TOTC/TNTC Publication Date Discrepancies

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1518
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 16 2016 11:01 AM

I purchased a L7 library package that includes the Tyndale OT/NT commentary series.  While looking at the rankings on Best Commentaries, I noticed that nearly all of the publication dates listed for my TOTC/TNTC commentaries in Logos are 1 to 9 years older than the publication dates listed by Best Commentaries.

I'm wondering if others see the same thing and if it means the rankings listed on Best Commentaries apply to different versions or revisions than what we get in Logos.

Posts 1603
Forum MVP
Veli Voipio | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2016 12:06 PM

I have the series in my bookshelf, bought about 10 years ago, and so far found only one discrepancy, but seems to be the same edition.

In Logos I can see two books of Esther in the TOTC, one of them is much newer edition.

Gold package, and original language material and ancient text material, SIL and UBS books, discourse Hebrew OT and Greek NT. PC with Windows 8.1

Posts 13413
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2016 12:07 PM

Rick Ausdahl:
I purchased a L7 library package that includes the Tyndale OT/NT commentary series.  While looking at the rankings on Best Commentaries, I noticed that nearly all of the publication dates listed for my TOTC/TNTC commentaries in Logos are 1 to 9 years older than the publication dates listed by Best Commentaries.

The Tyndale series was originally published in the UK, and only later published in the US. Best Commentaries is giving the US date, probably from Amazon data. Logos is (correctly) giving the UK date. There are no differences between the text of the US and UK editions, except where the older edition was replaced (i.e. Esther).

Posts 1518
Rick Ausdahl | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 16 2016 3:12 PM

Thanks, Veli and Mark!  I wasn't aware of the publication history.

Posts 106
Andrew Malone | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Nov 1 2016 9:40 PM

It's good to remain alert to the issue. Esther is the first example where an older volume has not only been updated by the same author, but where a whole new volume by a new author has been added to the series.

From 2012 or so, there's now quite a number of volumes that are either revised or replaced. So this kind of confusion is only going to get worse.

It's also worth noting (as in other forum threads) that there now appear to be two sets of Tyndale files and resources (and also with BST volumes). Some have 'US' appended to the resource name while others don't.

Posts 720
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 2 2016 2:11 AM

Hi

As someone who helps contribute to the data contained on BestCommentaries.com if you see inaccuracies, missing titles or other things to contributes please let me know. As many of you know John Dyer is the originator of the site is still very much in charge of the whole provision.

I have marked this thread to send me an email - and I should get back to you.

Alternatively my email - is - kevin <underscrore> a <underscore> lewis "the AT sign" <dot> com

I guess you can work that out.

Shalom

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS