Logos 7 Early Feedback

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3658
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 25 2016 12:48 AM

New features/datasets

I cannot but marvel at what generations of Christians in centuries past would have thought if they had access to all the tools we now have, not to mention those in close countries or with very limited resources today. I love and commend FL for producing an ever increasing range of tools that allow users to mine the Scriptures and related resources. The concordance is a great tool as are most of the interactives. The idea that the texts are permeated by tagging in relation to helpful datasets speaks of a wealth that is getting more and more incredible. Frankly, this is very exciting. This is the kind of stuff that only a few years back sounded like a dream. Keep these coming and thanks for thinking that way!

Logos Now

It has been a while since LN has been out and truly it is a relatively inexpensive way for users to have access to all the features of Logos 7 plus perks and early access to developing features. For all that, I am still not a subscriber and feel that the subscription model simply cannot fully shake away its main liability: if one uses as an alternative to ownership, one will be left with thin air on the day membership is discontinued. There are many scenarios that could make this disastrous: (1) someone who wants to migrate to another software and cannot resell their investment in Logos; (2) someone who retires and cannot give their library to someone else; (3) someone who simply wants to stop subscription; (4) the event, undesired but let's face it always in the domain of the possible, that someday FL shuts down. (5) Licenses that expire or are ended with third party can lead to permanent loss. This is perhaps truer with regard to resources, but it still highlights the liability of subscription access. 

This is not so much criticism of LN as perhaps an invitation to think about ways that these problems could be helped. Some form of credit for a longer period of subscription toward permanent ownership could help. 

Release process

Well, that was bumpy, once again. The website down and not ready was anticlimatic. At least, it has improved dramatically over the next few days. Recovery was faster and that is an improvement, but better yet would be not to have to recover. Opportunity for improvement here as well as other typical excuses as for instance, we did not improve the GUI because we wanted to put the effort somewhere else. This is not a big deal, in my view, but it would be great if FL got to the point where it does not have to make excuses every time there is a release. 

Overall, upgrading has been (for me so far) a much better experience than when Logos 6 came out and I am really happy with the tools FL has and is developing. 

Posts 1504
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 1:13 AM

Francis:

This is not so much criticism of LN as perhaps an invitation to think about ways that these problems could be helped. Some form of credit for a longer period of subscription toward permanent ownership could help. 

While it's not exactly what you're suggesting here, oftentimes subscribing to Now already makes permanent ownership significantly cheaper.

Since Now subscribers get a 10% + 5% extra discount on the library purchase, and then a 25% discount on the feature set purchase, when purchasing a medium or large size library it is often significantly cheaper, to subscribe to Now first for 1 year, then purchase the Library and the feature set. In some scenarios this can be hundreds of dollars cheaper than straight out purchasing the library and feature set.

Unfortunately, the way the website is setup, this solution is not obvious by any means.

Posts 3658
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 1:48 AM

Fr Devin Roza:
In some scenarios this can be hundreds of dollars cheaper than straight out purchasing the library and feature set.

I don't know how common these scenarios would be. For me to upgrade from L6 Gold to L7 Platinum (not interested), I'd save only $110 with LN, that is, a gain of about $20. With Diamond, I'd save round $240 with LN, which would work out to a a $150 gain. It seems to me that in order to save "hundreds of dollars" one must be in a scenario in which their initial cost would be in the thousands, either someone who buys Portfolio or who goes straight from nothing at all to something like Gold or better. 

Posts 1504
Forum MVP
Fr Devin Roza | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 3:56 AM

Francis:

I don't know how common these scenarios would be. For me to upgrade from L6 Gold to L7 Platinum (not interested), I'd save only $110 with LN, that is, a gain of about $20. With Diamond, I'd save round $240 with LN, which would work out to a a $150 gain. It seems to me that in order to save "hundreds of dollars" one must be in a scenario in which their initial cost would be in the thousands, either someone who buys Portfolio or who goes straight from nothing at all to something like Gold or better. 

Right. I was thinking of that scenario, or someone who wants to buy Collectors, etc. 

But as you mention, there are also a good number of more common scenarios where it works out that Now is basically "free" for a year if you buy it before buying the feature pack and/or Library.

Posts 3024
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 6:23 AM

Fr Devin Roza:
But as you mention, there are also a good number of more common scenarios where it works out that Now is basically "free" for a year if you buy it before buying the feature pack and/or Library.

Discounts on certain products from the Logos Now Members Page can also help recoup the cost of Now.

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS