Simon Smailus:
... develop websites ...

Faithlife is hiring => https://faithlife.com/careers

Also curious about your opinion of Logos Web App => https://app.logos.com

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 58
Simon Smailus | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 25 2018 8:20 AM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Logos and Verbum are personal database applications, which are designed to be opened (and used) a lot so startup/shut down takes awhile. 

I appreciate that. My Logos library weighs in at 19GB. However, I use another database app (Devonthink) that stores all my data. This app loads 32 of my databases weighing in at 35GB in total. It opens all of them in 8 seconds. One database contains 70K emails. It's search across all databases is in seconds. No beachball, no waiting. The app closes down in 5 seconds.

I recognise that Logos's problem seems to be with it's incessant need of connecting to the internet. Once Logos is all update and synced and indexed. It can load in under 10 seconds on my machine. But if I don't use it for a week this rapidly moves to 20-30 seconds.

Why can't Logos simply stop its dependence on the internet and allow the user (as most other apps do, ie Accordance) to select the menu and update when we choose to? You either have to go into the settings to turn the internet on or off and this turns it on or off globally, which means you cannot use the internet at all and loose features. Worse still you have to restart the whole app to turn off the internet! Why? The app should separate out the resources and app update feature from the rest of it's need for the internet. I'd be happy to update once a month, but this is not an option.

Posts 26997
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 25 2018 1:38 PM

Simon Smailus:
Why can't Logos simply stop its dependence on the internet and allow the user (as most other apps do, ie Accordance) to select the menu and update when we choose to? You either have to go into the settings to turn the internet on or off and this turns it on or off globally, which means you cannot use the internet at all and loose features.

I don't know if I follow here, but for clarification: you can choose to have "use internet" set to YES, and have "automatically download updates" set to NO. Many of us have it set this way because of one too many automatic updates at inopportune times. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 58
Simon Smailus | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 25 2018 1:44 PM

JT (alabama24):

I don't know if I follow here, but for clarification: you can choose to have "use internet" set to YES, and have "automatically download updates" set to NO. Many of us have it set this way because of one too many automatic updates at inopportune times. 

Yes, you are correct. I do apologise. For some reason I missed this setting.

How do you then update resources? Do you have to change that setting to, "yes" and restart? If you have updates turned off is there a way to see what updates are available?

Posts 17738
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 25 2018 2:50 PM

Simon Smailus:
How do you then update resources?

Notification Bar has update size plus "Click here to download updates" (so can click link when desired)

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 2 of 2 (25 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS