Linden:

I'm hoping for

JPS Tanakh Commentary Collection: http://www.logos.com/products/details/2913

Yes

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 7:18 AM

Daniel Bender:
Mark A. Smith:
Evangelical Dictionary of Theology (take it out of the set)

YES !!!

Regards, SteveF

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 7:36 AM

I don't think pre-pubs or commentaries are going to make it.  However, of already published works, I would be interested in:

The Ways of Our God: An Approach to Biblical Theology--Scobie

Dunn's Galatians Commentary

IVP OT dictionaries

ALL pictures and graphics for Christian History Mag!!!!!

"any" of Scot McKnight's "Interpreting . . . " series (Interpreting the Synoptics/Acts/Hebrews, etc)

Millard Erickson's Christian Theology

Estep and Friesens: The Anabaptists

The Jesus Quest (witherington)

I H Marshall--NT Theology (though I have the condensed . . .)

Various offerings from these collections:

Baker Theology, AYB commentaries (Barth, Brown), Black's Commentaries, Chesterton and more.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 2829
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 7:37 AM

Bill,

What is it about the old ISBE that would appeal?  Is it still a pretty good resource even with the dating?

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 928
Bill Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 8:27 AM

Michael Childs:

Bill,

What is it about the old ISBE that would appeal?  Is it still a pretty good resource even with the dating?

It's an old stand-by I wouldn't mind having for cheap.

Pastor, Cornerstone Baptist Church, Clinton, SC

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 2:15 PM

Dan DeVilder:
ALL pictures and graphics for Christian History Mag!!!!!

And they dare call ME the dreamer!    Dan, you know that is a copyright hurdle.  Dream on....................Sleep

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 84
Ron Barry | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 5:02 PM

I already have the "old" ISBE from Orr in another bible software program - I'd like to get a nice deal on  the new ISBE.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 5:52 PM

Michael Childs:
What is it about the old ISBE that would appeal? 

I like the old ISBE because of it's "dated"-ness. Sometimes I like to read books from circa 1880's through 1910's. I get a sense of history reading the eloquent vocabulary and undistracted devotion.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 6:39 PM

Matthew C Jones:
Dan, you know that is a copyright hurdle. 

Heard it, but I don't get it.  I am sure there is a good reason, but until I hear it, it sounds dumb and petty to me!  (not Logos).  Probably after I hear it, I'll be Embarrassed

Posts 1646
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 6:46 PM

Dan DeVilder:
copyright hurdle.

Somewhere here there was an explanation - either here or on the old News Groups. It had to do with the retained rights of... (the original photographers?). Someone else recently posted that magazines own web-available issues were in PDF without photos?

Regards, SteveF

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 9:57 PM

SteveF:
Somewhere here there was an explanation - either here

The forum thread was titled: "Christian History & Biography Magazine Prepub"

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/611.aspx

The "official" explanation was given by Phil Gons on the second page (Post ID 5726)

Posts 446
Jonathan Sine | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 15 2010 10:40 PM

ISBE - Bromiley

Toward An Exegetical Theology - Kaiser (again, take it out of the set)

Jonathan Sine

Pastor - Squamish Baptist Church

2 Cor. 4.6

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 2:58 AM

Matthew C Jones:

SteveF:
Somewhere here there was an explanation - either here

The forum thread was titled: "Christian History & Biography Magazine Prepub"

http://community.logos.com/forums/t/611.aspx

The "official" explanation was given by Phil Gons on the second page (Post ID 5726)

yeah, I remember that discussion, but the explanation did not "satisfy" me.  Not that Phil said anything wrong, I just have a hard time understanding how it could come to this point, and why whoever owns the "rights" would not GIVE the right to publish the pictures.

Anyway, it will remain my undying request.  Smile

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 5:04 AM

Dan DeVilder:
I just have a hard time understanding how it could come to this point, and why whoever owns the "rights" would not GIVE the right to publish the pictures.

It's the same situation Logos finds itself in regarding the iPhone app: original contracts did not foresee future distribution. The publisher of CHM doesn't own the rights to images it published. Instead, it purchased/was granted permission (probably from a variety of sources) to place those images in print magazines. Whatever contract they drew with the copyright holders did not cover the transition to a new medium i.e. being published in Logos.

I agree it's less than ideal and I was disappointed too, but acquiring the rights to these pictures has the potential to make the CHM way more expensive.

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 6:13 AM

Kevin Becker:

Dan DeVilder:
I just have a hard time understanding how it could come to this point, and why whoever owns the "rights" would not GIVE the right to publish the pictures.

It's the same situation Logos finds itself in regarding the iPhone app: original contracts did not foresee future distribution. The publisher of CHM doesn't own the rights to images it published. Instead, it purchased/was granted permission (probably from a variety of sources) to place those images in print magazines. Whatever contract they drew with the copyright holders did not cover the transition to a new medium i.e. being published in Logos.

I agree it's less than ideal and I was disappointed too, but acquiring the rights to these pictures has the potential to make the CHM way more expensive.

Thank you, Kevin, as always.  I don't really think about where publishers have to draw from for their graphics. 

I would be inclined to pay double what i paid for the pictures . . . . I think they are THAT valuable.

Posts 2829
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 8:37 AM

I understand the first 50 issues of CHM do have the pictures and graphs in Logos format.  It is only after issue 50 that there are no pictures. Is that correct?

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 2829
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 8:54 AM

I would love to see the newer volumes of the ICC - the three volumes of Matthew by Allison, the two volumes of Romans by Cranfield, and the Pastoral Epistles by Marshall.

I would also l love anything by Martyn Lloyd-Jones - such as the 10 volume Selected Works or his volumes on Ephesians.

I would love to see Luther's Works.

I would like to the the Church History Magazine - especially the early volumes with the pictures.

Posts 13373
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 9:11 AM

<deleted irrelevant post> Why can I look at a reply 10 times and only realise it's stupid the second I press "Post"?

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 10:20 AM

Dan DeVilder:

Thank you, Kevin, as always.  I don't really think about where publishers have to draw from for their graphics. 

I would be inclined to pay double what i paid for the pictures . . . . I think they are THAT valuable.

As Kevin points out, the copyrights are held by multiple entities. In the case of Christian History & Biography Magazine, probably hundreds of entities. It would be a monumental task to hunt down and secure each permission needed. Some copyright holders have undoubtedly passed away and determining the rightful owner would be an additional headache for each one. I lament it is unlikely to ever happen. (I would gladly pay double too.)

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 16 2010 10:24 AM

Michael Childs:

I understand the first 50 issues of CHM do have the pictures and graphs in Logos format.  It is only after issue 50 that there are no pictures. Is that correct?

Yes. The first 50 issues include the pictures. I cancelled my order for the full set when I heard they lacked the photos from the latter half. I do not know if the upgrade would delete the photos from the first half. I doubt it would have that effect but I don't know.  Did everybody retain the photographs from the first 50 issues when upgrading to the full set? Does a new purchase of the full set include the photos from the first 50 issues? If so, I think it is well worth the purchase price. Although you will feel a sense of loss to see what could have been.

Page 4 of 13 (249 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS