LOGOS vs. Google

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 23 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 4768
Forum MVP
Fred Chapman | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 3 2016 4:53 PM

Sean Boisen:
That being said, we certainly recognize that search is fundamental for most users, and that we need to do more to make it simpler, more effective, and more powerful (all at the same time!).

To me this should be a top priority.

Posts 29375
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 3 2016 6:17 PM

Fredc:

Sean Boisen:
That being said, we certainly recognize that search is fundamental for most users, and that we need to do more to make it simpler, more effective, and more powerful (all at the same time!).

To me this should be a top priority.

I believe that there are some steps that could be taken that would help - based on recent, unpleasant experience:

• make sure the documentation is complete: no place told me that search fields were ignored by search extensions.
  • make sure limitations are clear: one cannot mix lists and logical operators even when one uses parens showing the correct operational sequence
  • make sure changes are highlighted: L4 we were told to use <topic> for topic searches but the recent changes have decreased the number of results, encyclopedias are where I noticed it
  • make sure changes are highlighted: think datatypes that suddenly have to be in the {Section} format
  • generally, the user will assume that if they have two searches that work individually that with an appropriate operator the searches can be combined. When this is not true we MUST have the search argument turn red to tell us there is a problem.
  • generally, the user will assume that if they get a reasonable number of results the search worked; unfortunately when one writes multiple queries that appear to request the same thing, different results show that we get results from invalid search strings with no indication there is a problem. Invalid search strings must turn red to tell us there is a problem.
  • when I use a Logos tag search, I have no way to tell which resources were or were not searched ... combined with not knowing if the search string was valid or not this ensures I have no faith in the results
  • make sure I can always see the coding to verify the search results - semantic roles and other clausal elements are the worst offenders
  • be consistent ... give me the search for the Commandments of the Law, for example
  • make the search options "hidden" in the resource menu visible in the search statement itself so screen prints show what the search really is
  • make the range of the search explicit - verse, pericope, article ...

Note this is list is not getting into complex searches, original language, morphology, syntax ... this is the simple stuff that the average user should be able to do without explicitly studying advanced searches. Or to put it succinctly, most Bible searches and plain text are reasonably reliable; outside of these, Logos provides me with a great random sample tool under the guise of search.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2278
GaoLu | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 3 2016 6:43 PM

MJ. Smith:
Invalid search strings must turn red to tell us there is a problem.

Yes

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Nov 3 2016 8:05 PM

Gao Lu:

MJ. Smith:
Invalid search strings must turn red to tell us there is a problem.

Yes

Not like changing color of search string (since know some people with color blindness).

Like idea of showing search string has issue(s), which could be changing circle with arrow to Yield Sign when search string is incomplete: e.g. opening < lacks corresponding closing > for topic search:

Awesome would be hovering mouse over Yield sign for pop-up with message(s) about what is incomplete/invalid in search string.

Clicking Yield Sign (or pressing <enter>) would run search with issue(s).

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 2 of 2 (24 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS