Figurative language searches

Page 1 of 1 (4 items)
This post has 3 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 1004
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Nov 30 2016 3:12 PM

I am trying to get a handle on searching the figurative language tags in the Bible resources. The Lexham Figurative Language of the Bible Glossary resource documents the tags, but searching is still a challenge.

I would like to be able to search for all of the examples of metaphor, regardless of whether they are classified as Structural, Ontological Entity, etc. What is the best way to do this? It appears from the documentation that the top level of the hierarchy is Metaphor, but it appears I need to enter all levels of the hierarchy to get any results:

{Section <FigurativeLanguageCategory = Metaphor, Ontological, Entity>}

I tried this but it failed:

{Section <FigurativeLanguageCategory = Metaphor>}

Is there a syntax to use wildcards in a search? This did not work:

{Section <FigurativeLanguageCategory = Metaphor, *, *>}

Posts 881
Justin Gatlin | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 30 2016 4:26 PM

Try the tilde instead. I am not sure what it is called as a Logos operator, but in my head it is the "includes" symbol.

{Section <FigurativeLanguageCategory ~ Metaphor>}

{Section <FigurativeLanguageCategory ~ Metaphor, Ontological>} also works. So I think you can use that operator whenever you are only using the higher level terms, and an equals sign when you have all of them. You cannot use {Section <FigurativeLanguageCategory ~ Entity>} as a shorthand for the longer form. 

Posts 24839
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 30 2016 6:30 PM

Harry Hahne:
The Lexham Figurative Language of the Bible Glossary resource documents the tags, but searching is still a challenge.

The Glossary uses a {Label Figurative Language ...} search term. A search from the Context menu will give the required syntax, which is also  {Label Figurative Language ...}.

{Label Figurative Language WHERE Category ~ <FigurativeLanguageCategory Metaphor, Ontological, Entity>} works and {Section <FigurativeLanguageCategory ~ Metaphor, Ontological, Entity>} gives the same results.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 1004
Harry Hahne | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Nov 30 2016 8:48 PM

Justin Gatlin:

Try the tilde instead. I am not sure what it is called as a Logos operator, but in my head it is the "includes" symbol.

{Section <FigurativeLanguageCategory ~ Metaphor>}

This is what I was looking for. This includes all of the subcategories of metaphors, such as Ontological and Structural. Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 (4 items) | RSS