys do!

💻MacBook Pro (15-inch 2018) | 2.9 GHz i9 6 core | 32GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB Graphics | 1TB SSD💻
💾MacOS Catalina 10.15 Beta (19A4871)💾
🎁Logos 7 Portfolio🎁
⌨Logos 7 Extended Feature Set⌨
🌐Logos Now🌐

Posts 1384
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 8:59 AM

Veli Voipio:
and interlinear Vulgate

After some more checking, I saw that this resource is "temporary", thus I also bought the FFS

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 389
James C. | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 9:00 AM

I bought these in stages.

Starter Methodist w/starter features set 20.27

Verbum Starter features 9.50

Methodist Bronze 20.30

Total 50.07

This was the cheapest way for me to get my toes wet without being able to see the compare packages. I did compare all the packages as best I could and chose the cheapest package. I actually saved about $2 buying the Methodist Starter with the starter feature set and then buying the Methodist Bronze without the feature set.

Posts 56
Joel Ingram | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 9:47 AM

I had to compare all the variants but ended up finding SDA Plat was best for me. Got ICC and a few others I had on my to get list so made the price ($730 for me) feel cheaper. This also came with the Full Feature Set for L7. I so like new version better so far. Haven't tried the Sermon Editor but will...

Posts 443
Bill Cook | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 11:11 AM

Those who bought in stages, how? Was it via the website or a phone call to FaithLife? I can't view any comparisons on the site and only seldom can see a package which seems to always default to Gold and I can't seem to get it off of Gold...

Posts 21719
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 11:24 AM

Bill Cook:
only seldom can see a package which seems to always default to Gold and I can't seem to get it off of Gold...

https://www.logos.com/basepackages has links to all the packages

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 10:31 PM

I updated my L6 Portfolio to L7 Portfolio. I will update to Collectors in a few months.

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 1083
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 10:47 PM

I did end up with Methodist Bronze. Mostly I gained a few different commentaries that diversify my collection quite a bit, also most of John Wesley's works.

L6 did good by me, so really the only thing I was looking for this time was the Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary. The packages containing that (Gold & higher) were beyond my reach, but after adding Methodist Bronze to my cart, the screen came up with that as an add-on with $70 off if purchased at the the same time as a library. So, I got the resource I really wanted plus a decent small library for the end price I wanted of under $300.

I mention this as I don't recall the add-on screen mentioned in this thread. To see it, just stick a package in your cart and you'll be presented with your options.

Logos Now Subscriber -- 22/2/2018

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 12:40 AM

Otto, how do you like portfolio? I was thinking of getting it too..

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 406
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 9:53 AM

I'm having a hard time with these new L7 packages. Given my current library, the packages are very heavy on the public domain works without many modern commentaries or reference works that I'd find useful. Personally I'm likely going for just a few lower level denominational packages that have a few bargains from my Wish List. I'm going to resist buying simply based on package titles since the value just isn't there for me. 

Posts 9050
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 10:01 AM

Erik:
I'm having a hard time with these new L7 packages. Given my current library, the packages are very heavy on the public domain works without many modern commentaries or reference works that I'd find useful.

My thinking, too. I am not likely to buy anything very large, and maybe nothing at all.

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 927
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 10:01 AM

Erik:

I'm having a hard time with these new L7 packages. Given my current library, the packages are very heavy on the public domain works without many modern commentaries or reference works that I'd find useful. Personally I'm likely going for just a few lower level denominational packages that have a few bargains from my Wish List. I'm going to resist buying simply based on package titles since the value just isn't there for me. 

I agree, having accumulated a lot over the years. I'm looking at buying L7 Gold because it includes three resources I would like to have: Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary, The New Daily Study Bible, and The Bible Speaks Today NT commentaries.

I'm wavering on whether to purchase the Full Feature Sets or join Logos Now. I'm leaning toward the former.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 10:08 AM

Erik:
Given my current library, the packages are very heavy on the public domain works without many modern commentaries or reference works that I'd find useful.

I felt the same about several packages — I'd had all the real goodies previously. I'm also not interested in the Classics of Western Spirituality series that lots of people have got excited about. Nonetheless, I still found I spend twice as much on L7 libraries as I initially did on L6 base packages (although I much later purchased several other L6 base packages).

Page 3 of 5 (83 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS