No Corresponding Words filter in the Vulgate book of Psalms

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 7
Tom Bastress | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 23 2016 4:05 PM

So, I open my ESV, add multiple resources (NA28, LHB, Logos LXX, and VGClem), and select "corresponding words same lemma" under Visual Filters.

When I'm in the New Testament, things look good.

When I move to the book of Psalms, the corresponding words filter stops working for the Vulgate, but works for the ESV, JHB, and Logos LXX.

If I click on a word in the Vulgate when in Psalms, it only works with the Logos LXX. No corresponding word filter shows in the ESV or LHB.

If I click on a word in the Logos LXX, the corresponding word filter shows up in all the resources (including the Vulgate).

Something seems wonky here.

Perhaps, related to this thread? https://community.logos.com/forums/t/129436.aspx

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 4:14 PM

Tom Bastress:
When I move to the book of Psalms, the corresponding words filter stops working for the Vulgate, but works for the ESV, JHB, and Logos LXX.

I would expect this. In the Psalms, the ESV is translated from the Hebrew text, whilst the Vulgate is translated from the LXX. Therefore there are not corresponding words directly from the ESV to the Vulgate.

Tom Bastress:
If I click on a word in the Vulgate when in Psalms, it only works with the Logos LXX. No corresponding word filter shows in the ESV or LHB.

Again, I would expect this, for the same reasons.

Tom Bastress:
If I click on a word in the Logos LXX, the corresponding word filter shows up in all the resources (including the Vulgate).

This is because the Logos LXX has Greek text aligned to Hebrew text. Therefore, uniquely, it can trigger corresponding words in both Hebrew (e.g. ESV, LHB) and Greek texts (e.g. Vulgate).

Posts 7
Tom Bastress | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 4:21 PM

Mark, is this issue / limitation intuitive though to most users?

I guess the argument could be made that "most users" won't be comparing the Latin, Greek, Hebrew, and English.

Posts 13312
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 4:37 PM

Tom Bastress:
Mark, is this issue / limitation intuitive though to most users?

It's not intuitive because most users may not realise that the Psalms were translated from the LXX, rather than the Hebrew text. But that's Jerome's fault...

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 23 2016 4:42 PM

Mark Barnes:
This is because the Logos LXX has Greek text aligned to Hebrew text. Therefore, uniquely, it can trigger corresponding words in both Hebrew (e.g. ESV, LHB) and Greek texts (e.g. Vulgate).

Logos LXX OR LXX Swete can be used for Greek source of corresponding words in Latin, English, Hebrew, German, Spanish

Thankful for Rick Brannan's reply => https://community.logos.com/forums/p/129436/841026.aspx#841026

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS