Export Sermon File to PowerPoint in Logos 7.1

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 131
Tim Farley | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 4 2016 8:11 AM

Ok. I just updated to Logos 7.1 and read through the release notes. It mentions that slides exported to PowerPoint now have editable text. Well, I tried exporting a sermon just to see what it would look like. What a mess! The only slides that are useable are Scripture references. All of the slides with header text (H1, H2, etc) are all over the place. Some of the text is even upside down!

This is not an improvement. It will take more time to go through and edit the slides than I have available. At this point, I cannot use the sermon editor for effectively building a presentation.

Posts 131
Tim Farley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 8:14 AM

As I look at it more, it may be less work to correct the slides than I thought. It does look quite messy at first glance.

Posts 1030
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 8:18 AM

Hi Tim

To help developers, it would be good if you could post screen shots that show exactly what you mean. 

Thanks

Posts 131
Tim Farley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 10:12 AM

Richard Wardman:

Hi Tim

To help developers, it would be good if you could post screen shots that show exactly what you mean. 

Thanks

Here you go. I have made PowerPoints from a couple of other sermon files. Same results.

Posts 131
Tim Farley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 10:19 AM

I am also experiencing the issue below. When I open a sermon document in Logos, some of the slides show up. Some of them do not. I have been waiting for over an hour to see if it is just an issue of load time. That does not seem to be the case. I do not have the best internet, but I do have decent service with 6mb DSL.

Anyway, this was never a problem before.

Posts 313
Mike McKnelly | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 10:54 AM

I don't know if this suggestion will make it easier for you. But I found that if you select one subheading or one paragraph at a time and make your slide it seems to work better. If you try to do the whole sermon at once it doesn't seem to work at all. I know it doesn't work perfectly yet but it's a step in the right direction.

Posts 216
LogosEmployee

Tim Farley:
I have made PowerPoints from a couple of other sermon files.

Thanks for the issue report, Tim. Your screenshot is very helpful. We'll look into improving the export results.

A much requested change for Sermon Editor was to make the text editable in PowerPoint. This means we have to sacrifice some fidelity of font and layout for PowerPoint export. (Previously, they were images, and we had full control over the slide layout, but you weren't able to adjust things afterwards.) I know this isn't ideal, but you do now have the option to edit the font sizes and placement in PowerPoint after exporting. I recognize this is extra work for you, and I apologize for the inconvenience.

As for the other issue, of slide previews not loading in the editor view, your application log files would help us diagnose the problem.

Posts 131
Tim Farley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 11:51 AM

I just went in and created a new sermon through the editor. The results are much better. The screenshot above was from a sermon that I had already created previous to the 7.1 update that I tried to export to PowerPoint following the update.

Also, I am having no problems viewing slide previews in the editor while creating new sermon documents. It only seems to be a problem when opening old ones.

I can send log files, just let me know where to send them.

Thanks!

Posts 131
Tim Farley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 11:54 AM

Here is a screenshot of the new sermon. As I said, much better!

Posts 216
LogosEmployee

The issue of some of the past sermon slides not rendering was a server rendering issue. We've deployed an update that resolves this issue.

Posts 1030
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 5:10 AM

Jacob Carpenter (Faithlife):
A much requested change for Sermon Editor was to make the text editable in PowerPoint. This means we have to sacrifice some fidelity of font and layout for PowerPoint export. (Previously, they were images, and we had full control over the slide layout, but you weren't able to adjust things afterwards.) I know this isn't ideal, but you do now have the option to edit the font sizes and placement in PowerPoint after exporting.

Hi Jacob

I appreciate the ability to edit text in slides exported to PowerPoint, so thank you for that.

I also wonder if users could be given the option of exporting as editable slides or images. Some might prefer one over the other.

But, as I said, I'm extremely grateful for the whole Sermon Editor feature! I think it's just great. 

Thanks!

Posts 131
Tim Farley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 7:18 AM

The issue of some of the past sermon slides not rendering was a server rendering issue. We've deployed an update that resolves this issue.

Thank you for looking into this. Is this already fixed or will it be corrected in the next update? You mentioned it was on the server side, so I am not sure if I should still be experiencing this issue (which I am).

Thanks again!

Posts 216
LogosEmployee

Tim Farley:
You mentioned it was on the server side, so I am not sure if I should still be experiencing this issue (which I am).

Interesting. We're now unable to reproduce this issue internally (and we were able to when you originally reported it).

Did you leave the panels containing the sermons with non-rendering slides open, or did you close and reopen them? I would expect re-opening them to reload the slides.

Posts 131
Tim Farley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 10:24 AM

I closed them. In fact, the computer was completely shut down overnight. I booted it up this morning after reading your reply last night, opened Logos, and tried to open a sermon to see what would happen. Many of the slides are not rendering in the preview. I just opened a different sermon I had not tried. Same results.

Posts 131
Tim Farley | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 10:28 AM

A couple of observations:

1. When I open a sermon document, it renders some slides but not others. If I close that document and re-open it, the results are exactly the same (same slides render as before and same slides fail to render as before).

2. My original post was about how slides were a jumbled mess when exporting to PowerPoint. It seems that the slides that are jumbled are the same ones that do not render in the preview.

Don't know if that is helpful, but it is what I see.

Posts 216
LogosEmployee

Yes; it looks like there is an issue with some of the media in some of your old sermons. (A bit more technical: it looks like some of your media are using the layout information from the widescreen version, even though the 4x3 media is chosen.) We're investigating the cause.

Posts 131
Tim Farley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 6 2016 9:47 AM

Ok. Thank you for your help!

Posts 131
Tim Farley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Oct 14 2016 5:30 AM

We're investigating the cause.

Hi Jacob. I am wondering if there is any update on this. There was an update to Logos 7 that came through last night, but it does not seem to have fixed this issue. Thanks!

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS