Tip: How to do a fresh reinstall of Logos4

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 73
Bill Bougie | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Mar 13 2010 6:22 AM

Over the past 2 weekends I did several tests on how to reinstall Logos4 and the following is what I learned.  This is based on a fresh reinstall (not new install) of Logos4 on a freshly wiped and formatted hard drive with Windows 7 installed and is intended for those that do not want to endure a long re-download of their books. 

Based on my experience, here are the steps I recommend:

1. Backup your Resource folder to another location (Unless you have a very fast internet connection, re-downloading your resources is not worth the time.)

2. Download the Logos4 exe file from Logos.com

3. Follow the Logos4 installation steps.

4. After installation, Logos4 will attempt to log-in.  Cancel the log-in by clicking on the small X in the right corner.

5. While pressing the Control key, click to start Logos4. 

Since this is the initial start of Logos4, the control key may or may not prevent Logos4 from downloading books.  I had mixed results.  You may receive the message "Preparing to download".  Watch your screen closely.  If Logos4 displays "Downloading resources" cancel it immediately by clicking on the Logos4 icon in the notification area in your Windows taskbar.

After Logos4 launches, your library should be empty.  Based on my testing, Logos4 will synchronize some, but not all of your settings.  My font preference and zoom settings were not synchronized.  However, your library should be empty.

6. Within Logos4, scan your library on your hard drive.  For example, in the Logos4 command bar type, scan d:\backup\resources.  Wait a few seconds and then exit Logos4.

7. Press the control key and click to start Logos4. 

This time you will see an option to "Work Offline". Click on it.  Logos4 will "Prepare your Library".  In other words it is copying your books from your backup location to your hidden Logos4 appdata folder.  This will take several minutes.  Logos4 will then reindex your library.

8. Delete the Logos4 log files in your Documents folder.

9. Start Logos4 normally the next time and any updates, etc. will be downloaded.  This should be a small download.

These steps will prevent Logos4 from re-downloading all of your resources.  Also the above method not only prevents the long internet re-download, but also prevents a re-download of your deleted books.

Hope this helps.

Posts 15643
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Mar 13 2010 7:08 AM

Thanks. This looks helpful. I've added it to the Tips from the Forum page on the wiki.

Posts 16557
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 14 2010 3:00 AM

Hi Bill

This is similar to Method 3 at  http://wiki.logos.com/Quick_Installation_onto_multiple_computers   - we have different ways to prevent the initial download.

I'm updating Method 1 soon as I think it can be more reliable and it saves indexing as well as downloading.

4.0b is also going to make things a little easier provided one performs a custom install.

Dave
===

Windows PC, Android phone

Posts 7588
Forum MVP
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 14 2010 5:37 AM

Bill Bougie:

Based on my testing, Logos4 will synchronize some, but not all of your settings.  My font preference and zoom settings were not synchronized.

This is by design. Preferences which users may well want different on different machines are not synced. These are:

• Internet connection (on/off)
  • Auto update (on/off)
  • Update channel (beta or default)
  • Program scaling

Everything else (including font, I think) should sync.

Posts 73
Bill Bougie | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 14 2010 10:44 AM

Looking forward to the custom install feature on 4.0b.

I think the method I described, and other similar methods, are a little too complicated for the average user.

Posts 16557
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Mar 14 2010 3:32 PM

Bill Bougie:
I think the method I described, and other similar methods, are a little too complicated for the average user.

I agree - hence the warnings!  If you have the RC2 of 4.0b you can try Method 2 and save both indexing and downloading - it is proving to be so robust that I have not used Method 3 in a while.

Dave
===

Windows PC, Android phone

Posts 6
David Bayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2010 3:23 PM

A couple of questions about the procedure for a custom installation.

I don't have any folder called "random" under \Logos4\Data, or \Logos4\Documents\

Maybe "random" means "*" as in a wildcard for any subfolder under those paths - but then the instructions say not to delete the random folder but only its subfolders, which indicates to me one level lower than the "random" folder. But if so, then I cannot identify this random folder.

sorry if I am confused - I want to install Logos on my Win 7 laptop and I'm a bit nervous about this first try at a custom install.

Thanks,

David

Posts 1124
Rick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2010 3:35 PM

David Bayne:
I don't have any folder called "random" under \Logos4\Data, or \Logos4\Documents\

Hi David, you are correct. It is a randomly generated folder name during installation, mine is  named rikks1nj.znw/ and is located at: file:///C:/Users/Rick/AppData/Local/Logos4/Data/rikks1nj.znw/

Peace  Smile

Romans 14:19 (NRSV)
19 Let us then pursue what makes for peace and for mutual upbuilding.

Posts 6
David Bayne | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 31 2010 6:28 PM

Hi Rick,

Thanks - I had misunderstood the term "random". Now it all makes sense.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS