Disappointing

Page 1 of 1 (17 items)
This post has 16 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 139
Stephen Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Oct 4 2016 7:29 PM

having just bought  Rick Warren's Bible study methods book I was sad to see this mess starting chapter 2:

THE CHAPTER SUMMARY TIMES, ASKING A SERIES OF CONTENTMETHOD OF BIBLE STUDY

seems like something even the most cursory QA pass should have caught.

Posts 26529
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 4 2016 7:33 PM

This type of error is best reported via the Report Typo option in the right click menu ... the automated process will ensure it is noticed for the next update.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3678
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 1:32 AM

I think there is a use for Stephen's post here. He has a point as this is not just a typo, but a problem of process when something this bad gets through. His post brings attention to it. And he should, of course, also report it with the typo option.

Posts 5020
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 1:42 AM

Stephen Smith:

having just bought  Rick Warren's Bible study methods book I was sad to see this mess starting chapter 2:

THE CHAPTER SUMMARY TIMES, ASKING A SERIES OF CONTENTMETHOD OF BIBLE STUDY

seems like something even the most cursory QA pass should have caught.

confirming the problem - the yellow highlighted text looks to be erroneously inserted into the text of the chapter heading.

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 1:42 AM

Francis:
He has a point as this is not just a typo, but a problem of process when something this bad gets through.

I do a fair amount of proof-reading for a British magazine. I'm the final proof-reader, so it's already been proof-read twice before it gets to me, and I still find errors. Interestingly enough, it's the headings where you're most likely to find mistakes, as your eye tends to skip over them as you hunt for errors in the text.

When Logos books are produced from publishers' files, it's not Logos' job to check for typos. Their job is to add links, etc., which are never added to chapter headings. So I can easily imagine the production person's eye skipping over this title as they hunted for Bible references or other links.

I'm not saying that makes it OK, but I am trying to be realistic about the process.

Posts 26529
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 2:34 AM

Francis:
I think there is a use for Stephen's post here. He has a point as this is not just a typo, but a problem of process when something this bad gets through. His post brings attention to it. And he should, of course, also report it with the typo option.

I have no objection to typos being posted here. I do want to make sure people know that reporting via typo will ensure that it is seen in a way posting here does not.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3678
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 3:01 AM

Beer

Posts 139
Stephen Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 4:35 AM

Thanks MJ for pointing out the 'report typo' feature.  I never knew that was there. 

I friend of mine has the same book on Kindle which does not have the problem and he was able to tell me what it should say.  Otherwise it was rather twisted looking.  I have reported it. 

Having said that, I assume Amazon gets books into its' Kindle format in much the same way as Logos.  Maybe Amazon does it a different way or the proofreading step is more robust?  Who knows.  This particular issue is not a typo from the publisher as the Kindle version and I assume the print version does not suffer this problem.  I would think that the problem falls on Logos in how they converted this book?

Regardless, hopefully I will not run into it again.  I was able to determine what it saying by looking at the table of contents.  If problem happened in middle of chapter somewhere it could be really confusing Wink

Posts 13360
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 5:07 AM

Disciple of Christ (doc):
the yellow highlighted text looks to be erroneously inserted into the text of the chapter heading.

Yes. It comes from the top of the next page. It's very random - almost as though someone has accidentally dragged or copied the phrase whilst editing the document.

Posts 744
Armin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 6:21 AM

MJ. Smith:

This type of error is best reported via the Report Typo option in the right click menu ... the automated process will ensure it is noticed for the next update.

So far, I have submitted many errors but not seen any corrections based on my submissions.

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 5 2016 8:56 AM

Armin:

So far, I have submitted many errors but not seen any corrections based on my submissions.

If the error is on the publisher side, you may never. If the error is on FL's side it could be weeks or years. Tongue Tied FL normally doesn't push updates for "one offs." They send an update when the entire resource has been reviewed (typos, added tagging, etc.)

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 323
Vincent Chia | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 6 2016 4:44 AM

Armin:

MJ. Smith:

I have spotted numerous typos in my studies. But what bother me most are errors in basic language texts for seminary students, for example, Mounce's Basics of Biblical Greek. These errors are difficult to spot (wrong Greek word, wrong grammer etc). But if such errors were memorized by language students, it will be deleterious to their seminary studies.

Even though I have submitted the typos to Logos, the error is still in the text 6 months down the road. Makes me wonder if anyone is recording the typos.

Director

Elyon Family Clinic & Surgery Pte Ltd

Singapore

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 6 2016 10:44 AM

Vincent Chia:
I have spotted numerous typos in my studies.

Have you verified these errors are or are not present in the original?

Posts 323
Vincent Chia | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 6 2016 6:04 PM

alabama24:

Vincent Chia:
I have spotted numerous typos in my studies.

Have you verified these errors are or are not present in the original?

Yes I have. I have both the print and Logos version of most books/commentaries/texts.

Director

Singapore

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 6 2016 6:08 PM

Vincent Chia:
Yes I have.

Well? Don't leave us hanging! Are they present in the print edition or aren't they? If they aren't, can you verify that they are the same edition (check dates). 

Posts 323
Vincent Chia | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 6 2016 6:23 PM

alabama24:

Vincent Chia:
Yes I have.

Well? Don't leave us hanging! Are they present in the print edition or aren't they? If they aren't, can you verify that they are the same edition (check dates). 

Hang on there! The errors were only present in Logos editions. Same edition. For Mounce, I have all the editions of BBG :D

Director

Singapore

Posts 27681
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 6 2016 8:12 PM

Thanks for clarification Smile Yes

Page 1 of 1 (17 items) | RSS