Convert Kindle books to Logos?

Page 2 of 3 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 51 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 3187
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 12 2017 8:20 PM

Thanks for the tool - any way to make it full screen? also- not sure if I am using it properly- notes are kind of sketchy, moving from 1 to 2- do you have to click 2 evertime you scroll one page in 1? 

Posts 2314
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 12 2017 9:01 PM

I remember having access to Word Online before I had an Office 365 subscription (maybe not the full feature set though) - but a Microsoft account is generally sufficient for opening documents and basic editing capabilities.

Past IT Consultant. Past Mission Worker. Entrepreneur. Future Seminary Student.
Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 2314
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 12 2017 11:07 PM

Whyndell Grizzard:
Thanks for the tool - any way to make it full screen?

Definitely, after I've added all the other ideas that have come up in this thread.

Whyndell Grizzard:
also- not sure if I am using it properly- notes are kind of sketchy, moving from 1 to 2- do you have to click 2 evertime you scroll one page in 1? 

Currently it exports about 1 chapter at a time (current page + about the ten following ones).

I'm already working on an automation to avoid manual scrolling.

Why Amazon sucks: Full background story of my legal dispute with the online giant

Posts 1838
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 12 2017 11:17 PM

Jan Krohn:
If you open Word on https://www.office.com/ (online version), and paste the book into there, all images are preserved. You can then download a local copy, and continue editing the document offline.

Jan can you explain what you mean by "paste the book"? I am having some difficulty.

I use your excellent program to get a book into the right hand side of your utility. Then I click the 3rd button and save the HTML file. I open that file in MSWord 2016 then save as a docx and upload to my OneDrive folder. When I open office.com and try to open the file from my OneDrive then I get an error. (When I tried to open the HTML in Word Online it said that the file type was not supported).

Everything is coming into the HTML file and everything is converting from HTML to docx except the graphics. It is a little tedious to use the snipping tool to copy the graphics from the Kindle for PC app then pasting the graphics into the docx file.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 2314
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 13 2017 12:48 AM

Sure. It's much simpler than what you did. Within the downloader. click in the right side panel, mark all (ctrl+a), copy (ctrl+c), and then paste that into Word Online.

My work-in-progress already has a "copy all" button for that. If nothing goes wrong, I'll upload that version tonight.

Posts 1838
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 13 2017 3:19 AM

Jan Krohn:
My work-in-progress already has a "copy all" button for that. If nothing goes wrong, I'll upload that version tonight.

Thanks Jan, I appreciate this utility as well as your free book email list!

I am having trouble pasting into word online - maybe the book I am copying is too long or perhaps my internet bandwidth is an issue. When I paste into word online it says "saving the document" then I get an error that the document was not saved. I may try some smaller portions and see if that makes a difference.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 3187
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 13 2017 6:38 AM

Finished a test book- worked well- formatting was minimal and the overall look of the book was good. Was a ble to reconstruct tables and insert JPG easily. 

Posts 301
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 13 2017 8:04 AM

Jan Krohn:

I remember having access to Word Online before I had an Office 365 subscription (maybe not the full feature set though) - but a Microsoft account is generally sufficient for opening documents and basic editing capabilities.

FYI - Have Office 365, can't get all things working. Saving book as HTML, copying, "attempting" to paste into online Word. Could be the books are too large, too many charts/graphics, but it hasn't worked yet. I have plenty of Interenet speed so that's not an issue as I can see it. But, still working on the process.

In the meantime, back at the ranch, opening HTML in Chrome, printing a PDF through Acrobat Pro, opening Acrobat Pro and Exporting as a Word document. Several steps but it works pretty well. Thank you Jan for your work here . . .

Posts 2718
Kevin A. Purcell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 13 2017 8:14 AM

Jan Krohn:

I've created a small tool that can convert Kindle to HTML without removing (or even touching) the DRM. Actually this thread here got me first thinking about the idea.

https://www.heidoc.net/joomla/amazon-global/81-amazon-kindle-ebook-downloader

I can't use this to log in. Keeps saying my password is incorrect, but I know for certain I'm entering the right one.

Posts 2314
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 13 2017 8:25 AM

Kevin A. Purcell:
I can't use this to log in. Keeps saying my password is incorrect, but I know for certain I'm entering the right one.

Use the countries dropdown to select your location so you can log into the correct Amazon account. It should auto-detect your location, but that maybe not 100% accurate...

Posts 29
Skycaptain50 | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 13 2017 11:03 AM

I cannot get the Kindle Cloud reader to open in the left window. 

"We're sorry. Kindle Cloud Reader is not currently available on this browser. You can read on your phone or tablet by downloading a free Kindle app now."

I have all the browsers listed on my laptop, but none of them show up in the HeiDoc window.
Any help?  

Posts 2314
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 13 2017 7:15 PM

Skycaptain50:

I cannot get the Kindle Cloud reader to open in the left window. 

"We're sorry. Kindle Cloud Reader is not currently available on this browser. You can read on your phone or tablet by downloading a free Kindle app now."

I have all the browsers listed on my laptop, but none of them show up in the HeiDoc window.
Any help?

Run one of the two registry files contained in this archive:

https://1drv.ms/u/s!As_fPVpP5WzhgY8VBLDruegALTSIYg

If you have IE 10, then run IE10.reg. If you have IE11, then run IE11.reg,

It should have been done automatically by the downloader... Not sure why it didn't work for you...

Posts 1838
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2017 9:55 AM

Jerry Smith:
copying, "attempting" to paste into online Word. Could be the books are too large, too many charts/graphics, but it hasn't worked yet.

I concur. This is the challenge I am having. That is why I tried the long way around of saving in Word2016 then trying to open in WordOnline.

Posts 2314
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2017 10:17 AM

David Thomas:

I concur. This is the challenge I am having. That is why I tried the long way around of saving in Word2016 then trying to open in WordOnline.

Apparently Microsoft has known about this issue since 2009, and not acted on it yet :-(
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9d0c628b-d6e4-4ab8-8f6c-c4c05b7f01e3/does-microsoft-word-read-xhtml-properly?forum=innovateonoffice

Anyway, I've just uploaded a new version that has a copy button and a print button, and can also handle Topaz books.
https://www.heidoc.net/amazon/eBook%20Downloader.exe

I'm still researching on auto-scrolling, but Amazon doesn't make that easily possible. They're quite clever for a multi billion dollar corporation...

Posts 3187
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 14 2017 10:29 AM

Jan

I will assume "copy all" is for whats in #2 only- and not the whole book, correct?

Posts 2314
Jan Krohn | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 15 2017 9:41 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:

I will assume "copy all" is for whats in #2 only- and not the whole book, correct?

Yes, just panel #2 for now.

I'm still not giving up on auto browsing yet... Next week, next try...

Posts 1838
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2017 8:57 AM

Jan Krohn:

Apparently Microsoft has known about this issue since 2009, and not acted on it yet :-(
https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/9d0c628b-d6e4-4ab8-8f6c-c4c05b7f01e3/does-microsoft-word-read-xhtml-properly?forum=innovateonoffice

Anyway, I've just uploaded a new version that has a copy button and a print button, and can also handle Topaz books.
https://www.heidoc.net/amazon/eBook%20Downloader.exe

Thank you for your hard work and generosity in sharing this utility with the Forum!

Posts 948
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2017 10:34 AM

Mike Hanson (Faithlife):

I adjusted your post count and Graham is correct with the cause.

Mike,

Would it be possible to update my post count as well.  I updated my e-mail some months back.

Posts 301
Jerry Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 16 2017 11:45 AM

David Thomas:
Thank you for your hard work and generosity in sharing this utility with the Forum!
I second this thank you! I've already moved several books to Logos and love being able to search and link to them!

Posts 3187
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 28 2017 2:21 PM

I appreciate your efforts but I can't get the hang of this- every book so far I have just deleted can't get them right.

Page 2 of 3 (52 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS