Todays 12 days of Logos

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 677
Robert Peters | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Dec 23 2016 11:39 AM

Is the New International Dictionary of Theology and Exegesis: Old and New Testament (10 vols.) worth it. What makes it different than the other dictionaries. 

Posts 2766
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2016 1:59 PM

Robert Peters:

Is the New International Dictionary of Theology and Exegesis: Old and New Testament (10 vols.) worth it. What makes it different than the other dictionaries. 

If you owned the old set, the addition is the NT. I'm not sure of the differences between the revised NT set.

Posts 9134
Forum MVP
Mark Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2016 5:05 PM

These are dictionaries of primarily Hebrew and Greek words. They are not lexicons, but supplement lexicons with more in-depth studies of the words. The NT one is worth owning. It's pretty much a standard for Greek word study, and updated in this new edition.

The OT one is a mix of word studies and articles on people, places, things, etc. that one finds in the OT. It has Hebrew headings for the Hebrew words and English headings for the topics. I find it's a bit of a challenge to make good use of. 

Pastor, North Park Baptist Church

Bridgeport, CT USA

Posts 7054
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2016 5:43 PM

Mark Smith:

These are dictionaries of primarily Hebrew and Greek words. They are not lexicons, but supplement lexicons with more in-depth studies of the words. The NT one is worth owning. It's pretty much a standard for Greek word study, and updated in this new edition.

The OT one is a mix of word studies and articles on people, places, things, etc. that one finds in the OT. It has Hebrew headings for the Hebrew words and English headings for the topics. I find it's a bit of a challenge to make good use of. 

I agree with Mark. I wish I had the old edition of the NT by Colin Brown, though, as it's the one that is quoted the most in other works. That being said, I've been using Silva's edition quite a bit lately. Nicely done ✅ I picked Silva's edition for $79.99 a few months ago on one of those rare Zondervan's sale. The OT was also on sale for $63.99...like I said, very cheap rare sale.

DAL

Posts 677
Robert Peters | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2016 7:52 PM

can someone share a couple example pages so I can see what they have? 

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Dec 23 2016 10:33 PM

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 677
Robert Peters | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2016 1:50 PM

Look like a little more information than DBL

Posts 1023
Keith Pang | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2016 1:54 PM
Way more info than DBL. I would get it! I have them and use them, and have benefited from both resources.

Shalom, in Christ, Keith. Check out my music www.soundcloud.com/kpang808

Posts 677
Robert Peters | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2016 4:17 PM

Keith Pang:
Way more info than DBL. I would get it! I have them and use them, and have benefited from both resources.

My main question is it worth it given that I have reformed portfolio 6, baptist diamond 6, and diamon 7, plus WBC, NICOT/NICNT, NAC, hermenia, among many others. What new info would I get

Posts 7054
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2016 5:34 PM
Robert Peters:

Keith Pang:

My main question is it worth it given that I have reformed portfolio 6, baptist diamond 6, and diamon 7, plus WBC, NICOT/NICNT, NAC, hermenia, among many others. What new info would I get

Yes they are worth it! They treat words in a more in-depth way than commentaries and other dictionaries would. Then again how much information do you need on any word for a sermon or class? You already own a lot of academic works, so if you have money to spare, then go for them, they're worth it. But hurry, tomorrow they'll be gone 🤡
Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Dec 24 2016 6:01 PM

Robert Peters:

Look like a little more information than DBL

For χαίρω, NIDNTTE and NIDOTTE have substantially more than DBL as three screen shots is not enough.

Robert Peters:

Scope of word meaning compared to usage by an author (or particular passage), which may provide insight for author's expression in a passage.

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 7054
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 25 2016 5:41 AM

Wow,  they weren't fooling around when they said the 12 days of Logos sale featuring Zondervan would be gone by midnight on the 24th!  I'm glad I took advantage of it.  Let's hope better sales appear next year.  

How about a Baker vs Zondervan March madness? That would definitely be fun!!!

DAL

Posts 677
Robert Peters | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Dec 25 2016 11:12 AM

I chose not to get given the above resource and my master journal set I figured It wouldn't add significantly to what i already had and paying 250. 

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS