What is Wrong with Logos Forming a Correct Query?

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 10116
Denise | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 3 2016 11:34 AM

I run into this quite a bit. I questioned it a couple years back, and Bradley answered saying it uses your earlier query. What else could it do?

Here's the situation I encounter:

1. I'm in Qumran Sectarian Manuscripts (Abegg). It's tagged; I'm wondering how someone translated 'pious ones' at 4Q398 17 (example)

2. I right click the hebrew, it picks up the lemma, and I select search this resource (to get comparables)

3. It builds a query, All Morph Text , Exodus (the Bible!), in NA27 w/Apparatus (the NT!). We're not remotely in the ballpark.

Now, if I right-click the same hebrew again, same search, it fills it in correctly.  Obviously not using the earlier search, just seconds back.

I already tried the bug? route. I just think there's a problem, first in L6 and now L7.

Posts 2577
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2016 2:36 PM

Denise:

I run into this quite a bit. I questioned it a couple years back, and Bradley answered saying it uses your earlier query. What else could it do?

Here's the situation I encounter:

1. I'm in Qumran Sectarian Manuscripts (Abegg). It's tagged; I'm wondering how someone translated 'pious ones' at 4Q398 17 (example)

2. I right click the hebrew, it picks up the lemma, and I select search this resource (to get comparables)

3. It builds a query, All Morph Text , Exodus (the Bible!), in NA27 w/Apparatus (the NT!). We're not remotely in the ballpark.

Now, if I right-click the same hebrew again, same search, it fills it in correctly.  Obviously not using the earlier search, just seconds back.

I already tried the bug? route. I just think there's a problem, first in L6 and now L7.

Denise,

I'm not able to reproduce this, can you provide a screenshot of what you are seeing/doing?

Thanks,

Philana

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2016 2:52 PM

I've seen similar issues in the past.

Just now, I right-clicked on the ESV on Hosea 2:16 on the word Husband, and selected the lemma, and selected Search This Resource.

The first time, it limited the search to Acts 10.  Of course it didn't find any results.  The second time I tried it, the range was set to All Passages.  I did not touch either search window's settings.

Both search windows are shown here:

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 10116
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 3 2016 5:01 PM

Thank you, Todd. My PC is offline, so I wasn't looking forward to taking shots.

My impression (likely incorrect), is it hits an error and pops out, before the panel args are fed to the search composer.  Mine was even more odd, since the lemma was Bible qualified, even trying to deliver a NRSV parallel.

Posts 2577
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 8:58 AM

Todd and Denise.

Have you run any other searches before this bug occurs? Can you let me know what they are and any settings?

Can you open just a search panel and let me know what settings show up? I'm trying to track down what is triggering this. Does it happen all of the time or just randomly?

Thanks,

Philana

Posts 10116
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 9:46 AM

Thank you, Philana for pursuing.

Todd will likely be closer to the norm. In my case:

- I keep 2 search windows open in my layout (which went back to molassas-L4, no offense). One search looked at high level basic (topics, headers, large-text), while the other was a basic, all library. This worked fine until maybe L6 ... see below.

- Logos isn't my primary. I don't use it for morphs, syntax, etc. Mainly, the 2 search panels for a whole library search, and the comparables using the right-click, plus lexicon lookups.  So, basically random, quick searches, checking issues.  Other than the 2 panels, all other searches are closed after use.

- I think L6 began trying to slot args between the types of search panels? Anyway, that's when I noticed it's slotting attempts were sometimes not correct (slotting, meaning, when you move from Basic to Bible to Morph, it tries to re-state the args to fit the selected type).

- L6 I think was when it started trashing my 2 fixed search panels ... meaning, args from a right-clik menu search were  being leaked into other open search panels ( I guess being really helpful). 

- Looked at the history panel for earlier use. Of course, no helpful date-stamps (sorry); in order going backward, L7 never closed:

problem search from right-clik ([field bible, content]<Lemma=etc>) | Qumran Sectarian Manuscripts (odd for a field bible)

basic search for phrase, all resources  (a bunch of these)

lemma search on Lexham Hebrew Interlinear Gen-Rev (sop for Logos, I guess)

- I don't see any search of the incorrect NA28; I did use it manually. No internal searches within the resource.  I did do an internal search within the book of Exodus a couple weeks back? Maybe NRSV.

I don't think any of this helps ... sorry. My suspicion is the arg slotting when search panels are open already. That is when the issue first appeared.

EDIT: In answer to a new search panel, Bible-type, All Bible Text, Gen-Rev (but I've done more searches since the problem. As earlier noted, the issue is random.

Posts 10116
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 11:24 AM

Just adding more info.

Today, I was about to clean out the two search panels (as above). But I first clik'd type:Clause (changing type, in existing panel). The args are Daniel, in SBL Greek NT.  Where'd they come from??

The curiousity is I never use the SBL greek resource. And Daniel was a ways back in time.  

So, out of more curiousity, I right-clik'd a hebrew lemma in LHI - search all resources. That produced a new search type:Bible, All Passages, NA27 Interlinear.  No longer NA28 w/apparatus. I guess SBL Greek NT also disappeared.

Posts 2577
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 3:34 PM

Denise,

I've created a case and asked the team to take a look.

Posts 10116
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 5:22 PM

Thank you!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS