Print books are cheaper

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 4
Matt Adams | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Aug 25 2016 4:43 PM

I've been a Logos user for about twenty years. There are some truly awesome features in the software, and I own about 5,000 volumes in my logos library. I just finished paying off my Logos 6, and now Logos 7 offers a new payment plan. Even if I don't add any books, Logos 7 will cost me $180? I am beginning to think I made a huge mistake when I gave away all my print books for Logos. Print books don't cost hundreds to upgrade each year!

Posts 906
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 4:47 PM

You keep your books no matter what and keep your existing features no matter what. In 6 months, you will get the new engine for free and unlike your physical books, you will never lose or damage them. 

Posts 6552
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 4:51 PM

Justin Gatlin:

You keep your books no matter what and keep your existing features no matter what. In 6 months, you will get the new engine for free and unlike your physical books, you will never lose or damage them. 

Yep! He's right! I don't have to hurt my back carrying books if I ever move again.

DAL

Posts 4
Matt Adams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 4:59 PM

Logos rep just told me it would cost me $180 to upgrade to the new engine. Where does it say I can get it free in six months?

Posts 26985
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 5:08 PM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):
You are in luck! You don't need to wait. If you are running 6.14, then you are getting the exact same experience you would get if you were running 7.0 today without making any purchase. The only difference would be the version number that gets displayed in the application.

Phil Gons (Faithlife):

Jason, the free Logos 7 engine will be available in February. We're asking customers who get access to it through a Logos 7 purchase not to share that link with others.

We do this for a few reasons:

1. 6.14, which is available to everyone as of Monday, and 7.0 are essentially the same app, with just a different version name and splash screen. The code is otherwise virtually identical. So downloading 7.0 wouldn't change anything meaningful for you.
  2. The Logos 7 features that will eventually be free are restricted temporarily by licenses. Once we make the 7 engine available to everyone, we'll remove those license restrictions. Until then we don't want people to get confused by thinking they have 7.0 (and getting disappointed that it's virtually identical to 6.14). It's common for people not to understand the differences between the free software update, the feature set upgrade, and the library upgrade. By deferring the free software update by a few months, it allows us to make sure more people understand these important differences.
  3. The release of a new version creates a lot of demand on our teams, and limiting access to the new version of the app to those who purchase it allows us to reduce the demand on our customer service and technical support teams and provide better service.

Both are Faithlife employees

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 142
James Macleod | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 5:13 PM

Matt, The latest 6.0 version is basically the same engine as version 7, so you already have it. However, Logos always offers a free crossgrade a few months after the new version is released. Why wouldn't you expect to pay for the new features in 7? Someone, who has a family to feed, had to do the work to create them. Why have your books suddenly become no good because 7 was released? 

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 5:15 PM

Matt Adams:

I've been a Logos user for about twenty years. There are some truly awesome features in the software, and I own about 5,000 volumes in my logos library. I just finished paying off my Logos 6, and now Logos 7 offers a new payment plan. Even if I don't add any books, Logos 7 will cost me $180? I am beginning to think I made a huge mistake when I gave away all my print books for Logos. Print books don't cost hundreds to upgrade each year!

Matt, I did make a huge mistake investing so heavily in Logos. I recently should my entire library and purchased a smaller Bible Software program for language stuff and with the money I received began purchasing commentaries again. I now have everything I need. The upgrade from 5 to 6 sent me over the edge. I became sick of the marketing and constant upgrades which, when all is said and done, do very little to help me prepare sermons or study the bible each week. I also rediscovered just how much I love actual books. That being said, I know there are loads of people who love Logos, good on them...but don't believe the hype. :) 

Posts 1577
Kenute P. Curry | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 5:33 PM

I stated a little while back in a thread Mark Stevens that we need both print books and ebooks; and I truly believe that.

But like you, I love print books. I love to hold the book, and the feel of it, and the smell of it. I also love to see my bookshelf filled with print books.

But in this day and age that we are living in, we also need ebooks as well.

But I will read a print book any day before i read an ebook.

And yes, some print books are much more cheaper than they are here on LOGOS. I bought the HARDBACK COPIES of the entire MacArthur New Testament Commentary for $315.00; the price here on LOGOS is absurd and ridiculous. I also bought the HARDBACK COPIES of The Expositor's Bible Commentary (Revised Edition) for a much lower price than it is here on LOGOS. 

And I could go on and on......

Posts 1022
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 5:41 PM

The usability is a lot better in an electronic version though

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 778
JRS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 6:16 PM

Deleted - just to be sure that my sarcasm is not interpreted as having been aimed at anyone in particular.  

(it's been a long day chasing down some Android problems and I feel about as sharp as a marble ... best to delete and then head for the barn)

How blessed is the one whom Thou dost choose, and bring near to Thee(Psa 65:4a)

Posts 27798
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 6:21 PM

Matt Adams:
Logos rep just told me it would cost me $180 to upgrade to the new engine. Where does it say I can get it free in six months?

The engine is always free... but when they release a major new version, they make you wait. The FL economic system (free software, free resource updates) depends upon people continuing to make purchases. FL is trying to level out the cash flow with Logos Now, but the sale of new base packages is still a very significant time for the company. 

FWIW - I would recommend most users move to "Logos Now" for features. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 6:27 PM

Matt Adams:

Just to clarify this point.  The $180 is not a fee to continue using your books.  That is likely your upgrade price for some of the new features such as the sermon editor, and additional tools of that sort.  It is a simply decision: if the additional features are worth $180 to you, then upgrade.  If they are not, keep using the software (including the February free engine upgrade to 7) and enjoy your finished investment.

One more thought, it's perfectly OK to not upgrade to new functions if the ones you've already paid for are doing everything you want.  

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 406
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 9:27 PM

Keith Pang:

The usability is a lot better in an electronic version though

I think that entirely depends on your use and personal preference. Any day of the week I'd much rather "read" a print book; something about being able to sit in a comfortable chair and read paper appeals to me and seems easier. That said, for research and writing I love electronic books.

For seminary I have often chosen to purchase both digital and print versions of the same book.

For the OP, have you considered Logos Now? You'll get the new features for $89 for the first year and $99/year thereafter. Also remember that you don't "need" to upgrade. L6 is still perfectly serviceable. I'm not aware of any Bible software that doesn't charge for the latest version in some fashion.

Posts 27798
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 9:31 PM

Erik:
For seminary I have often chosen to purchase both digital and electronic versions of the same book.

Do you mean print and electronic? If not, what is the distinction? 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 406
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 25 2016 9:32 PM

alabama24:

Erik:
For seminary I have often chosen to purchase both digital and electronic versions of the same book.

Do you mean print and electronic? If not, what is the distinction? 

Why yes I did. Thank you, I've edited the post. Big Smile

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS