Is it indexing, or not?

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Aug 24 2016 4:27 AM

Note the attached screen - I did a search everything, and when I opened the section to look at my notes, see how it says it is still indexing, yet there is not blue circle designating that an index is going on. I can also say nothing has downloaded etc. for a day. 

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 4:28 AM

I just did another search, and the yellow bar was not there, but when I selected a Note result to examine, the yellow bar appeared.

Posts 6481
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 4:36 AM

Use Task Manager and see if the indexer is running in the process Tab.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 4:45 AM

Thanks Lynden, it is not running. This only happens in the "Your Documents" section of a Search Everything, for example not in the "Your Books" section.

Posts 2067
LogosEmployee

The blue circle only indicates when resources are being indexed. This is potentially significant because this kind of indexing is handled by running a separate program from the main Logos application.

The yellow message in "Your Documents" search results indicates that your documents are being indexed. This happens a few minutes after you make any changes to any of your documents. This happens within the Logos application rather than in a separate program.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 9:13 AM

Thanks Andrew, my only question would be that as far as I know I did not change anything in my documents? I was just looking..

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 9:16 AM

Yes I can confirm that - I open Verbum fresh, open search, do a search everything for something like "Ninevah", results come back, when I click on the title of a result THEN the yellow bar comes up - it is indexing AFTER a search comes back??

Posts 2067
LogosEmployee

There is a delay of a few minutes before indexing starts. If the last time you edited a document, you exited the application before document indexing completed, then the next time you start the application, it will restart indexing a little bit after the application starts up.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 10:07 AM

OK, here is how it is working, and this does not sound right to me, something else is going on:

1. Bring up Verbum

2. Do a random search of everything, just a one word search to make it easy. Make it a common word that will be in a lot of your notes

3. Click on one of the notes - click on the blue-linked reslt in the result returned, to open the note - the yellow bar comes up.

4. Wait for the yellow bar to disappear.

5. Start over again by typing in a new search word.

You can pick any and all Note documents - the yellow bar comes up EVERY TIME I search, no matter what note document I have pulled up. Some of these I have not touched in a year!

Posts 2067
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 10:18 AM

Thanks for the detailed steps. I can recreate this problem. I'll create a case to get this looked at. It appears that some documents types get incorrectly marked as changed just by opening them.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 11:28 AM

Awesome, thanks Andrew!

Don

Posts 2067
LogosEmployee
Andrew Batishko (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 11:47 AM

After you pick one document and allow the yellow bar to disappear, if you pick the same document again, does the yellow bar come up again? Or does this only seem to happen once per document?

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 12:41 PM

It does not appear to. However, if within the same search results I click on another document's result, wait for its yellow bar to go away, then go back to the first document/result and click again, the yellow bar comes up again for that one - without re-running the search. Did I explain that ok?

Posts 2067
LogosEmployee

Yup. Here's what's happening. Notes can be attached to a particular range of text in a resource. When the resource is updated, the saved text range might also need to be updated to reflect changes to the resource. This updating process happens when the notes document is opened, and will result in changes to the document, requiring that the documents be reindexed.

If you wanted to get the pain over with all at once, you might be able to get away with multi-selecting a number of your notes documents in the documents menu, then right click and open them all at once.

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 3:48 PM

Hmm. Thanks for the reply Andrew, but I have to admit I am still a little confused:

1. Is this a new thing? I don't remember ever seeing it (although I search less than I used to since results aren't highlighted)

2. Many of my Notes are not attached to a resource - they are where I keep topical things from many resources. So why do they reindex if not attached to a resource that was updated?

3. Why do they reindex multiple times when no resource was touched?

thanks Andrew!

Posts 2067
LogosEmployee

I don't know the exact point when the behavior was introduced, but it's been a least a few version. Likewise for the warning message when documents are being indexed.

If any single note in a particular notes document is attached to a text range in a resource (highlighting, or selecting text and adding a note to that text as opposed to the reference), then that document could update when it is opened.

It will only happen after a resource is updated, and won't always happen after every resource update.

I had thought you said that each note document was only causing a reindex once. Have you seen situations where this is not true?

Posts 2829
Don Awalt | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 24 2016 5:02 PM

I am pretty sure I saw it happen, but I just tried to duplicate it with one I knew indexed before, and it did not come up. So it may be working as you said!

Thanks for the time explaining all this Andrew, it was confusing but I can't see anything that's a real problem - I appreciate you taking the time to explain it! I won't bug you about this any more :-) 

Posts 2067
LogosEmployee

:) Glad I could help clarify some things.

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS