Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 9
Liam & Abi Maguire | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Sep 25 2016 6:54 AM

I recently acquired a new laptop. For reasons connected to my work arrangements I have two windows 10 accounts on my laptop: one for home and one for work, but only one Logos Now account.

I intend to use Logos on both.

Is it possible to make Logos share the library between both users so that A. updates are not downloaded in duplicate and B. libraries are not indexed in duplicate? 

I am a Mac exile (this is my first Windows laptop in 6 years) so please be gentle with me...

Thanks in advance.

Liam

Posts 9966
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 12:49 PM

Liam Maguire:
Is it possible to make Logos share the library between both users so that A. updates are not downloaded in duplicate and B. libraries are not indexed in duplicate? 

I think in theory it's possible ( such as using a custom install path onto a folder that is accessible by both users ) but this is not a supported usage scenario and might become somewhat complicated, especially for a less experienced Windows user. Since you say this laptop is new, I assume there's no scarcity of free space, so my advice would be to rather live with the duplicate gigabytes (you con't need to download twice and may even save on the indexing time, see https://wiki.logos.com/Install_Logos_for_multiple_users and https://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers  

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 25 2016 2:08 PM

Liam Maguire:

On a MacBook Air with two users and two different libraries, the Logos Bible Software 7 application bundle can be shared, but only used by one user at a time.

Not know if Logos software on Windows has check to prevent two users from running application at the same time, which would be problematic.

Liam Maguire:
For reasons connected to my work arrangements I have two windows 10 accounts on my laptop: one for home and one for work, but only one Logos Now account.

Possibly the Logos Web App (part of Logos Now membership) could be used for one or both users so only need to install Logos application for one user.  Also could install Logos for one user and switch Windows 10 focus to that account when want to use Logos. Another idea is installing stable Logos for one user and beta for the other.

On Windows, personally have an administrator account for software installation and user account with Logos installed only for user account. Have installed Logos and Verbum for the same user without sharing resources (used scan command to copy downloaded items from one installation to the other).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 4624
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 27 2016 8:18 AM

Liam Maguire:
I intend to use Logos on both.

Working on the KISS principle this is not wise.

Liam Maguire:
Is it possible to make Logos share the library between both users

Yes, but the complications are likely to outweigh the advantages.

Best solution? Have three users

Work, Personal, and Logos -- switch users as required.

Posts 5
Alejandro A Aguilar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 7 2017 10:59 AM

How did you get it to work on a MacBook? I'm trying to do it on a MBP so that my wife can study on her own. I understand we share everything but I don't want the desktops cluttered with my stuff. When I did add my user account to her computer, the Logos app was there but when I clicked on it the program started to try and download all 30GBs again. I had to stop the download because I had something else to do. Now it won't download again. I don't want to have 60GB of stuff that is identical

Posts 17906
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 7 2017 7:09 PM

Alejandro A Aguilar:
How did you get it to work on a MacBook?

MacBook Air has Logos software (Application bundle) in the Application folder. One user has their Logos library with resources and indexes on internal 128GB SSD while other user has resources folder on 128GB USB drive with all their other personal Logos library files on internal 128GB SSD (the resources folder is nearly three times larger than available space on internal SSD).  The Two libraries have different resources (along with different layouts, priorities, ...). The majority of resources in the smaller library duplicate resources in the larger library.

Alejandro A Aguilar:
When I did add my user account to her computer, the Logos app was there but when I clicked on it the program started to try and download all 30GBs again

Expected behaviour since Logos is licensed per user (EULA) so each user has their own personal library folder with resources, indexes, ... Technically can think of a couple unsupported ways for one set of library files by more than one user (with inherent risk of corruption if two users run application at the same time).

Alejandro A Aguilar:
Now it won't download again. I don't want to have 60GB of stuff that is identical

One idea is update resources command. Also want to verify indexer is not running for both users.

Logos web app => https://app.logos.com needs internet connection (while not downloading resources to computer)

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 24850
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 10 2017 1:32 AM

Liam Maguire:

Logos installations can't be shared that way. As indicated above there are manual methods to use one installation (the 'master') to update the resources in the other. Duplicate indexing can also be avoided if the Logos accounts are the same, but the procedure has to be executed with care. I would use Method 2 for the initial installation but otherwise scan resources from the 'master' and index them.

Note that on the same computer you can copy/scan directly from one installation folder to the other.

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Not know if Logos software on Windows has check to prevent two users from running application at the same time, which would be problematic.

That can't happen in Windows, but Logos can be running (e.g. downloading/indexing) in one account when Windows is switched to another account to run the other installation. 

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 17906
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 10 2017 10:19 AM

Dave Hooton:

That can't happen in Windows, but Logos can be running (e.g. downloading/indexing) in one account when Windows is switched to another account to run the other installation. 

Another scenario is Logos installed for Windows user A. If Windows user A is running Logos and Windows user B uses run as for execution of Logos, not know if Logos has check to prevent two instances of Logos running for Windows user A. Caveat: anticipate using run as (or sudo) for running Logos to be unsupported (and likewise not know if really usable since have had mixed results with other applications).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 27554
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 10 2017 1:35 PM

LMAM:
For reasons connected to my work arrangements I have two windows 10 accounts on my laptop: one for home and one for work, but only one Logos Now account.

Unrelated, but FWIW - There is no reason to post this in the Logos Now forum. I think your question has already been answered, but your question is really related to L7. The fact that you subscribe to LN would not have any bearing on the basic operation of the software. If your question isn't answered to your satisfaction, a forum moderator can move the thread for you. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 236
Mikko Paavola | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 11 2017 7:36 AM

Since you are using both of the Windows user accounts by yourself, the easiest way is to install Logos in the account you use more. You can be logged in in both of the Windows accounts and can switch between them whenever needed by pressing Ctrl+Alt+Del.

Faithlife Connect + several Base Packages + Luther's Works, etc.
Lenovo ThinkPad Yoga 260, Win 10 Pro, Intel Core i7-6500U, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, Intel HD Graphics 520.
iPhone 7 Plus.

Posts 24850
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 12 2017 8:16 PM

Another scenario is Logos installed for Windows user A. If Windows user A is running Logos and Windows user B uses run as for execution of Logos, not know if Logos has check to prevent two instances of Logos running for Windows user A. Caveat: anticipate using run as (or sudo) for running Logos to be unsupported (and likewise not know if really usable since have had mixed results with other applications).

That would be beyond most users' needs/knowledge. I tried a few 'runas' but basically FORGET IT (one attempt screwed up a registry entry).

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS