L7 Speed on a Mac

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 58
Simon Smailus | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 27 2016 2:58 AM

I'm on a new iMac 27 with 32GB RAM.

Logos 6 is awful. The time it takes to sign in, prepare library and synchronise is absolutely woeful.

I'm looking to upgrade to L7, but need some assurances that it won't be slower.

I also have Accordance and very often start Logos 6 and while I'm waiting boot up Accordance 11 find what I'm looking for close Accordance and then Logos comes up as ready. If it wasn't for Logos' speed problem on that Mac I would use it a lot more.

So anyone on a mac who has upgraded who can tell me how it's comparing in comparison to L6? I currently have around 700 resources.

Posts 655
James McAdams | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 3:07 AM

Logos 6.14 and Logos 7 are essentially identical in terms of performance. Comments have been made by Faithlife employees about wanting to put more effort into improving speed and performance, but who knows if/when that will happen? Logos blows my mind and I couldn't imagine going without it, but it's definitely the most sluggish app that I own.

Posts 4519
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 3:32 AM

Hi Simon

When opening Logos to the home page it takes about 15 seconds for me on an iMac (less if I click 'Skip') on the opening splash screen.

If you opt to open to a layout then that can be a problem if you have a lot of resources, that need syncing and searches that need to be completed. Perhaps this is an area that might need looking at.

I recommend putting your complicated layouts on the short cut bar and, if opening to a layout make it one that is very simple, perhaps a bible, a dictionary, and an unpopulated search panel.

Posts 58
Simon Smailus | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 5:21 AM

I don't use complicated layouts. Even with the blank layout it takes 15-20 seconds to start up. If I've not use Logos in a while it can take 30s+.

What I'm really after is whether L7 solves this.

Posts 4519
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 5:48 AM

Simon smailus:

I don't use complicated layouts. Even with the blank layout it takes 15-20 seconds to start up. If I've not use Logos in a while it can take 30s+.

What I'm really after is whether L7 solves this.

Unlikely - without clicking 'Skip' it took me 9 seconds to load to the Home Page just now.

It does though beg the question as to why you shut it down?

I just open it up in 'full screen' stick it on the workspace to the far left and leave it there until the next software update forces a restart.

I doubt I start Logos more than once a month. Which is why I had to go and check the startup time.

Posts 58
Simon Smailus | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 6:49 AM

I find a lot of applications suffer from memory leak. Safari is the worst. If it's left open for a number of days it can be using over a 1GB memory.

I've not tested L6, but might try it.

So the upshot is that L7 is no quicker.

Is it slower?

Posts 26721
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 9:24 AM

Simon smailus:

So the upshot is that L7 is no quicker. Is it slower?

I think that is a difficult question to answer for a number of reasons. One thing to note: The software engine continues to evolve and the L7 engine really is the L6 engine in progression. In fact, the current L6 engine is the same as the current L7 engine, just without some of the new features. 

I have the newest MacBook Pro (when will they come out with new ones!), and my speed is 15 seconds from launch to open. I am opening to a basic layout and am not skipping the sync. This is no faster or slower than L6 for me. 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 4519
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 11:03 AM

Simon smailus:
I find a lot of applications suffer from memory leak. Safari is the worst. If it's left open for a number of days it can be using over a 1GB memory.

Admittedly running MacOS Sierra it don't find that leakage is a problem..

I think I updated the OS at the beginning of the week.

If you are running El Capitan then this article might help.

Posts 58
Simon Smailus | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 12:19 PM

alabama24:
my speed is 15 seconds from launch to open

Mine's more or less the same with L6.

At least it's not slower!

Posts 72
Andrew116 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 2:23 PM

Why shut Logos down?  For me it's because Logos has an impact on battery life that seems bigger than almost any other app.

i would say just having it running in the background takes my battery from 6 hours down to 3 or 4

Posts 10350
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 2:39 PM

Simon smailus:
Even with the blank layout it takes 15-20 seconds to start up.

Disclaimer—Sorry, I can't help myself.

Perhaps we should all try preparing sermons, SS lessons and church bulletins on an IBM Selectric, a wall full of paper books, and a mimeograph machine for a couple of weeks and then return to Logos. That way you can appreciate what you have.

I gave my Accordance library to my grandson as I seldom used it. Logos may not be as fast as A, but it is far more capable. However, it is not for the casual user who only wants to look up a verse and maybe look into a Study Bible—it is more advanced than that.

Posts 26721
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 2:58 PM

Andrew Hayes:
i would say just having it running in the background takes my battery from 6 hours down to 3 or 4

I don't know if that is true... Certainly if it is indexing. I have very long life on mine and it is open generally all the time. You might want to turn off auto downloads though. 

OSX & iOS | Mac Logs | PC LogsInstall

Posts 64
Eric Ross | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 4:34 PM

I am running an iMac 27 10.11.6 with 16GB RAM and a fusion disk drive (part SSD, part conventional).   It can be slow when updating and/or indexing but normally I can hit the "Go" button on the home page with a topic and all the windows are usually up within a second or two.  

Make sure that you collapse all the sections on your Topic Guide ahead of time so that it doesn't need to search all the sections contained there.  That can sometimes be slow because your computer may be doing 10 or more searches at the same time.  The Topic Guide will come up with sections collapsed/not collapsed the same way you last used it.  A quick way to collapse al the sections is to rt-click one of the section headers and select "Collapse All".  

This advice came from the "Quickstart for Logos 7" by Morris Proctor.  He had a whole video on "Collapsed Guides".  Well worth the view.

As an example I did a topic search from the home page of "Love" and it took about 4 seconds for all to come up on the screen.

By comparison my old Macbook Pro 2.2Ghz Core 2 Duo(mid 2007 intro) laptop with 4Gb of RAM takes about 10 seconds and definitely starts falling into the sluggish category across the board.  Still not bad considering the age of that hardware.

Posts 10350
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 27 2016 6:00 PM

Eric Ross:
I am running an iMac 27 10.11.6 with 16GB RAM and a fusion disk drive (part SSD, part conventional).

Very close to my specs—I just have a bit more RAM, and my performance is quite good considering the very complex layouts I seem to always populate.

Posts 58
Simon Smailus | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2018 7:54 AM

Sorry to dredge up an old topic, but the speed of Logos is becoming unbearable. I made the mistake of telling it not to use the internet, but when you connect (for me a week later), the update and reindexing has take 25 min (25% complete) so far and is completely frustrating. I also noticed that without the internet a good 8 features are greyed out. I should add that I turned off the internet to avoid all the updating, preparing, loading, indexing...blah blah blah messages that come with every restart. Even shutting down it takes 30 seconds!

I'm using Logos less and less because of this huge friction, cancelled my connect subscription and am now wishing I had all my resources in another application. I do not have many media resources and cannot for the life of me understand why a text based system is slower than my video editor.

And I'm annoyed, because a 2 minute lookup in Logos has taken me 25 min so far and I'm still no further. I've finished writing this post and Logos still isn't finished.

Angry

Posts 17685
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2018 8:57 PM

Simon Smailus:
I made the mistake of telling it not to use the internet, but when you connect (for me a week later), the update and reindexing has take 25 min (25% complete) so far and is completely frustrating.

Personally have changed Program Setting Automatically Download Updates to No so can choose when to download and index. Concur that trying to use Logos while indexing is in process can be annoying.

Once indexing starts, prudent to let it finish. If indexing is interrupted, then it starts over.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 108
Martin Hall | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 21 2018 11:31 PM

Hi Simon, I use a MacBook Pro (2012 edition) with 8gb of RAM. Logos is the largest program I have on my laptop, with over 950 resources downloaded. I have not had any major issues with L7, I actually encourage others to make the upgrade. As others have noted when the indexing is taking place, it does run a little sluggish, but for me to get around this, I have just assigned a desktop to Logos & keep it up all the time. I, personally have not had any major issues since doing this & I use Logos on a daily basis. 

Posts 4519
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 24 2018 8:21 AM

Hi Simon

My solution is the same as Martin's I keep 'Logos' in full screen on the rightmost of my righthand monitor's desktops and just allow it to do its thing while I check email or these forums. ;-)

You could incorporate this with KS's 'Download Updates' 'No' providing you remember to turn them back on when you have finished using the program.

Are you in the habit of shutting your Mac down?

Posts 58
Simon Smailus | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 25 2018 2:35 AM

As much as I appreciate the idea of keeping logos open all the time, this really does not fix it's architecture. You shouldn't have to leave it open! I run a lot of applications and close those not necessary for the task in hand. When I set myself 2 hours for sermon prep I don't expect Logos to take 30 minutes of that to get itself going.

I run emacs with lots of plugins and masses amount of text, I edit audios and videos, develop websites, run an apple server, create graphics with Affinity and Logoist, and yet nothing, absolutely nothing is as slow and cumbersome on my system like Logos. I have stopped purchasing resources as I do not want it to run slower still. I've been using the software since Libronix days and can only say that when I moved to the Mac version, it has been a most unpleasant experience for getting study done. I know my way around my mac, have a 4Ghz processor with 24GB RAM, and yet still, I'm constantly waiting.

This should not be in 2018

Posts 17685
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 25 2018 6:35 AM

Simon Smailus:
When I set myself 2 hours for sermon prep I don't expect Logos to take 30 minutes of that to get itself going.

Logos and Verbum are personal database applications, which are designed to be opened (and used) a lot so startup/shut down takes awhile. Sermon prep planning idea is scheduling time for Logos start up early enough so application is idle when you want to start sermon prep. Concur with less is more approach that applies to applications in use plus within Logos and Verbum (along with knowing how to quickly open more when desired).

Faithlife Support includes => Optimizing Logos Performance Logos 7 provided motivation to significantly reduce number of complex collections, which dramatically changed collection cache refresh time. Also provided motivation for visual filter reduction. Thankful for two Faithlife accounts: one has paid library while the other has an order total of $ 0.00 whose library has 218 resources. Free account startup is faster than paid account (and now shares a number of documents migrated from paid account). Thankful that Logos and Verbum can be used at the same time.

An idea is enabling diagnostic logging using Logos Logging Utility => https://www.logos.com/support/mac/report-problem followed by opening Logos then look at Logos.log (for an appreciation of database files and daemons). Diagnostic logging includes item that exceed a time limit. My current Logos.log file shows 12 minutes from application start to idle on a 27" iMac (late 2014 model having 4 GHz i7 with 256 GB SSD and 16 GB Ram) so personal quirk is having Logos open a lot.

Simon Smailus:
I've been using the software since Libronix days and can only say that when I moved to the Mac version, it has been a most unpleasant experience for getting study done.

Logos for Mac 1 was a port of Libronix 3 to OS X, which opened faster than Logos 4 (and newer). However searching for word(s) in Logos for Mac 1 took longer than Logos 4 (and newer).

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS