Adrian Rogers Sermons

Page 2 of 4 (74 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 73 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2832
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 12 2016 8:04 PM

I remember hearing Dr. R. G. Lee preach on three occasions as a child.  He was spellbinding and dramatic.  He truly was a great communicator.  Adrian Rogers had a very different style for a different time, but he had the same anointing on his preaching.  He carried the mantle of Dr. Lee very well.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 5257
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 13 2016 10:45 AM

As one of those outside US my introduction to Adrian Rogers was a book I bought from Vyrso on a sale. Defin well worth reading and having listened to a number of his sermons via podcast since then I'd buy the sermon archive if it became available in Logos.

https://vyrso.com/product/22119/love-worth-finding-the-life-of-adrian-rogers-and-his-philosophy-of-preaching 

Paul:

Thanks everyone for the illuminating conversation in this thread. Personally, I'd never heard of Adrian Rogers and this encouraged me to look him up on the internet!  Some speakers would of course be better known in the US rather than to those of us who live elsewhere, but there is always benefit in the sharing of knowledge. Keep well Paul     

Posts 168
LogosEmployee
Daniel Motley (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 10:20 AM

Hi all,

My name is Daniel Motley and I'm the Baptist Product Manager at Faithlife. I just wanted to drop in and let you all know that we're currently working on this project. No promises on what the future may hold, but you have been heard!

Thanks,

Daniel

Product Manager, Faithlife

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 11:38 AM

I own these in WS. They would be great to have in Logos (so I'd love to have Faithlife/Logos offer them), and while I hate to "promote" another Bible software program on Logos' territory, when they're on a good sale, I highly recommend going for them even if you have to get them outside of Logos. I have gotten immense use out of them even as a seminary student when writing academic papers. They're worth every penny to own. It's a wonderful wonderful set of sermons.

Nathan Parker

Visit my blog at http://focusingonthemarkministries.com

Posts 105
William M. Harper | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 12:14 PM

Daniel Motley:

Hi all,

My name is Daniel Motley and I'm the Baptist Product Manager at Faithlife. I just wanted to drop in and let you all know that we're currently working on this project. No promises on what the future may hold, but you have been heard!

Thanks,

Daniel

Yes Thanks, Daniel.

Posts 6744
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 12:18 PM

Daniel Motley:

Hi all,

Thanks,

Daniel

By "currently working on this project" do you mean you are negotiating with the publisher  or producing it under the radar to make it available on a short prepub offer sometime in the future?

Thanks!

DAL

Posts 1223
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 12:33 PM

DAL:

I hope FL makes a move fast, I'd rather own these than Johnny Mac's sermons. 

Meeeeee tooooo brother....if for the views on Reformed Theology, if nothing else. AR was one of the most anointed preachers I've ever heard. His voice commanded such attention and response. It was unquestioned that he was an anointed vessel of God! 

DAL:

I'm really looking forward to having Adrian Rogers in my Logos library, along with Carson's sermon archive. 👍👌 

Meeeeee tooooo! Sure hope they make it here to Logos. 

DAL:

I'd rather pay Logos instead of WS.

For me, its not an issue of who I'd rather pay; WordSearch is just soooooo very deficient when compared to Logos. I have tried and tried to work in WS...there are a lot of nice resources they offer that can't be bought (and wont ever be sold) by Logos. So I have tried to learn the WS platform. But once you've used Logos, its a very humbling experience to have to use WS, or even Bible Works or Accordance for that matter. I mean, in all fairness to them, I know they are trying their best to offer alternative Bible study option, so as not to give Logos the monopoly on the market;  but I have tried them all, some extensively, and its just really sad. It's like driving a 1981 Chevette (my first car, LOL) after you have owned and toured the country in a Cadillac Escalade. The obvious smoother ride, more powerful engine, more headroom, and TON of bells and whistles all combine together to make riding in the Chevette a very humbling experience.

I do keep WS on my computer for the resources they offer (the Broadman and Holman resources, especially), but purchase everything I can in Logos if available. The same resource in Logos is MUCH higher sometimes (though not always); but, you really do get what you pay for! 

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Posts 1223
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 12:36 PM

Nathan Parker:

I have gotten immense use out of them even as a seminary student when writing academic papers. They're worth every penny to own. It's a wonderful wonderful set of sermons.

Same here. I have them in WS for the same reasons/thoughts you have expressed here. Unfortunately, using WS is a humbling experience for me as a frequent Logos user. Logos is just sooooo much more advanced and efficient, even in the GUI. 

But, at least WS has caught on to the idea of allowing the user the open of themes, so the color scheme of the GUI can at least be changed. I sure wish Logos would catch on to this simple but frequently requested feature / idea. 

Myke Harbuck

Posts 6744
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 1:00 PM

Nathan Parker:

I own these in WS. They would be great to have in Logos (so I'd love to have Faithlife/Logos offer them), and while I hate to "promote" another Bible software program on Logos' territory, when they're on a good sale, I highly recommend going for them even if you have to get them outside of Logos. I have gotten immense use out of them even as a seminary student when writing academic papers. They're worth every penny to own. It's a wonderful wonderful set of sermons.

I read your review in the WS website and how you use them.  I'm currently "test driving" the sermons and I'm a bit disappointed in that the way they put them together, seems kind of sloppy.  Some sermons have a complete outline followed by the transcript others don't, but they do say "Outline, Introduction, Conclusion" right before the the transcript.  It seems to me like they could've gone over the sermons and add the outlines for all of them.  Not only that, but add HEADERS to the main points in the transcripts so you can tell the "divisions" of the sermon, that way you'll know he moved from Main Point I to II or that there was a subpoint A and a subpoint B.

I hope Logos can manage to improve the quality.  Other than that, Adrian Rogers insights are not in question.  He's a great expositor!

DAL

Edit: The only resource I will have to get on WS, since it didn't make the cut in Logos, is the Rod Mattoon's Treasures From The Scriptures.  I was really looking forward to have them in Logos, but unfortunately only a few of us were interested in it.  It got stuck in prepub limbo :( Hopefully, that won't happen to Adrian Rogers Sermons.

Posts 1223
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 1:11 PM

DAL:

I'm a bit disappointed in that the way they put them together, seems kind of sloppy.  Some sermons have a complete outline followed by the transcript others don't, but they do say "Outline, Introduction, Conclusion" right before the the transcript.  It seems to me like they could've gone over the sermons and add the outlines for all of them.  Not only that, but add HEADERS to the main points in the transcripts so you can tell the "divisions" of the sermon, that way you'll know he moved from Main Point I to II or that there was a subpoint A and a subpoint B.

I hope Logos can manage to improve the quality.

DAL

I could not agree with you more. WS is a bit "sloppy." They try, they really do, but Lifeway just isn't really willing to invest resources into WS to make it what it could be. And the employees there are a but naive, as they think, seriously, that WS is a superior product to Logos (I have had that discussion so many times with one or two of their guys). Until they understand their deficiencies, I don't know how they will ever overcome them!

And its sad because they have the potential to be a good Bible study platform and provide resources that Logos probable doesn't desire to provide, or won't ever delve into. In that regard, there is room in the BS marketplace for BOTH WS and FL, esp since WS has no desire to ever tap into the academic market, the biblical languages market, the mobile ed market, etc. They simple want to provide application-level materials, such as commentaries, devotionals. and sermons, to pastors, Sunday School teachers, and church leaders. 

DAL:

Other than that, Adrian Rogers insights are not in question.  He's a great expositor!

DAL

Amen to the 1 millionth power! 

Myke Harbuck

Posts 6744
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 4:54 PM

Mattoon is on board now on my WS. They definitely gave his commentaries/sermons better treatment than Rogers. I like Mattoon and 51 volumes for $199.99 it was a good deal offered by the sales rep. It makes it look like a way better deal than Rogers considering the quality of how the resource was built.

DAL

Posts 1223
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 4:57 PM

DAL:

Mattoon is on board now on my WS. They definitely gave his commentaries/sermons better treatment than Rogers. I like Mattoon and 51 volumes for $199.99 it was a good deal offered by the sales rep. It makes it look like a way better deal than Rogers considering the quality of how the resource was built.

DAL

I could not agree with you more. You are exactly right. 

I use Mattoon for my daily devotions a lot of days; I really like his writings. I mean, I enjoy reading academic stuff, and I enjoy being pushed and challenged by it; but sometimes reading stuff like Mattoon is so refreshing and so rich In simplicity and edification. 

I was glad when I discovered his work. I had never heard of him before I saw his works in wordsearch.  

Myke Harbuck

Posts 6744
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 5:07 PM

Myke Harbuck:

DAL:

DAL

I could not agree with you more. You are exactly right. 

I use Mattoon for my daily devotions a lot of days; I really like his writings. I mean, I enjoy reading academic stuff, and I enjoy being pushed and challenged by it; but sometimes reading stuff like Mattoon is so refreshing and so rich In simplicity and edification. 

I was glad when I discovered his work. I had never heard of him before I saw his works in wordsearch.  

Hopefully Logos can bring him back and lower the prepub price, because it was way to expensive and the tagging would not be that sophisticated; like John Butler's works. Mattoon has helped me in the pass for practical group studies and his alliteration is one of the best too 👍

Posts 1223
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 5:10 PM

I agree; Mattoon's alliteration is far superior to that of Butler. Butler's alliteration is almost nonsensical at times. A lot of the words don't make sense, or, most of the time, you can just tell that he's went way overboard in trying to create an alliteration that doesn't exist, or he's just got way too many  alliteration's for a particular passage. A lot of times his alliteration's have alliterations. :-) LOL 

Myke Harbuck

Posts 6744
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 5:28 PM

Myke Harbuck:

I agree; Mattoon's alliteration is far superior to that of Butler. Butler's alliteration is almost nonsensical at times. A lot of the words don't make sense, or, most of the time, you can just tell that he's went way overboard in trying to create an alliteration that doesn't exist, or he's just got way too many  alliteration's for a particular passage. A lot of times his alliteration's have alliterations. :-) LOL 

Couldn't agree more, especially on "the perspiration" of everything he writes LOL:

Posts 1223
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 5:47 PM

DAL:

Couldn't agree more, especially on "the perspiration" of everything he writes LOL:

that's hilarious. I had not seen that one before. Could you imagine trying to preach that material. LOL

Myke Harbuck

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 8:31 PM

Myke Harbuck:

Nathan Parker:

I have gotten immense use out of them even as a seminary student when writing academic papers. They're worth every penny to own. It's a wonderful wonderful set of sermons.

Same here. I have them in WS for the same reasons/thoughts you have expressed here. Unfortunately, using WS is a humbling experience for me as a frequent Logos user. Logos is just sooooo much more advanced and efficient, even in the GUI. 

But, at least WS has caught on to the idea of allowing the user the open of themes, so the color scheme of the GUI can at least be changed. I sure wish Logos would catch on to this simple but frequently requested feature / idea. 

Very true. I've gotten a strategy down on how I use them (it's on the WS blog when I made a guest post), but I am far more comfortable with using Logos than anything else. I can access them in WS, but Logos would be a better experience. With 9,000 books in Logos and years of Logos experience, it's the program I'm far more comfortable in.

I'm glad WS finally did add GUI theming to the program in a previous build (as anyone who knows my past history with WS would know why) :-) I think it was taken away again with v11 though and returned to a stock interface.

Nathan Parker

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 8:34 PM

DAL:

Nathan Parker:

I read your review in the WS website and how you use them.  I'm currently "test driving" the sermons and I'm a bit disappointed in that the way they put them together, seems kind of sloppy.  Some sermons have a complete outline followed by the transcript others don't, but they do say "Outline, Introduction, Conclusion" right before the the transcript.  It seems to me like they could've gone over the sermons and add the outlines for all of them.  Not only that, but add HEADERS to the main points in the transcripts so you can tell the "divisions" of the sermon, that way you'll know he moved from Main Point I to II or that there was a subpoint A and a subpoint B.

I hope Logos can manage to improve the quality.  Other than that, Adrian Rogers insights are not in question.  He's a great expositor!

DAL

Edit: The only resource I will have to get on WS, since it didn't make the cut in Logos, is the Rod Mattoon's Treasures From The Scriptures.  I was really looking forward to have them in Logos, but unfortunately only a few of us were interested in it.  It got stuck in prepub limbo :( Hopefully, that won't happen to Adrian Rogers Sermons.

I have noticed this as well, and if all goes well about getting these in Logos, I hope Logos will do better. Some of them are "cleanly" outlined and some are more "sloppy". I was reading some this week where I had to wade through the transcripts to determine his outline, and I was a little disappointed in that. It's hind of hit and miss with how they developed them, something I hope Logos can dramatically improve on (Passage Guide integration would also be nice).

It would be nice if they can include the Pastor's Training Videos as well. I managed to get those when WS had them on the limited offer. Those are valuable videos.

Nathan Parker

Posts 1751
Nathan Parker | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 8:36 PM

Myke Harbuck:

DAL:

I'm a bit disappointed in that the way they put them together, seems kind of sloppy.  Some sermons have a complete outline followed by the transcript others don't, but they do say "Outline, Introduction, Conclusion" right before the the transcript.  It seems to me like they could've gone over the sermons and add the outlines for all of them.  Not only that, but add HEADERS to the main points in the transcripts so you can tell the "divisions" of the sermon, that way you'll know he moved from Main Point I to II or that there was a subpoint A and a subpoint B.

I hope Logos can manage to improve the quality.

DAL

I could not agree with you more. WS is a bit "sloppy." They try, they really do, but Lifeway just isn't really willing to invest resources into WS to make it what it could be. And the employees there are a but naive, as they think, seriously, that WS is a superior product to Logos (I have had that discussion so many times with one or two of their guys). Until they understand their deficiencies, I don't know how they will ever overcome them!

And its sad because they have the potential to be a good Bible study platform and provide resources that Logos probable doesn't desire to provide, or won't ever delve into. In that regard, there is room in the BS marketplace for BOTH WS and FL, esp since WS has no desire to ever tap into the academic market, the biblical languages market, the mobile ed market, etc. They simple want to provide application-level materials, such as commentaries, devotionals. and sermons, to pastors, Sunday School teachers, and church leaders. 

DAL:

Other than that, Adrian Rogers insights are not in question.  He's a great expositor!

DAL

Amen to the 1 millionth power! 

I agree. WS has some excellent content that's hard to get at times, but the engine holds it back. I really wish Lifeway would assign someone to take the platform and give it the dramatic overhaul it needs, or some other Bible software company would buy them out and merge their library content into a better engine.

But true, Rogers is a brilliant expositor! One of the Lord's gifts to us!

Nathan Parker

Posts 910
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 14 2016 8:41 PM

Nathan's (helpful) hint to make them usable in Wordsearch is almost an ad for Faithlife's handling of sermons. This is so convoluted: http://blog.wordsearchbible.com/2015/04/07/guest-tip-adrian-rogers-seminary/#.V9oXhZgrKM8 

I ordered the DVDs from the Pastor Training Institute. I had to call because their website is such a mess and had a long, delightful conversation with Dr. Rogers' son. That is a Mobile Ed course I could get behind!

Page 2 of 4 (74 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS