Unread Portions of a Resource

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 268
Andrew | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Nov 19 2016 7:38 PM

It looks like Logos tracks which portions of my resources I have viewed/read.  Is there a way to find the portions I haven't read...so I can...

Posts 3076
Whyndell Gizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 20 2016 3:45 AM

This is why I wish they had developed a good "bookmark" function- with thoudands of books many in which only portions get read due to the nature of using them as research reources.

Posts 58
greypilgrim | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 20 2016 10:25 AM

Since each book opens where you left off reading, what function would your bookmark feature. Wouldl you be able to put bookmarks in several locations? How would you access them? through a tap in the whatever they call it bar over the resource?

John H Pavelko

Crossroads Presbyterian Church

Walled Lake MI

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 20 2016 12:41 PM

I just use Control-Shift-1 to make one bookmark and return to it later as needed.  I do think that basic bookmarking within a resource should be easy to discern and do though.  This should surprise no one who reads the forums though....one more example from me of an interface (I think they might still call it a front-end in programming terms)  in need of fine tuning from the ground up.  I understand learning curves I hope 8.0 (when or if it is ever released) has some easier usage built in. 

At least the Android app has some graphical buttons with Bible book abbreviations.  Wonder why Windows doesn't...oh yah, there is no dedicated Windows App or touch functionality.

Sigh.

I dream of a day when Logos advertising features a group of people in a round Bible study and several of the attendees are using Windows Tablets and/or Ipads to look up passages, pronounce words, and otherwise be of use to the assembled/gathered body and in the ad someone leans over asking "What is that you are using?".  The response: "It is this awesome Windows app called Logos - isn't it great?  I can point to a word in my Bible and it says it aloud for me. I can look up verses quickly and easily and even pull up a map of the location we are reading about.  I can even easily switch to other Bible translations so when it comes my turn to read I am ready and I have something great to offer the group in terms of additional information."

In reality currently - while a Logos user flounders - the group leader would probably gently say "Next".

Posts 24475
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 20 2016 1:33 PM

Andrew:
It looks like Logos tracks which portions of my resources I have viewed/read.

Not sure what you are referring to, but Logos can't track unread portions. You can only bookmark a resource using Favorites and return to where you finished reading.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 26014
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 20 2016 2:12 PM

Andrew:
 Is there a way to find the portions I haven't read...so I can...

It is imperfect but gives a general area ... where there are no wear marks on the slider bar is where you have not read.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 268
Andrew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 20 2016 3:08 PM

MJ. Smith:

It is imperfect but gives a general area ... where there are no wear marks on the slider bar is where you have not read.

Yup, that is what I am referring to.  There is no way to locate these "unworn" portions more precisely?  A visual filter would be amazing...

Posts 268
Andrew | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Nov 20 2016 3:16 PM

JoshInRI:
I dream of a day when Logos advertising features a group of people in a round Bible study

Moving the hermeneutical power of Logos into the small group / Bible study context would be powerful.  Although I have spent a bunch of time thinking about this, I'm still not exactly sure what that would look like.

Perhaps we should reopen a previous forum discussion (https://community.logos.com/forums/p/118979/781148.aspx) since this isn't really related to my question in this tread about unread portions of resources.

Posts 239
Claude Brown Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Nov 21 2016 3:42 PM

It would look like a program that was fully functional no matter the resource being used. Currently the mixture of of resources from the library to the datasets to media all function extremely slowly. For example the "Bible Backgrounds:*" will display only if on the internet and then will only export some panels and not the rest.

Posts 268
Andrew | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 28 2019 10:06 AM

Andrew:

MJ. Smith:

Yup, that is what I am referring to.  There is no way to locate these "unworn" portions more precisely?  A visual filter would be amazing...

I am still wondering if there is a solution to locating unread portions of a resource...Maybe there is a new option in Logos 8?

Whyndell Gizzard:
...with thousands of books many in which only portions get read due to the nature of using them as research resources.

Whyndell is correct that often books are first used as research/reference resources and eventually I decide I want to read the entire book...But not necessarily the portions I have already read.

The scenario I am currently facing is using a devotional.  I love that the devotional automatically goes to today's date, but how to I find the days that I have missed?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS