Finding more search ideas than suggested by the context menu

Page 1 of 1 (8 items)
This post has 7 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 3646
Francis | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Oct 9 2016 6:21 AM

So here I was study John 6 and I had need to look up where else the resurrection is spoken of in John. I did not want to do a mere lemma or word search since this is too limiting. My usual approach is to investigate the context menu to see how a relevant passage was tagged and launch the initial search from there. 

I tried to search senses, but it was too restrictive. I would either get the verb or the noun but not both. Supersets were too broad, subsets were not it. I did not want to do a x AND y AND z AND... type of search. To make a long story short, I found nothing from the context menu that worked.

But I did find something elsewhere...

I explored the "Topic" section of the Passage Guide on a relevant passage for ideas. It gave me a good topic to look for: eschatology. Turned out it was a preaching theme and one can even get specifically "Eschatology: Resurrection". Looked for it in the Bible tab, but was unhappy with how the results were displayed. The Bible section breaks down the results in individual verses but the theme pertains to a section (so it looks like there are irrelevant verses). In the end, I was happy with searching the Basic tab for {Section <PreachingTheme Eschatology: Resurrection>} WITHIN {Milestone <John 1-21>} in my default Bible. Worked great.

The point of the story is this: it would have been difficult for me to spot "eschatology:resurrection" from the context menu, but using the PG gave me more ideas. 

So I'm passing along this experience in case it can be helpful to some. 

Posts 13307
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 6:38 AM

Francis:
The point of the story is this: it would have been difficult for me to spot "eschatology:resurrection" from the context menu, but using the PG gave me more ideas. 

The information panel is also good for this. I usually keep the "Other References" and "Preaching Themes" sections open when I'm using a Bible.

Posts 3646
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 9:37 AM

Yes

Posts 8848
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 9 2016 11:32 AM

Mark Barnes:
I usually keep the "Other References" and "Preaching Themes" sections open when I'm using a Bible.

I use the info panel a lot but thanks for the reminder to keep these sections open.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 3646
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2016 10:03 PM

It's also easy not to notice that certain items in the context menu are now expandable headers. Here it looks like there is only one preaching theme:

But when one clicks on the arrow to expand,one gets:

Same thing for literary typing and for figures of speech in the first screenshot.

IMO, it would be better if -- instead of showing one item, they showed a heading instead (Preaching Themes; Literary Types; Figures of Speech). I think users would probably recognise more easily that they are supposed to expand the category to see its content. Also, I am not sure why there is inversion of category-instance as in specifictheme Preaching Theme vs Figure of Speech specifictype. Actually, I am sure there must be a reason, but I wonder whether it would not make more sense from a user perspective to have them in the same order. Using expandable headers would take care of that as well.

Posts 26104
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2016 10:58 PM

Francis:
instead of showing one item, they showed a heading instead (Preaching Themes; Literary Types; Figures of Speech).

I find the triangle/arrow head to be a sufficient clue as it has the same behavior everwhere.

Francis:
why there is inversion of category-instance as in specifictheme Preaching Theme vs Figure of Speech specifictype.

good point ... I prefer a standard of general ==> specific but I think they are currently consistent within category i.e. all labels are the same, all the datatypes are the same ...

I'd also like to see the ordering principle of the entries be a bit more obvious.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3646
Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 11 2016 12:05 AM

MJ. Smith:
it has the same behavior everwhere

Not exactly: An expanding arrow is normally applied to a super-ordinate entity which the expanding list details further. This is not the case here: "Faith" which is found as a theme once one expands "Death and Dying" is not a sub-theme of it. 

Posts 26104
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 11 2016 1:31 AM

Francis:
Not exactly: An expanding arrow is normally applied to a super-ordinate entity which the expanding list details further. This is not the case here: "Faith" which is found as a theme once one expands "Death and Dying" is not a sub-theme of it. 

True ... different level of abstraction ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Page 1 of 1 (8 items) | RSS