recommended books when studying/preaching

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 8
Brian Ramdhan | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 26 2016 11:21 AM

lets say you have to preach or doing your study, in logos there are more books than we can read or reference so I was wondering which 1 book in different categories would you use e.g which 1 bible dictionary or 1 commentary (it can be a commentary set), which 1 handbook etc..... while you are preparing 

what do you guys recommend???

Posts 2832
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 2:03 PM

Only 1 Bible Dictionary - Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary

Only 1 Commentary set - New International Commentary OT/NT

Only 1 Lexicon Greek - BDAG

Only 1 Lexicon Hebrew - HALOT

Only 1 Handbook series - United Bible Societies Handbooks

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 934
Matthew | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 2:31 PM

Michael Childs:

Only 1 Bible Dictionary - Anchor Yale Bible Dictionary

Only 1 Commentary set - New International Commentary OT/NT

Only 1 Lexicon Greek - BDAG

Only 1 Lexicon Hebrew - HALOT

Only 1 Handbook series - United Bible Societies Handbooks

Hard to argue with that list!

Posts 3301
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 2:44 PM

Definitely good suggestions. However, instead of the Anchor Dictionary, I would replace that and add the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia (revised)

As far as the lexicon goes, for me a close second or a tie for first would be Colin Brown's New International Dictionary of New Testament Theology

IMHO

mm.

mm.

Posts 177
Al Het | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 26 2016 4:11 PM

Michael Childs' recommendations are rock solid, I doubt anyone would argue that these aren't either THE best, or among the best.  Of course, many/most of these resources are most helpful for people with Greek and Hebrew training.  That said, if absolutely forced to use only one of each, my preferences would be slightly different than Michael's:

Bible Dictionary/Encyclopedia - Modern version of the International Standard Bible Encyclopedia

Commentary set - New American Commentary series (only slightly preferred, the NIC series is excellent)

Greek Lexicon for direct reference - I prefer Louw & Nida, but BDAG is seen as the standard, and is obviously excellent

Greek expanded lexicon (Encyclopedia) - Colin Brown (NIDNT), though I wouldn't hesitate to choose Silva's update of this set, if buying for the first time now

Hebrew Lexicon for quick reference - Holladay, A Concise Hebrew and Aramaic Lexicon of the Old Testament

Hebrew expanded lexicon - HALOT

Don't use any handbooks, so I can't comment on them.

Once again, these Greek and Hebrew tools will be much more useful with in-depth Greek and Hebrew training. 

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS