"Freeze The Data" in Info Panel: Incorrect hot hey

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 988
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Oct 10 2016 3:13 AM

I was exploring the Information panel (which I've never really paid much attention to until now).

Read in Morris' L6 Training Guide Vol 1:

FREEZE THE DATA

If you’re updating Information as the cursor rests on words, you may discover the data changes as you try to move the cursor inside the panel to work there.

To freeze the data so it doesn’t change even though you move the cursor to a different word:
■ Rest the cursor on a word to get the data you want inside the Information panel
■ Hold down the Ctrl key or Cmd key
■ Move the cursor inside the Information panel
■ Release the key
■ Notice the data has not changed inside the panel

Morris Proctor, Logos 6: Training Manual (vol. 1; Murfreesboro, TN: MP Seminars, 2015), 102.

And also in Logos Help:

4. Moving the mouse cursor over another word in the text will bring up information on the new word. To move the cursor without changing the content, hold the Cmd key down (Mac) or Ctrl key down (Win).

Logos Help (Bellingham, WA: Faithlife, 2016).

But when I tried holding down Ctrl and moving to the Info panel to freeze data it did not work. Info refreshed when I hovered over a different word. 

I tried Alt instead - it worked! 

So both the Training Guide and Logos Help are incorrect.

You're welcome!

Posts 25100
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 10 2016 2:24 PM

Richard Wardman:

But when I tried holding down Ctrl and moving to the Info panel to freeze data it did not work. Info refreshed when I hovered over a different word. 

I tried Alt instead - it worked! 

I tried both keys and had problems with both. For a more reliable method click on the panel menu (little down arrow) and select  Update on: Click

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 2724
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 11 2016 4:23 PM

Richard Wardman:

So both the Training Guide and Logos Help are incorrect.

Richard both CTL on Windows and CMD on Mac work as expected. Is this on a specific Operating System?

Posts 988
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 4:21 AM

I'm using Windows 10.

Before, I could only get ALT to work. Today, neither CTL nor ALT work! 

Posts 2724
LogosEmployee
Philana R. Crouch | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Oct 12 2016 9:31 AM

Richard Wardman:

I'm using Windows 10.

Before, I could only get ALT to work. Today, neither CTL nor ALT work! 

Richard,

I'm unable to reproduce this problem, if this continues you can switch your install to stable and contact Customer Service.

Posts 2133
LogosEmployee

Richard Wardman:

This makes it sound like you held down Ctrl, then moved your mouse to the info panel, then released Ctrl, then moved your mouse back to the resource. Is that correct? If so, that's not how the feature works. In hover mode, the information panel will update every time you move your mouse over a word unless the Ctrl key is held down.

Alt key usage is not an intentional behavior. I wouldn't rely on it working. I suspect if you hit down arrow at a point when the Alt key caused the application to not update the Information panel, you would get a Windows menu for moving and resizing the window. This is handled by the Windows operating system, and prevents the mouse movement from being properly seen by the application.

Posts 988
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 13 2016 3:58 AM

Andrew Batishko (Faithlife):
This makes it sound like you held down Ctrl, then moved your mouse to the info panel, then released Ctrl, then moved your mouse back to the resource. Is that correct? If so, that's not how the feature works. In hover mode, the information panel will update every time you move your mouse over a word unless the Ctrl key is held down.

Andrew this clears up the problem. Morris' Guide makes is sound as though the user must hold down CTL, then move the cursor into the Info panel, then release CTL. Or at least that's how I read it! 

Alt key usage is not an intentional behavior.

This does seem to work for me, but not consistently.

Dave Hooton:
For a more reliable method click on the panel menu (little down arrow) and select  Update on: Click

This is clearly the best option if you don't want the Info panel to be constantly updating as you move around! 

Thanks for all the help, and apologies for any confusion caused.

Posts 2133
LogosEmployee

Richard Wardman:

Andrew this clears up the problem. Morris' Guide makes is sound as though the user must hold down CTL, then move the cursor into the Info panel, then release CTL. Or at least that's how I read it! 

I think the perspective of that documentation is for users who want to interact with the info panel. So, hold down Ctrl to allow you to get your mouse over to the info panel without the word changing. Then once you are there, you can release Ctrl and interact with that panel normally.

Posts 988
Richard Wardman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Oct 13 2016 6:55 AM

I think the perspective of that documentation is for users who want to interact with the info panel. So, hold down Ctrl to allow you to get your mouse over to the info panel without the word changing. Then once you are there, you can release Ctrl and interact with that panel normally.

Yes That makes sense!

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS