Search seems to miss a result

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 72
Andrew116 | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Oct 16 2016 7:48 PM

This search:  lemma:ἔπειτα NEAR lemma:εἶτα   should seem to return 1 Corinthians 15:23-24, but it doesn't:

Posts 31861
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 16 2016 9:03 PM

Don't you need to switch to Basic mode to cross the verse boundary?

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 72
Andrew116 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 16 2016 9:20 PM

Hmm that did work. But is this how one intuitively expects search to work?

If I was hoping to get a sense of how Paul uses those adverbs together, I would have expected that search to cross verse boundaries automatically...

Posts 31861
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 16 2016 9:42 PM

Each of the searches has a unit that it searches ... basic is an "article", Bible and morph are a "verse", Clause is a clause ... I don't know Syntax ...

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 72
Andrew116 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Oct 16 2016 11:24 PM

This seems to me something that would be worth changing. 

Default behaviour for a Bible search, especially using the operator 'near' should span verse divisions, right?

Posts 31861
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 17 2016 12:48 AM

Andrew116:
Default behaviour for a Bible search, especially using the operator 'near' should span verse divisions, right?

The question is what is a better segment? If looking for two words do you really what to span a book? a chapter?

Posts 72
Andrew116 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 17 2016 1:26 AM

Surely the NEAR operator is able to filter it out. I'd be wanting to search for anytime they occur within a meaningful unit. As 1 Cor 15:23-24 demonstrates, this sometimes spans a verse division. 

In my mind, it's within 10-30 words, regardless of versification which dates back only a few centuries (in the NT anyway). 

Posts 31861
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 17 2016 2:47 AM

Something closer to your approach is being implemented in the beta morph grid search. I prefer to think in terms of pericope and sentence rather than chapter and verse but I understand why Logos defined it as they have.

Posts 72
Andrew116 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Oct 17 2016 12:15 PM

i think the default behaviour here should be changed. Since Logos presents itself as a way to quickly do research into the text, I ran this search to see how these two words were used in proximity to each other, and would have come away from this search thinking it only occurs once...

Posts 26501
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Oct 18 2016 4:39 AM

Andrew116:
Surely the NEAR operator is able to filter it out.

The range of all operators is determined by the type of search --> verse in Bible & Morph, article/chapter in Basic. AND, OR, WITHIN, etc. are constrained to finding results within that division of the text. WITHIN & NEAR further constrain results by proximity e.g WITHIN 3 WORDS. NEAR is shorthand for WITHIN 48 CHARACTERS (abt. 8-10 words), so it may not suit all of your searches.

Syntax Search is a viable alternative as the range is not determined by verses and chapters, but by the grammatical Clauses or Phrases you specify. That would only give you 1 Cor 15:7, however, because that is the only place where they are related within a Clause!

So, for your purposes, you should perform a Basic search with Bible Text instead of All Text; where the range is a bible chapter.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS