Bob: From King To Customer - The end of Faithlife as we knew it?

Page 5 of 5 (88 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
This post has 87 Replies | 15 Followers

Posts 177
Andrew Zoll | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 2:06 PM

Mark Barnes:

Andrew Zoll:
How did you do that? I can't seem to find them! I'd love to give them a watch. I think I've got a good grasp on Logos 7, but Morris always seems to think of an application for many features that I don't think of.

https://ref.ly/logosres/quickstartl7;art=overview 

Oh, I see. But that doesn't really cover any of the new features, does it? Just the interface basically, right?

💻MacBook Pro (15-inch 2018) | 2.9 GHz i9 6 core | 32GB RAM | Radeon Pro Vega 20 4 GB Graphics | 1TB SSD💻
💾MacOS Catalina 10.15 Beta (19A4871)💾
🎁Logos 7 Portfolio🎁
⌨Logos 7 Extended Feature Set⌨
🌐Logos Now🌐

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 4:19 PM

Shannon Martin:

Bruce Roth:

My .03 cents.  I am a causal user of the software with a lot of investment.  Neither a pastor or scholar, just a layperson that teaches a lot. 

There is a classic problem with software and usability that hasn't gone away especially as software grows in feature/functionality. 

My classic example is Quicken Software. My initial exposure to them was back in the DOS days and you had to ability to have a screen open to you that looked exactly like your paper checkbook with a check register on top and a blank check on the bottom.  Simply fill in the blanks like you do writing a check.  No brainier for most folks.  Over time this has morphed into a complex product but you can still use it like a check register.

Probably most folks in a church just want something simple that resembles their paper Bible.  Let me get to the passage referenced quickly and let me discover insights about the passage.  Too much feature bloat will drive folks away.  Look at your TV remote and see how much you enjoy that, especially if you have other devices tied to it.

I agree that simpler is often better when it comes to software.

However, is it possible that someone looking for that level of simplicity would be better served by a different software?

To keep the Quicken analogy I would say Logos is closer to QuickBooks or even MS Great Plains. More feature rich software.

Logo's advertisement says they are THE best Bible  study software, period. They also say that it's for you whether you are a lay person and want to use it for devotions or a pastor who wants to use it for sermon prep.  So...Logos, under your example, is for the "biblical elite." That, in my opinion, would be very sad.

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 809
Cynthia in Florida | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 4:38 PM

Andrew Zoll:

Mark Barnes:

Andrew Zoll:
How did you do that? I can't seem to find them! I'd love to give them a watch. I think I've got a good grasp on Logos 7, but Morris always seems to think of an application for many features that I don't think of.

https://ref.ly/logosres/quickstartl7;art=overview 

Oh, I see. But that doesn't really cover any of the new features, does it? Just the interface basically, right?

much of it is basic but it does have sections of L7's features.

Cynthia

Romans 8:28-38

Posts 8978
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 26 2016 6:04 PM

Wow, I am just reading this thread now for the first time. This is a very busy time for me and it is amazing what can develop in just a few days. It took quite some time to read this thread but I commend everyone for this excellent discussion.

What a great community where we can have discussions with Logos users of many varieties and Faithlife employees including the CEO. I think that is what makes Faithlife great and why I consider it a great privilege to serve as a MVP as time allows.

Let's all continue to offer constructive feedback to continue to make Faithlife products the best Bible software in the world.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 9
Benjamin Handelman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 29 2016 11:12 PM

Jeffrey Visser:

It seems odd that this is being blamed on the publishers when other providers such as Google and Amazon can sell the same electronic books for 30%-70% less on a consistent basis. In one case, I bought a set of books on amazon for less than 1/6th the cost of Logos.

As others pointed out, a book in Logos/Verbum is much more than just a regular ebook like what you get on your Kindle.  Things are indexed, parsed, and linked to each other.  Everything from having verses use your preferred Bible translation to topics being linked so several books on the same passage or theme come up in a search.  These extra features require extra work, and therefore require extra costs to pay for the time to develop and QA.  These extra features are also the reason we buy Logos.

If I'm studying Job, or the Crucifixion, or marriage, I want all my resources on those topics to show up and link together along with the relevant passages in the Bible.

Posts 928
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 8:25 AM

Bruce Dunning:

Wow, I am just reading this thread now for the first time. This is a very busy time for me and it is amazing what can develop in just a few days. It took quite some time to read this thread but I commend everyone for this excellent discussion.

What a great community where we can have discussions with Logos users of many varieties and Faithlife employees including the CEO. I think that is what makes Faithlife great and why I consider it a great privilege to serve as a MVP as time allows.

Let's all continue to offer constructive feedback to continue to make Faithlife products the best Bible software in the world.

This thread, among others, helped by to go "all in" with Logos by joining Logos Now. I have even more confidence in Faithlife than before the launch of Logos 7. The frustrations that I've experienced in the past were mostly due to my own failure to take the time to study Logos and understand it. Anything that does a lot requires diligence in learning something of its complexities in order to get beyond the basics.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 354
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 9:41 AM

It's good to hear (and understand) this. 
Having people keep things accountable: Awesome
I want to focus in on something dummy me has missed, and you bring forward. So true:
With a customer base as diverse as this one, it's hard to know (especially online) whether forum users want empathy, answers, or suggested workarounds.
and
So over the last few days there have been many messages from MVPs to Faithlife reps — some public, some private — encouraging staff where they have done well, but also pointing out these errors and problems, and urging them to be fixed. If you think we show a lack of empathy to customers, you should see how little empathy we sometimes show to staff ;-).

Sadly, the last few days there have been many messages from US as well. 
You have seen mine. 

Fortunately, I have seen things from the other side. My concerns will always be the same; but, perhaps I can see and will see the worse side of it: Logos' side. As I have said many times, I do not envy Bob. 

Mark Barnes:

Peter Lever:
Look at the forums now. Lot of customers including myself were not clear from the product pages that told that a purchase included the feature set, when actually it did not, and purchased the wrong/incomplete product.

Like most MVPs, I completely agree with you that the product pages were confusing. I've said so publicly, and called on Faithlife to fix the problem. They apologised yesterday in response to those complaints, and today the page is much improved.

I apologise if we can come across as not being empathetic. With a customer base as diverse as this one, it's hard to know (especially online) whether forum users want empathy, answers, or suggested workarounds. But I think it's worth you knowing that we MVPs try and hold Faithlife to account on your behalf, as well as supporting Faithlife in these forums. So over the last few days there have been many messages from MVPs to Faithlife reps — some public, some private — encouraging staff where they have done well, but also pointing out these errors and problems, and urging them to be fixed. If you think we show a lack of empathy to customers, you should see how little empathy we sometimes show to staff ;-).

Posts 354
Batman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 30 2016 9:43 AM

As you know,me too. So, I totally agree. 

Bill Moore:

This thread, among others, helped by to go "all in" with Logos by joining Logos Now. I have even more confidence in Faithlife than before the launch of Logos 7. The frustrations that I've experienced in the past were mostly due to my own failure to take the time to study Logos and understand it. Anything that does a lot requires diligence in learning something of its complexities in order to get beyond the basics.

Page 5 of 5 (88 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS